• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    So cops should go around tackling everyone with a visible gun, regardless?

I'm not sure what part of my post, or anything I've ever posted makes you think that I advocated these actions of these specific cops who jumped my brother, or any other cops who jumped someone who was legally carrying a holstered firearm. Maybe you could point me to it?

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    That's a whole lot of assumption there.

1. Mr. Grabby got KO'd at the opening of the match. Having a badge does not wake you up faster.
    2. An officer would have likely had a better grasp of the law and been less likely to be "Mr. Hero" via the path of "Mr. Grabby".
    3. An officer would have likely TALKED to the guy which would have been the best thing to do all around.
    4. An officer would have used a better technique than the "sneak grab fu" that only ends well on TV. They get training in such things.
    5. An officer might have instead got chatting with the guy about holsters, ammo, guns, etc.

Or, and officer might have not been concerned at all.

Mr. Grabby went to be Mr. Hero and instead he got to be Mr. VanWinkle.

:)

I agree with you about a police officer going about this in a different way, BUT, what about when it does happen with a police officer? OH well just another scenario to think about.

INGunGuy

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    My friend had this happen to him in Indiana a couple years ago. The man that tried to grab the gun out of his holster was a uniformed LEO. Since my friend saw that he was a cop, he didn't react with violence, he just asked for the LEO's name and badge number and reported the incident to the officer's police department and said that if the officer tried to make a big thing of it, he would press charges of theft against the officer. The officer had to write him a formal apology and said that he is now aware of the laws regarding open carry and would not attempt such a thing with anyone again.
    I'm glad to see that someone else got what was coming to them for reaching for another man's gun. I think the guy did the right thing, reacting the way he did towards the security guard. I think more people need to OC to educate the public that not everyone who carries a gun is out to shoot up places and not everyone who carries a gun is a criminal.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Wow! This would have been an intense tunnel-vision-inducing incident. Glad to hear that the security guard learned a non-lethal lesson and that the OC'er wasn't charged with anything.

+1 to the idea of the OC'er pressing charges against the security guard... although maybe he is trying to be gracious.

ntrngr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Sheepdog HQ
    I think more people need to OC to educate the public that not everyone who carries a gun is out to shoot up places and not everyone who carries a gun is a criminal.

...and this is the reason I do it. I'll agree with EVERYONE that says you shouldn't do it because its tactically disadvantageous, however, socially, its a good thing. The biggest problem we have as CC or OC is the reaction of the sheeple.

This incident in Georgia should serve as a warning to all security guards everywhere. Your *ACTIONS* with your firearm defines your conduct, not the mere *POSSESSION* of it. This is the wall of idiocy we are fighting everywhere. There are people out there that are just freaked out by guns since they never see them in a good light because of the "flashing indoctrination box" that sets in their living room.

I open carry once in a while. If the population density goes up, so do the red flags in the places you go. The higher the need to carry a gun, the more they don't like you to.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    So Mr. Iwishiwasacop got cold cocked? HAHAHAHAHAHA Serves him right. Don't reach for what aint yours. He's lucky all he got was a thumping. He could have ended up in a casket. Bet he'll mind his manners next time.

aikidoka

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Hammond
    Here's a question (probably best answered by Kirk, but hey, anybody can take a stab)

Where does an attempted gun grab fall in the general "Level of Force" thing? I'd think that a guy trying to grab my gun intends to use it against me - how justified am I in shooting?

I'll take a stab at this.

Depends on what is required to get them off your gun and the results of said actions. In this case, his reaction ended the threat, no need to shoot or even draw. Other cases may end with you having taken back complete control of your handgun but the perps are still a threat and not giving up and justifying drawing and possibly shooting to defend your life.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Personally speaking I need to attend some Civilian geared course on this subject. 'Cause I know what my Soldier reactions would have been... Sometimes training needs to be able to be untaught...

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Here's what makes me curious, and I hope some LEOs respond: What would have happened to the guy if a cop had tried to grab his gun and before realizing it was a cop, the guy had struck the cop a couple of times, let's say it was hard enough to injure the cop badly, or to knock him out. What would have happened to him?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Personally speaking I need to attend some Civilian geared course on this subject. 'Cause I know what my Soldier reactions would have been... Sometimes training needs to be able to be untaught...

And sometimes it doesn't. I think this is one of those times. I was always trained that a gun grab was a direct attempt on my life, and to respond accordingly. I see no reason to change that. If a security guard tries to steal my gun and ends up dead, that's just Darwinism in action.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    The problem that I see Joe is most of the stuff in my bag of tricks is lethal. Never really gave much thought to learning something less than lethal...

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Here's what makes me curious, and I hope some LEOs respond: What would have happened to the guy if a cop had tried to grab his gun and before realizing it was a cop, the guy had struck the cop a couple of times, let's say it was hard enough to injure the cop badly, or to knock him out. What would have happened to him?
    humboldt_jail_prisoner.jpg
    I am not a LEO but this would be my guess.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

Probably the same thing that happened here. That is, assuming that the leo didn't identify himself, it was a sneak gun grab and there was no law broken prior to the gun grab. I do suspect a prosecutor would be more aggressive in this case but an attempted robbery is an attempted robbery no matter who attempts it.

Top Bottom