• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No one in the right mind would even consider that I was a police officer.

I suspect that some people are having trouble when they carry openly because of other factors, i.e. they're going to have problems dealing with other or otherwise attract unusual attention because of their behavior. Sometimes the presence of the gun is the real issue, but it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that it's not always even close to the primary reason.

"ThatGuy"

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2008
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I am unaware of any gunshops threatening arrest as you have stated. I have been in almost all gun shops that I am aware exist and have carried and talked guns with pretty much all of the owners, and employees.
    I dont particularly remember carrying openly in all of the shops but I have made it be known (without removing it from the holster) that I was carrying. I have never been hasselled even a little bit. :popcorn:

ETA: I am speaking primarily in the terre haute area.

I have seen numerous people in the gun stores that I frequent OC. I dont have my license yet, but I will most likely at least OC in the gun stores I go to. I know 2 of the gun stores near me encourage OC as it is one of our rights.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    No one in the right mind would even consider that I was a police officer.
    ... snip ...
    Hmm, wasn't there a cop on TV back in the 70s....

Oh, yeh, now I remember...

MV5BNTM5NDE5NTQyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDk1OTA5MQ@@._V1._CR0,0,353,353_SS90_.jpg

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    :+1: Coach. I went to a convenience mart at i-70 and SR46 for gas right after our match this afternoon. I was open carrying my service model XD-9 in my competition holster. i went in to get a drink and pay for my gas and nobody said a word.

:+1:They are seeing guns in the open there more and more.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    "I guarantee you, if any private citizen dares to open carry while strolling along a public sidewalk on the perimeter of a public school or ISU, you will be seriously harassed by the police. And you might even be arrested, rather the charge sticks or not."

The ISU police have told me on the phone that they would confiscate a pocket knife if they saw me carrying on campus. I did not bandy words but I wondered under what legal authority that was going to be done. I just responed with "I see." Too bad those Virginia Tech Police did not have the same policy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey, if someone goes Virginia Tech on the ISU campus, will the campus police try to confiscate their guns?

bigman2006

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Monticello
    Ok so I have been considering lately about open carrying and I live in the small town of Monticello, and I am worried that I am going to open up a can of worms. has this ever happened to anyone of you? let me know

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Well Chris,
    Since you live in the small town that houses an amusement park it may cause some looks but it should be ok.
    I was there this summer on a company picknick pass and spent the entire day with my 1911 on my side. Concealed of course. Inside the amusement park. It was a pretty fun day. For the first time ever my boys rode almost every ride possible with me. WE all had a blast!!!

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    to rhino, coach and all the other th readers and carriers nice to know there are others exercising our right to carry open in th. i still carry the letter around with me from chief plasse that was referenced earlier but am glad that i have not had to use it yet. i get some wierd looks at various parts of town but no mwg calls, knock on wood. I would definitely be game for a carry event around terre haute if people would be interested since it seems all the events on here happen so far away, just a thought.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    to rhino, coach and all the other th readers and carriers nice to know there are others exercising our right to carry open in th. i still carry the letter around with me from chief plasse that was referenced earlier but am glad that i have not had to use it yet. i get some wierd looks at various parts of town but no mwg calls, knock on wood. I would definitely be game for a carry event around terre haute if people would be interested since it seems all the events on here happen so far away, just a thought.

I plan to try and do it when I can in TH. Two nights a week I am on the ISU campus, and of course guns are not permitted. Nor knives. When I sit in class and look out onto the quad north of Stalker hall I cannot help but think about 1966 and Charles Whitman (sp?) When the door is closed and I cannot hear or see into the hall Virginia Tech comes to mind.

I have been thinking about an empty holster protest, but I am going to wait until the semester ends and see how the grades go. If I can pull a couple of more A's I should be over the hump so to speak.

In my Atlantic History course I am writing a paper on the Second Amendment and I think the Professor is approaching it with an open mind.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

We had two, pre-planned (discussed here on INGO) open carry events in Terre Haute recently. One was 27SEP08 and the other 04OCT08.

There will be more!

notch91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2008
    oc'd 1st time this weekend

I oc'd 1st time this weekend. Went to the radisson after a wedding, thought the lady behind the counter would freak out when we checked in. But she didnt even notice. I usually carry my 1911 iwb but it was cool to oc.

Top Bottom