• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    This past weekend my family and I were having a camp out at Mounds State Park in Anderson, IN. The first evening we decided to take a late night hike. At the start of the walk we stopped by the little store that they have at the entrance to the camping area. We picked up some ice cream and stepped back out to the front porch area to enjoy them. While getting ready to leave a DNR vehicle stopped at the store and my wife and I greeted the DNR officer politely and upon his seeing my holstered weapon he immediately said in a loud voice and pointing at my weapon "You'll have to cover that up!". I asked by what law? He just repeated "You'll have to cover that up!". I repeated "By what law?" He then said do you have a concealed carry permit? To which I replied "No I don't! I have a License to Carry which has nothing to do with concealed carry!" I then took it out of my wallet, handed it to him and ask him to "Please show me anywhere on the permit that it states "Concealed Carry". He then repeated "well you'll have to cover it up. You know allot of people just don't like to see that!"

My wife then asked "Did someone report that their was a person with a gun?" To which again he replied "You'll have to cover that up, some people just don't like to see that!" Again my wife asked "Did someone report it?" to which I answered by stating "Of course no one has reported it". He then said "Well what am I supposed to do if somebody calls in to say there is a man with a gun?" I explained you just take that opportunity to explain to them that it's legal and unless they were brandishing or acting in an unsafe manner that it is totally legal. To which once again he replied "Your gonna have to cover that up!" I said "Look what's your name?" To which he would only give me his first name. I then explained that due to the late hour (approx. 11:00 pm) I would cover it up for now but if necessary Mitch Daniels and I would visit back here to explain the law to him tomorrow!

The following morning I called to find out who was in charge of the park that weekend. I was told it was the Asst. Park Director Dustin Clark. I then proceeded back to the office area to meet with Mr. Clark.

Upon entering Mr. Clark's office I was very politely greeted and explained the above situation. I told him I felt that I was treated very rudely and felt that the DNR person acted extremely unprofessionally not to mention that he DIDN'T KNOW THE LAW! Mr. Clark then asked me if I had a Concealed Carry Permit (Oh lord here we go again!) To which I replied No I don't and no one else in Indiana does either. I have a License to Carry a weapon and then proceeded to show him a print out of the State Police FAQ page 7 which covers Open Carry. I then proceeded to also show him a print out of an article the Indianapolis News which told about the Head of DNR Indiana in 2006 when Mitch Daniel's signed in the OK to carry in parks law that he ALSO carried Open Carry on duty.

Now in defense of Mr. Clark he did mention that he had just transferred into the Indiana post within the past 3 months from Florida and wasn't up on the weapons laws as he should be. But that from everything I had shown him and mentioned he felt that I was totally within my rights!

I then asked him to pull up the Indiana State Police web site on his computer and showed him the associated areas. I then took him to the Indy Gun Owners.com web site and explained to him that if he had ANY questions concerning the laws in Indiana that someone here would be more that happy to direct him to the information and that the site itself was a WEALTH OF INFORMATION! :ingo: He bookmarked both sites.

At this point Mr. Clark stated that Yes I was well within my rights to OC within the park and the DNR person has been mistaken and acted in a very unprofessional manner. He asked me what I would like to have done. I stated "Only 2 things, #1 that he educate all members of his staff as soon as possible to the laws of Indiana concerning OC and how to properly and professionally handle situations in the future. And to take any possible calls from concerned citizens as a teaching opportunity. #2 I just wanted to insure that there would be no further harassment to me or others that choose to OC in Mounds Park." He said that he could insure that both would happen immediately.

I then reiterated about the IndyGO site and it's value to understanding Indiana Laws concerning weapons. I also stated that I would like to ask his permission to use his name in a post on the site. I also explained that I wouldn't use the DNR reps name as I was more interested in educating others then condemning them. He said that I could use his name and he really appreciated the information and details that he received. He guaranteed that there would be no further harassment and that he hoped I enjoyed the rest of the weekend.

The following day I continued to OC without incident except for as we were packing up to leave a person that had walked by earlier in the day approached me and stated "Hey I just wanted to say I appreciate you for choosing to OC and demonstrate your/our rights". He related that he chooses not to OC at this time but someday would like to. Once again I took the opportunity to pass on the INDYGUNOWNERS web site info in hopes of educating another to the actual laws. :ingo:

So all in all it was a GREAT WEEKEND! God Bless America! :patriot:

Please this isn't an attempt to get the dead horse rebeaten about OC vs. CC so please don't take the time to enlighten us with the "I don't see why you feel the need to........." comments. You carry your way I'll continue to carry mine! :cheers:

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Good story. One thing I wonder about. You said a DNR vehicle pulled up and you referred to the person as an "officer". Was this an actual Conservation Officer or just a DNR employee who told you to "cover that up"?

I wonder, as it seems a lot of people think anyone driving a DNR vehicle is a CO which is not true. These other employees may be nothing other than a trash can emptier and have no authority of any kind.

serpicostraight

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    all over all it sounded like it ended good nobody got hurt and nobody went to jail. but if you want to enforce the law know the law dont try to make it up as you go thats when bad things happen. its good that they are going to enlighten the dnr on the law but he should have known it to begin with and the whole situation never would have happened.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You handled the situation very well, taking the opportunity to educate people and bring them up to speed on the current gun laws. Thanks!

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Excellent! Nice job handling the initial encounter and following up to ensure resolution. :yesway:

Repped :)

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan
    I almost missed this thread since I don't visit this section of the forums much. Perhaps it should be in the "Carry Issues" section?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Glad it turned out well, and way to educate the state employee.

That said, I don't know why people feel the need to OC. Some people just don't want to see that.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    For the record, this site is INGO, as in the whole state, not IndyGO....that's a bus service...

Now that's sad!!! LOL I apologize!!! I guess it pays to advertise.

As for the question on "Was this an actual Conservation Officer or just a DNR employee who told you to "cover that up"?"

Not sure about the individuals exact status. He had on a complete DNR outfit and driving the DNR vehicle. :dunno:

Thanks for the comments.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Now that's sad!!! LOL I apologize!!! I guess it pays to advertise.

As for the question on "Was this an actual Conservation Officer or just a DNR employee who told you to "cover that up"?"

Not sure about the individuals exact status. He had on a complete DNR outfit and driving the DNR vehicle. :dunno:

Thanks for the comments.

Hint: Conservation officers don't drive (generally) a generic DNR vehicle. Plus they have badges and guns.

-J-

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Hint: Conservation officers don't drive (generally) a generic DNR vehicle. Plus they have badges and guns.

-J-
    That's my point entirely. If it was a CO, that's one thing. He's still wrong.
    If it was an employee of the park, DNR clothing or whatever, he has no authority in a matter like this.

I'm retired from the state. Not DNR but DOT. I can assure you, there are many excellent employees working for the state of Indiana.

AND, there are a lot of d*ckwads also.

If I had been told by this person to cover up, and he was a CO, I would have done like the OP did. However if it was an "employee" he would have been told to go pound sand and have a nice day.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    Great story. It doesn't sound like it could have gone any better with his boss. This is a positive spread of wealth...the wealth of knowledge of laws.

BIGE7.62

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    66   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    I know BOLD letters come across as a loud/ or yelling statement,but I feel at times we should speak up,in a room with everyone talking sometimes we must raise our voice to be heard and not just be a noisy herd !! Once again thanks to the member who PM;ed me on the use of bold /cap letter's

Top Bottom