• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Good job to the guy for taking immediate and decisive action. Nice to see the Indy Star referred to the bad guy as "the assailant" instead of "victim", as is so often the case.

Well, Channel 13 has no problem calling the criminal "victim."

Here is their story. Shockingly, the criminals family has issues with the shooting.

Alleged robber killed in shooting near downtown - 13 WTHR

According to detectives, Bryan Blevins, 24, shot and killed Christopher Hampton Sunday afternoon. Blevins says Hampton approached Blevins pretending to need change. Once inside the apartment, Hampton allegedly held Blevins and a friend at gunpoint. Blevins told police that's when he fired his weapon.

Hampton's family not only knew about his drug problem, saying he went to 15th and Penn to get drugs, but they also knew about his domestic problems and why he was wearing the GPS tracking device.
    "That was because he and his wife had some issues. She had a restraining order on him but they still communicated with each other," said Hutchison.

Although ruled self-defense, Hampton's family is calling for more investigation. "Four slugs to the chest. It only takes one slug to take a person down. Why four?" Hutchison asked. Christopher Hampton's family says he didn't own or carry a gun, so they question what happened.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    That news article does kind of tick ya off. I don't know what you should call him. He was the victim of the shooting(as in he caught the bullets), even though he was agressor in the crime. atleast without throwing out about 50 "allegedly"'s.

The first line of the article does clear it up a little:

Indianapolis - An Indianapolis man who shot and killed a robber expects to get cleared and not go to jail. He told police the robber had a gun too and he feared for his life and managed to shoot first

As for the family, of course they're going to be in denial and want all the facts. They probably havn't heard much more than the news reporters are telling them during the interview. I do hate how everyone turns into a saint once they're dead. This guy clearly had problems, with the drug use and domestic issues, and yet they blame the ex-wife for those problems. You can hope they take responsibility for the mans actions and leave the "shooter" alone, but they seem like the type who would sue because they can. You know the type.

Oh well, we can all pray for them. :D

Last edited:

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    If somebody (escaped criminally insane convicted murderer) came in a store, holding a severed human head in one hand,and a bloody machete in the other, screaming "I'm going to kill children!",and went to attack a blind, crippled 5 year old orphan in a wheelchair, and it was recorded on 7 sec. cams.and a "good guy", after repeated warnings shot the attacker at the last moment,one time, killing him, the "victim's" family will say "he's just turning his life around, why did HE have to shoot him?"

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    well it was unfortunate someone had to die, but when it comes down to a situation like that something has to be done. This makes me think i should start to CC. I have always thought "ahh i wont need a gun today"...but this story just go to show you, that you never do know! I will keep the shooter, his friends, and the victims family in my prayers.

bigman502

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    2   1   1
    Feb 27, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Now thats what I call saving tax payer dollars.No trial No questions asked just straight up justice.Please give me the shooters name so I can make him the mayor of Indianapolis

IndyClay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Important to be armed, but also aware

Hello all,
    Just joined the forum and must say I have been learning a lot reading the many posts.

In regards to this story...
    I live within sight and earshot (actually heard the gunshots sitting in my apt.) of where this happened. It was a serious wake up call as I assumed the "Old Northside" was a fairly safe neighborhood. After living in a similar Capitol Hill gentryfied neighborhood in DC, I should know better. While all of us can agree the shooter was justified in what he did, the whole unfortunate incident might have been avoided. Anyone who has lived in an urban area for a good amount of time, like myself, would give a couple pointers: 1) try not to engage in a conversation with someone asking for money on the street, best to just walk away (in this case stay out in view of cars passing by until the creep is on his way, then retreat to a safe place). 2) Never say you have money inside or invite a stranger indoors (if the guy really needed change I would have directed him to the CVS that is less than a block away).
    Always a good policy to be highly aware of your situation and try to avoid any contact with suspicious people on the street, unfortunately there are a lot of them in downtown Indy...
    I am just glad the good guy was able to shoot first and straight, or this could have been a very bad situation for several innocent citizens.
    Best,
    Clay

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Great job to the good guy! :yesway: He made the world a better place for us all.

As for this little bit...
    [/COLOR]Although ruled self-defense, Hampton's family is calling for more investigation. "Four slugs to the chest. It only takes one slug to take a person down. Why four?" Hutchison asked. Christopher Hampton's family says he didn't own or carry a gun, so they question what happened.
    This is absolutely ridiculous. I'm sure I don't have to explain to you guys why it is preposterous, but surely someone would explain the fundamental concepts of a gunfight to them? :facepalm:

Also, where is the shame in our modern age? :dunno: If someone you know or love turns to drugs and crime and tries to rob someone with a gun, and gets what's coming to them, wouldn't you just want to resolve the whole issue as quickly and quietly as possible?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    As far as the article goes in the OP, I'm not suprised they had to inject a more controversial shooting that was totally unrelated.
    This one was too much of a slam dunk for them I guess; scoring drug money, bracelet, robbery at gunpoint.

I have no trouble with repeat offenders becoming dead offenders when the crime is of this magnitude.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    This story shows that the home detention bracelet does not work and their should be no question of a legal shoot if this guy was attempting to rob someone in their own house. IMO, once he crosses that doorway with a weapon then it is self defense regardless.

Top Bottom