• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    ok so I have made up my mind to purchase an Emp 4. Prices range locally from $979.00 to $1099.00 plus tax and background. One Store had quoted me $910.00 the when I got there after a 40 minute drive oh the price is $999.00. Me well I spoke with ... while at your location and was told the price would be $910.00 well the if you want it its $999.00. So with that in mind I can purchase online for a cost of about $956.00 free shipping and includes transfer fee and background check. So why not buy on line?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    One thing's for sure...I don't deal with people that jerk me around. Opinions vary about Internet buying vs. LGS buying. I've bought several guns from Internet sources and would do so again.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You will get a lot of replies about supporting your local gun shop. It's your money. I don't have much so I buy high quality but at the best price I can find. I see no point in paying a brick and mortar store more for an item if there is no value added to that particular purchase.

Let your wallet and conscious guide you.

I certainly would not patronize the shop that changed the price on you if that is what truly happened and it was not miscommunication.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Because eventually there will be very few true Brick and Mortar Stores to do business with. And when that happens you will have to order everything for what sport you do off the internet. You also are supporting local business's.
    I would suggest that you find a local gun shop and just do business with them. Most generally speaking better deals come with being a store supporter. Like you walk into a store that you have done business with for a few years and they know what your wants and desires are on you wish list.
    And one of your wish list items walks out of the back room and its yours at a nice discount.
    Think about if you buy a new 1000 dollar pistol from Buds online and out of the gate you have a issue with it.. The shop you transfered it from could care less that you have a problem. It's your baby to deal with..
    Now if you bought it from your local full time brick & mortar shop, you just stop in and a quick chat and they take care of it for you..
    What so many people just don't seem to understand, that if as a business you don't turn a reasonable profit, you just go out of business.
    A business has to not only pay all the bills associated to that business it HAS to turn a reasonable profit.

Edit... I hope that all that disagree, one day they too own a small business and then they will understand very quickly working for wages just does not keep the wolf away. You gotta make a fair profit..

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    They have two stores I was at the one that is closer to me and located by other stores we often go to. I always stop there first to see if they have what I a m looking for. One of the staff called over to the other store and spoke with.... and I was quoted a price of $910.00. When I got there I was told if you want it they are hard to find and it will be $999.00. I really don't agree with it and think they should have honored the price quoted. Not that it matters but I have purchased several handguns from them in the past in a broad price range. In the past they had been wiling to negotiate usually up to 3% if you pay cash so I always made sure I had cash in hand and I usually don't go there unless have researched my purchase and I am ready to buy. So most definitely will not be making any more purchases there it really makes me think I made a bad call supporting them in the past as I have sometimes paid more than I would have elsewhere. But I figured that if I am getting what I want and don't have to wait and supporting my local gun store then paying a little more for a product was worth it.

I miss Jerry's Gun store he was always fair and was very helpful.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Because eventually there will be very few true Brick and Mortar Stores to do business with. And when that happens you will have to order everything for what sport you do off the internet. You also are supporting local business's.
    I would suggest that you find a local gun shop and just do business with them. Most generally speaking better deals come with being a store supporter. Like you walk into a store that you have done business with for a few years and they know what your wants and desires are on you wish list.
    And one of your wish list items walks out of the back room and its yours at a nice discount.
    Think about if you buy a new 1000 dollar pistol from Buds online and out of the gate you have a issue with it.. The shop you transfered it from could care less that you have a problem. It's your baby to deal with..
    Now if you bought it from your local full time brick & mortar shop, you just stop in and a quick chat and they take care of it for you..
    What so many people just don't seem to understand, that if as a business you don't turn a reasonable profit, you just go out of business.
    A business has to not only pay all the bills associated to that business it HAS to turn a reasonable profit.

