One LARGE order of S-HOLE coming right up!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "That's not completely true" comports with "There's a theoretical truth and a practical reality". Since we're talking about practical matters, a theoretical truth isn't completely true if it's not also practically true.

Maybe to you, but not to me. "That's not completely true" also comports to mean that something that some one calls true, as being mostly true, but not entirely. So be clear, so I don't have to try and assume what you mean. If you can't do that, don't expect me to do it.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe to you, but not to me. "That's not completely true" also comports to mean that something that some one calls true, as being mostly true, but not entirely. So be clear, so I don't have to try and assume what you mean. If you can't do that, don't expect me to do it.

If you only read that first sentence, sure. Seemed like the rest of the post made it clear enough.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The last check is that the court cannot enforce their rulings.

That does little practical good to protect people from the whims of the mob. In situations where we're going against the constitution, since the mob is fine with that, that's what gets enforced. That makes us a nation where the whims most common to a majority reign supreme, not a nation of laws where the law reigns supreme over the whims of the mob.

In the march ever progressively left, we can look at the most extreme views today and predict that's where we'll be at some point tomorrow. Of course the pendulum swings, but it also tends to ratchet ever further left, as each swing conditions the public to accept progressively more. Listening to a lot of college kids today, they want full on mob rule. That's essentially anarcho-communism. And we could get much closer to that than we are before a political reset.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Saying that congress could change the substance of the ruling did precious little as a check against that unconstitutional power. That's when it becomes no longer a nation of laws, when you have to have enough votes to decide to follow the law as it exists, rather than the law a few people in black robes want.

The Congress can definitely overrule the SCOTUS, both in theory and in reality. Congress can add justices to overrule SCOTUS from within. Congress can pass so many laws that SCOTUS can't keep up. Congress can start the process to amend the Constitution.

That Congress has chosen not to do so in most instances doesn't mean it's impractical to think that they could. There are, perhaps, easily explainable reasons why Congress would want to let a question be answered by SCOTUS rather than by themselves. It's really pretty difficult to find a topic that has been used in more congressional campaigns than abortion (both pro and con), and yet when sitting in office, Congress rarely tries to actually address the topic.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but I see that as Congress being happy with what the Court has done, not frustrated but unable to respond.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Regardless of what the Supreme Court does, or whatever interpretation the other branches may have, there two remaining branches have the POTENTIAL to "check" and "balance" the other. There is nothing false with that statement. If the Supreme Court issues a ruling, congress, if it has the votes can change the substance of that ruling, via law, and the president can sign it which would render that ruling moot. It may be difficult to do, but that has not changed. Thus my statement IS completely true. Tell me if you are confused about what is being said and the other options in which my words may be interpreted, and I will try to be even more clearer in the notion I am trying to present.

True to a degree, look at the federal firearm school zone ban as an example. SCOTUS ruled it as unConstitutional, Congress made a few changes, passed it, and the President signed it. While I think the new law is unConstitutional, and a gross over reach of the commerce clause, I don't know if SCOTUS would agree with me or not.

The Congress can definitely overrule the SCOTUS, both in theory and in reality. Congress can add justices to overrule SCOTUS from within. Congress can pass so many laws that SCOTUS can't keep up. Congress can start the process to amend the Constitution.

Congress can't add judges, well not directly. They can vote to increase the number of Justices, but the President is the one who has to add them with Congress's advice and consent. Technicality maybe, but I prefer accuracy when discussing these things as much as possible.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

That Congress has chosen not to do so in most instances doesn't mean it's impractical to think that they could. There are, perhaps, easily explainable reasons why Congress would want to let a question be answered by SCOTUS rather than by themselves. It's really pretty difficult to find a topic that has been used in more congressional campaigns than abortion (both pro and con), and yet when sitting in office, Congress rarely tries to actually address the topic.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but I see that as Congress being happy with what the Court has done, not frustrated but unable to respond.
    The thing we're discussing is how practical it is to change the constitution, vs it being, in the most practical sense, a living document.

