• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The great thing is, this is America and despite the haters on either side, you have the freedom to buy online, locally or a mix of both as it suits your own needs.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So you hold a entire retail industry at fault for one independently owned gun store ?????
    Who do you transfer your internet purchases from ??

And this is not personal, but if you really feel that your local gun shops are that ill stocked and you could do an much better job, then why haven't you Sir gone to you local bank and get a small business loan and open your own gun and supply meca superstore. I mean really, do you town good. It's not hard, a couple hundred grand and some sweat and poof, you are a Corporate CEO.
    You will quickly find out being the CEO ain't all jet setting around and drinking Manhattan's.

/Boom, drop the mic, end thread!

The problem is, it's not just "one gun store" and it's not just one guy. Not everybody lives close to a USDS or whatever store is an INGO favorite. Many of us live near stores that have never grasped the concept of customer service or professionalism or whatever trait that tends to have people flocking to online stores. I can't speak for anybody else but I'm not driving an hour or hour and a half to go "strike up a relationship" so that someday, some guy I might see 2-3 times per year, might cut me a deal on gun.

One of the gun stores near me has finally seen the light. They are getting out of the accessory business. They simply cannot compete with online vendors. Another one of our area stores still seems set on maintaining such an inventory. The thing is, I've been in both of their stores looking for stuff and they never seem to stock what I'm looking for (except for reloading stuff) -- I always have to order it. The market's changing. Some businesses just won't adapt and they'll die.

seagullplayer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2016
    Crawford Co
    I hate to buy online, I do pay more to buy local. It is only when I just can not get it local that I am forced to consider otherwise.

What really gets me is when a B&M store doesn't carry inventory and just wants to order it for you.
    I want product in one hand and payment in the other. Regardless of the product.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The problem is, it's not just "one gun store" and it's not just one guy. Not everybody lives close to a USDS or whatever store is an INGO favorite. Many of us live near stores that have never grasped the concept of customer service or professionalism or whatever trait that tends to have people flocking to online stores. I can't speak for anybody else but I'm not driving an hour or hour and a half to go "strike up a relationship" so that someday, some guy I might see 2-3 times per year, might cut me a deal on gun.

One of the gun stores near me has finally seen the light. They are getting out of the accessory business. They simply cannot compete with online vendors. Another one of our area stores still seems set on maintaining such an inventory. The thing is, I've been in both of their stores looking for stuff and they never seem to stock what I'm looking for (except for reloading stuff) -- I always have to order it. The market's changing. Some businesses just won't adapt and they'll die.
    What do you do when the LGS gets out of the online transfer business? 17 merely stated in different terms, if your LGS doesn't offer what you want, at the price you want, in the quantities that you want, with the service you want, put up your own money to make a gun owners utopia!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So you hold a entire retail industry at fault for one independently owned gun store ?????
    Who do you transfer your internet purchases from ??

And this is not personal, but if you really feel that your local gun shops are that ill stocked and you could do an much better job, then why haven't you Sir gone to you local bank and get a small business loan and open your own gun and supply meca superstore. I mean really, do you town good. It's not hard, a couple hundred grand and some sweat and poof, you are a Corporate CEO.
    You will quickly find out being the CEO ain't all jet setting around and drinking Manhattan's.

/Boom, drop the mic, end thread!

What do you do when the get out of the online transfer business?
    There are guys out there that that's all they do---take delivery of your order and call your 4473 in when you come to pick it up. For all I know, there may be a market there. Could a small store front make a living just doing transfers for folks? I don't know but the guy I've dealt with the last few years makes extra spending money for his retirement years doing it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    There are guys out there that that's all they do---take delivery of your order and call your 4473 in when you come to pick it up. For all I know, there may be a market there. Could a small store front make a living just doing transfers for folks? I don't know but the guy I've dealt with the last few years makes extra spending money for his retirement years doing it.
    Again, why don't you or the OP pony up your own, or SBA money, and build what you would like for someone else to do for you? The recurring theme here is I can get it cheaper online, or they never have what I want at the LGS. The nation as a whole, has become a race to the bottom, first one to zero wins! Honestly, when I started my business, I thought about opening an LGS, for about a minute! Extra fed intrusion, Internet whiners, yeah, no thanks!(BTW the whiner thing wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular.). It does seem, that everyone wants to lambast the LGS, but no one wants to step up and show the rest how it should be done?

Nate@TeamAB

Plinker
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    Definitely an educational thread to say the least.

Applied Ballistics is luckily in a unique position. We are a gun store, as well as an indoor range. Being able to rent a gun and shoot it before you purchase it sets us apart from most LGS as well as online retailers. Any gun store has room for improvement, especially with fierce local and online competition. As soon as they lose sight of that, as another poster said, they're on their way out.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Definitely an educational thread to say the least.

Applied Ballistics is luckily in a unique position. We are a gun store, as well as an indoor range. Being able to rent a gun and shoot it before you purchase it sets us apart from most LGS as well as online retailers. Any gun store has room for improvement, especially with fierce local and online competition. As soon as they lose sight of that, as another poster said, they're on their way out.
    That's probably the only way to survive, and possibly thrive in the race to zero!