Edit... I hope that all that disagree, one day they too own a small business and then they will understand very quickly working for wages just does not keep the wolf away. You gotta make a fair profit..

up to my last experience with the store in question I would agree with you. However once they quoted me a price and I asked that please double check it I was told that to ask for .....the owners son and when I got there I was told well they are hard to find and would not honor the price they quoted less than an hour ago. To me this is really price gouging and both stores have lost my business going forward. It would have been one thing if he said sorry I made a mistake and the price is actually this that would have been a whole different story.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit

I believe what you are failing to understand that the business model has changed over the past 20-years. I stopped doing business with brick & mortar sellers years ago. A good chunk of gun shops are run by jerks who don't deserve my business. They simply cannot compete with internet stores on price because their cost structure is too different. Most gun shops (and many similar businesses) can't get it thru their head that they will only survive by delivering outstanding customer service. Problem is, the online guys are getting better all the time.

My wife and I owned a small business in the 90s. When the internet came along, I soon realized I couldn't compete the same way, so my business moved online and out of the building we were in. Best thing I ever did. There will always be folks that can't buy unless they finger the merchandise first. There will also be some that can't buy unless they actually touch what they are buying. But as younger generations come up and the older folks pass on, this is fading. One only needs to look at retail sales to see where this is going.

Brick & Mortar will always be with us. But as time passes on, this business model will change and evolve. Fewer Brick & Mortar will survive. And the ones that do will be those with a model that delights customers.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I try to buy locally unless they are completely out of their mind. I research the best price I can find online then try to negotiate with a local dealer. If the dealer comes within $20 [incl. tax, etc.] of the online store, I'll buy locally. I understand making a profit but I don't want them to retire off of me.

That said, if I was quoted a price and then went to the store to purchase and they raised the price, shame on them! They not only lost that sale, they lost any future sales! I would also tell them that.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I usually purchase ammo online, simply because I can't find what I want in the quantities I want. Guns are a different matter. I try to support a LGS as much as possible, as long as it's a decent shop. (No attitude, talking down to customers, lies to make a sale, taking advantage of under-educated customers, etc). A couple years ago I ordered a G21SF online because they had one in stock at a normal price. For some reason no one at any of the actual shops were able to get one for me for months on end. I've had good luck with my LGS and they understood the online purchase and completed it with no problems or hard feelings. I had purchased many things before that and after as well.

Customer service matters. In the case of the shop that did this to you they obviously don't care. If it were me I would NEVER do any business with them again. I would make it very clear as to why as well. If I had made purchases from them in the past I would probably gather receipts and make a trip one last time and explain to the owner that he will be getting no more of my money. I've actually done this in the past with Ludco before he got in trouble. I was in there a couple of times with a friend who was looking but not quite ready to buy yet. After about the third time we went looking he made a comment about wasting his time because we never make a purchase. My friend promptly turned around and walked out. Over that weekend I gathered up my receipts from purchases I made from him and went back in there on the following Monday. I put 23 of them down on the counter from the past 10 years and explained that my friend wasn't ready to purchase yet and was still looking. Too bad for him since neither one of us would be back.

When businesses alienate customers they need called out on it. Poor customer service should hurt.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I believe what you are failing to understand that the business model has changed over the past 20-years. I stopped doing business with brick & mortar sellers years ago. A good chunk of gun shops are run by jerks who don't deserve my business. They simply cannot compete with internet stores on price because their cost structure is too different. Most gun shops (and many similar businesses) can't get it thru their head that they will only survive by delivering outstanding customer service. Problem is, the online guys are getting better all the time.

My wife and I owned a small business in the 90s. When the internet came along, I soon realized I couldn't compete the same way, so my business moved online and out of the building we were in. Best thing I ever did. There will always be folks that can't buy unless they finger the merchandise first. There will also be some that can't buy unless they actually touch what they are buying. But as younger generations come up and the older folks pass on, this is fading. One only needs to look at retail sales to see where this is going.

Brick & Mortar will always be with us. But as time passes on, this business model will change and evolve. Fewer Brick & Mortar will survive. And the ones that do will be those with a model that delights customers.

