• Which gun? and explain...

• Total voters

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I'm gonna agree with the 12 gauge. Ammo and parts are everywhere. Almost all gun owners own a shotgun. That leaves a lot of room in shtf for parts and ammo. .22 second in line, preferably Ruger. Again lots of parts around.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Really? My AK is easy to clean with puddle. and the bore snake in the grip. Reliability is not a question.

I will take two guys with AK's against 5 with shotguns any day. Unless one is Zoub.

I think "hunting" and long term survival along with defense were part of the OP's original scenario. I too can clean my AK with a boot lace and motor oil but I do not know how well I would do taking squirrels and rabbits with it in order to supplement the diet.

Seriously I love my AK's and I still chose the shotgun due to the "one" gun "all around" question the OP stated... If it were three guns??? AK( Aresnal SLR 106F), Smith .357 magnum, and Remington 870....:D

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I think "hunting" and long term survival along with defense were part of the OP's original scenario. I too can clean my AK with a boot lace and motor oil but I do not know how well I would do taking squirrels and rabbits with it in order to supplement the diet.

Seriously I love my AK's and I still chose the shotgun due to the "one" gun "all around" question the OP stated... If it were three guns??? AK( Aresnal SLR 106F), Smith .357 magnum, and Remington 870....:D

At typical squirrel and rabbit hunting ranges you would be fine, if not more training is needed!

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Really? My AK is easy to clean with puddle. and the bore snake in the grip. Reliability is not a question.

I will take two guys with AK's against 5 with shotguns any day. Unless one is Zoub.

Guess I didnt account for bringing a bore snake with me. I took the OP as gun and ammo, not cleaning supplies and spare parts.

I dont think 2 aks vs 5 shotguns will better your odds in a defense situation either. Im a hunter, we make the first shot count. Magazine capacity will not make you shoot better. Thats 5 first shots vs 2. AK's dont win that fight inside 100 yards IMO. :dunno:

If squirrels and birds are the only protien source available, you will have starved long before that scenerio takes place anyway. :D

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Guess I didnt account for bringing a bore snake with me. I took the OP as gun and ammo, not cleaning supplies and spare parts.

I dont think 2 aks vs 5 shotguns will better your odds in a defense situation either. Im a hunter, we make the first shot count. Magazine capacity will not make you shoot better. Thats 5 first shots vs 2. AK's dont win that fight inside 100 yards IMO. :dunno:

If squirrels and birds are the only protien source available, you will have starved long before that scenerio takes place anyway. :D

Ok, Shoe laces, rag whatever. It runs, regardless. So all gun fights end with one shot kills? Our crew has run drills with shotty's mixed in with carbines. It is extremely evident on how hard it is to keep a shotty in the fight at the pace of the carbines. Am I the only one out there that can hit a squirrel sized target at 30 yards?

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Truly all purpose?

A 10/22 and as much .22lr ammo as I can find. Easy choice.

Cheap, light gun, light ammo, runs forever. Still lethal enough.

Definitely this. For the end of the world you take the gun that lets you keep 550 rds of ammo in 1 pocket of your bug out bag. It's accurate, low recoil (so even a 5 year old can handle it if needed)

And it's quiet compared to the bigger guns out there. Don't want to make a bunch of noise when keeping a low profile in the woods etc.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    So all gun fights end with one shot kills? Our crew has run drills with shotty's mixed in with carbines. It is extremely evident on how hard it is to keep a shotty in the fight at the pace of the carbines. Am I the only one out there that can hit a squirrel sized target at 30 yards?

I guess we are talking about 2 different things. Im talking about SHTF, Hunting, Survival, and Defence for an average person. Squirrels are much easier for the average person with some #6's in a 12ga than an AK...should be obvious.

This fight is defensive according to the OP. Assume im dug in and on the defensive side with a 12ga. Im ok with that, sure an AK or AR would be better suited for certain scenerio's but it doesnt fit the bill for all around best SHTF, Survival, Defense, Hunting firearm IMO.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I guess we are talking about 2 different things. Im talking about SHTF, Hunting, Survival, and Defence for an average person. Squirrels are much easier for the average person with some #6's in a 12ga than an AK...should be obvious.

This fight is defensive according to the OP. Assume im dug in and on the defensive side with a 12ga. Im ok with that, sure an AK or AR would be better suited for certain scenerio's but it doesnt fit the bill for all around best SHTF, Survival, Defense, Hunting firearm IMO.

Agree to disagree then.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    See, while I love my .22LR, the one big caveat to using one for this all purpose scenario, a .22 isn't going to protect you from predatory animals like big cats, bears, wolves, etc....Nor will it (likely) kill any type of big game.

I would also prefer something with more power if I have to use it against a human intent on killing me.

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012

Also disagree respectfully. An AK or AR can solve any problem that a 12ga can (minus flying birds), and can solve problems a 12ga can't (300 yrd plus shooting, suppressive fire, etc).

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    There is nothing on earth that cannot be killed with a 12 ga rifled slug if you are close enough....I have been hunting,and the only thing that I could have shot was some type of bird...If you are really hungry even a crow or a woodpecker would keep you alive. No question in my mind...Remington 870, preferably a marine magnum or something with a lot of stainless parts....

Matthew_DM

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Tough one. It'd either be my AR or 10/22. If I knew I was going to need to be defensive right away, it'd be the AR. Now if I had an AK... makes it an even harder decision. Reliability of the AK vs the lighter and more abundant AR ammo. Maybe I need to get an AK in 5.56.

I solve the shotgun problem by having my wife carry it :)

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'd choose an AK. The AR would be fine for awhile but exposure and neglect would become factors eventually. Shotgun ammo is too heavy in great quantities. A .22 is not going to take Bambi, Pumba, or a pack of large dogs out to become my dinner.

Why would you be shooting at rabbits and squirrels? That is a waste of ammo for bigger targets. You should be using snares for small game. And what do you know, my AK has a knife to skin my dinner.

Top Bottom