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013

I'll ad to what I'm saying, any gun store that transfers ( for just a small transfer fee ) a new or used gun in that they themselves can order from a manufacture or distributer is STUPID... And needs to learn business 101
    All they are doing is cutting there competition and themselves own throat and themselfs out of making a profit.. It used to be that way, it was the last time non brick and mortar FFL's that changed this. It used to be I'll order any gun in Shotgun News for 50 to 75 dollars so the fulltime dealer that has actual bills to pay for a building, employees also made a reasonable profit on a gun he could stock.

Last edited:

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I would go wherever your dollar goes the farthest. If its local great if its online so be it. Paying more to shop local is pretty silly.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I was looking at a DW Guardian around the holidays. LGS was something like $1,499.00 and offered to deal when I was ready. Found it on Gunbroker at $1,385.00. Noticed it was listed as being in Indy. Sent the seller a email explaining I was local and asked who they were. They responded quickly and invited me in to take a look. It turned out to be the same store I had first seen it at. I thought that was pretty cool as the customer service I have experienced there is 1st class. I didn't have the opportunity to buy the gun yet but when I do I know I can go in and have a pretty open discussion on pricing. That to me is kind of getting the best of both worlds.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I do not have the business acumen to run a store of any kind. I only know that I prefer to purchase from a local supplier where I can test the grip of a hand gun, look at the sights, get a feel for the angle of the grip. It just makes for a better choice. However, I do not like dealing with surly people who really do not want to talk to me, or who mock me for what I do not know.

I know that purchasing via the internet requires I add at least $25 for FFL and $30-50 for shipping. I can add, too. So if it costs $625 at the shop, and I can get it for $525 on line with free shipping, I will offer the LGS $550 for the unit. If the LGS will match the offer, or come close, we can do some business. If he can't price match, I will purchase on line and set things up with a local FFL who is willing to enter some data into his computer, file the form, and do some paper work for $25 for thirty minutes of his time.

I prefer to walk in the store, finger the gun, pay for it, and go home. I do not like to chew the fat, shoot the bull, have a cold one, or hang out with someone I do not know for a year in the hope that some day he may give me a fair and honest price. If I can't get the piece I want at the price I want, I go elsewhere. If all the LGSs close up, I can file for my own FFL or drive further.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    For people who live in Lexington, KY Bud's is a LGS...

Buds is not the end all, I believe there still is a few other gun / archery shops in Lexington... Just because Bud's has 150+ employees and a 200,000 sq ft building his prices can't be matched or beat is some cases. And i dont believe Buds stocks all makes and models of firearms availible in the USA.
    Buds has a heck of alot of overhead he has to pay every week.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Exactly, PROFIT is evil and must be destroyed! The race to zero is alive and well!
    No profit is not evil but most people selling online are also a brick and mortar business just not local business. But if local gun shop is higher priced go elsewhere competition and choice are drivers of free market.

shootamc58

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    noblesville
    I like buying local and don't mind paying a bit of a premium to do it. I like the customer service and I'm an immediate gratification kind of guy. If I see it and buy it, I want to take it home right then.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I do not have the business acumen to run a store of any kind. I only know that I prefer to purchase from a local supplier where I can test the grip of a hand gun, look at the sights, get a feel for the angle of the grip. It just makes for a better choice. However, I do not like dealing with surly people who really do not want to talk to me, or who mock me for what I do not know.

I know that purchasing via the internet requires I add at least $25 for FFL and $30-50 for shipping. I can add, too. So if it costs $625 at the shop, and I can get it for $525 on line with free shipping, I will offer the LGS $550 for the unit. If the LGS will match the offer, or come close, we can do some business. If he can't price match, I will purchase on line and set things up with a local FFL who is willing to enter some data into his computer, file the form, and do some paper work for $25 for thirty minutes of his time.

I prefer to walk in the store, finger the gun, pay for it, and go home. I do not like to chew the fat, shoot the bull, have a cold one, or hang out with someone I do not know for a year in the hope that some day he may give me a fair and honest price. If I can't get the piece I want at the price I want, I go elsewhere. If all the LGSs close up, I can file for my own FFL or drive further.

It makes me happy that you understand that you can't operate a gun store, most will not admit that.
    But also understand that a viable gunstore can't stay open making 25 dollars for 30 min worth of work.
    The guy mowing your lawn has a better profit margin... ( not jabbing the lawn guy )

Last edited:

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I buy locally on most things. We have to support our friends at the LGS if we expect them to stay in business. I've bought plenty of guns off of Gunbroker, but it is ussally something used, and generally kind of obscure, that just won't show up locally.

On a new gun purchase, online will almost always appear cheaper, until you figure in shipping and a transfer fee. If you run the brick and mortar guys out of business trying to save 10 dollars, where are you gonna have your online purchases shipped to?

It still ends up being cheaper online as most ship free and no sales tax. I'd love to support local but if price is not right, I'll still go online, unless they price match and include the transfer fee, then I'll be willing to pay of the sales tax here. It's business.

Top Bottom