I'm almost 60 years old. I own a S cooperation. I understand quite well.
    Some business's certainly excell on the internet..
    Some don't, me I manufacture tools for a small market.. I sell to landscape / Irrigation supply houses. Other than email, no need for the direct marketing internet for me.
    My cousins own 2 gun shops in Maryland, one of the toughest states to own a gun store. I truly do understand.. If your local shops are not supported, you will eventually have no local gun stores.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Many online stores like Bud's Gun Shop also have a brick & mortar store so the business is changing. If you are a local gun store and you don't a website then you better get with the modern age and get a website or you might not be around for the next generation. I like local gun shops but I buy about 90% of my purchases online due to cost savings. While some say the LGS have to make a reasonable profit, we as consumers also have to stretch our dollar and shop wisely. It works both ways. I often call the LGS and ask them if they can match. If they cannot, well then it should be no hard feelings.

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I hate to type but here goes.... The tale of two gun shops.....I frequent two different gun shops quite often. I have purchased a number of guns from both. I don't whittle down their prices, I get the price if I like it I buy, if I don't I won't. I am respectful at both stores and have a good relationship with managers / owners / employees. Store 'A' doesn't sell on the internet and is a pillar of the community. Walk in, they know you by name, greet you with a smile and sometimes a "hey I got something you might be interested in,"

Store'B" sells on the internet and was a Pillar of the community. Key word is "was". Since they started the internet sales their attitude towards walk in customers has fell flat. They have become a "Don't have time for you because I have 50 people I need to call about that item, so do you want it or not"? NO! A quote of theirs was "when that gun leaves this store on a internet sale I will never see it again". Or see me again either.

With internet sales you are with store "B"

Life is to short to be a "B"

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've bought from a few online stores, but only two local gun shops. Both of those purchases were because the customer service at those stores was great (USDS and BGF). I knew that I paid more than I would have online, but wanted to support these shops. Normally I'll mostly buy online or used, because I don't have a lot of extra money to spend on firearms.

up to my last experience with the store in question I would agree with you. However once they quoted me a price and I asked that please double check it I was told that to ask for .....the owners son and when I got there I was told well they are hard to find and would not honor the price they quoted less than an hour ago. To me this is really price gouging and both stores have lost my business going forward. It would have been one thing if he said sorry I made a mistake and the price is actually this that would have been a whole different story.

Like has been mentioned, I would NEVER do business with that LGS again. Let them know why and also let us know who it was so INGO members know what kind of stuff they pull. After hearing your story, I would never visit that shop if I knew the name.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    I just ordered a pistol Friday from a friend that owns a LGS. I paid a bit more for the same pistol I could have ordered online and shipped to his store to do the transfer. I didn't think twice about doing it. I would rather feed his family than someone online that I have never met. Plus as others have said, if there is a problem with it I KNOW he will take care of me any way he can. I buy stuff online, ebay and Amazon are great for those things you just can't find in stores. -Jason

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'll but local when I can, but there are a ~lot~ of guns out there and no shop can get them all at a reasonable price. I tried to buy my PPQ M1 locally, but either no one could get one or the price was $100 more than online.

I always start local, but I also always browse online as part of my due diligence. I'll guess my gun purchases are 50-50, maybe leaning a hair toward LGS. I tend to buy almost all my ammo locally.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I pretty much only buy guns from my local gun stores. But in your case, I would be willing to pay more and get them online before I would ever buy another gun from your local shop. From your story, they are deceptive and I wouldn't do business with them.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I buy locally on most things. We have to support our friends at the LGS if we expect them to stay in business. I've bought plenty of guns off of Gunbroker, but it is ussally something used, and generally kind of obscure, that just won't show up locally.

On a new gun purchase, online will almost always appear cheaper, until you figure in shipping and a transfer fee. If you run the brick and mortar guys out of business trying to save 10 dollars, where are you gonna have your online purchases shipped to?

Top Bottom