Congress can't add justices to overrule SCOTUS by themselves. The POTUS nominates appointees. Congress can't do that. FDR did the very thing you suggest, attempting to stack the courts to water down the constitutional objections to the New Deal. Likely, given the landslide his reelection, he'd have had the political capital to wield against congress to have given him that. But, because a couple of justices abandoned the rule of law, and switched sides, the court stacking wasn't necessary. Nevertheless, over the 3 terms plus change, he appointed 8 SCOTUS justices which pushed the US the furthest in the progression from a Republican nation of laws, to a Democratic nation of whims.

In the context of what we're talking about, whatever checks and balances were written into the constitution, phat lot of good it does. Regardless of why congress doesn't check SCOTUS, SCUTUS is effectively unchecked. That's a problem.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Congress can't add judges, well not directly. They can vote to increase the number of Justices, but the President is the one who has to add them with Congress's advice and consent. Technicality maybe, but I prefer accuracy when discussing these things as much as possible.

Right. The point is that any two branches can always overrule the third. That's the point.

If the Congress alone could overrule the court, that would the problem in checks and balances.

(And technically Congress can add justices. They cannot choose who fills those roles, though, as you pointed out. If you're going to be a stickler for technicalities in order to avoid discussing the point, this game can probably go on forever.)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    In the context of what we're talking about, whatever checks and balances were written into the constitution, phat lot of good it does. Regardless of why congress doesn't check SCOTUS, SCUTUS is effectively unchecked. That's a problem.

I completely disagree with this premise.

If the Executive and Legislative branches choose not to check the Judicial, it's because they are (at least implicitly) on board with what the Judicial branch is doing. The checks and balances are still there. They could still work.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

If the Executive and Legislative branches choose not to check the Judicial, it's because they are (at least implicitly) on board with what the Judicial branch is doing. The checks and balances are still there. They could still work.

I regret that I agree with this. Many politicians don't disagree with the process, only the results. They wish to get control of the process rather than fix the constitutional problem.

I must say I think conservatives have been forced into this strategy as a defensive move, though

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

The constitution could still work. But it doesn't.

Look how many people want to **** on the 2A.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2521

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    They prepare the ground by watering down the interpretation of the amendment, from an absolute right to a conditional right with ever more conditions. Whether it's the gun control lobby on RKBA or Big Data on any possible 4th amendment interpretation of a right to privacy, the idea gains traction before the actual judicial overreach. Ideology creeps into the courts slowly, but it gets there nevertheless. The fight over shading the ideological make-up of the court comes to be seen as normal and whether one side is attempting to restore a status quo lost in the noise. Disagreements devolve into battles to be won. With both sides failing to support strict interpretation except in the breech, what makes our republic unique is softened and eroded away.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    The thing we're discussing is how practical it is to change the constitution, vs it being, in the most practical sense, a living document.

Congress can't add justices to overrule SCOTUS by themselves. The POTUS nominates appointees. Congress can't do that. FDR did the very thing you suggest, attempting to stack the courts to water down the constitutional objections to the New Deal. Likely, given the landslide his reelection, he'd have had the political capital to wield against congress to have given him that. But, because a couple of justices abandoned the rule of law, and switched sides, the court stacking wasn't necessary. Nevertheless, over the 3 terms plus change, he appointed 8 SCOTUS justices which pushed the US the furthest in the progression from a Republican nation of laws, to a Democratic nation of whims.

No, "we're" not. You decided to take the conversation there.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, "we're" not. You decided to take the conversation there.

You guys were arguing about changing the constitution. That took the conversation to where you went, then I added the matter of practicality. The conversation is about whatever it was about last. We've gone way past talking about one specific topic of LARGE order of S-HOLE, right?

Edit: now the conversation is about talking about what the conversation is about.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    You guys were arguing about changing the constitution. That took the conversation to where you went, then I added the matter of practicality. The conversation is about whatever it was about last. We've gone way past talking about one specific topic of LARGE order of S-HOLE, right?

Edit: now the conversation is about talking about what the conversation is about.

o29gG0l.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I thought it was about we shouldn't let South African farmers come here on TPS or any other program that short-circuits the full immigration process, despite death threats, because their country isn't enough of a ****-hole (yet) and

because; racism

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I thought it was about we shouldn't let South African farmers come here on TPS or any other program that short-circuits the full immigration process, despite death threats, because their country isn't enough of a ****-hole (yet) and

because; racism

Don’t forget part of it was they had it coming.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom