• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    [FONT=times new roman,times,serif]
    NRC extends 'one-buck rule' for deer hunting
    JASONVILLE The Indiana Natural Resources Commission on Tuesday approved an indefinite extension of what’s commonly referred to as the “one-buck rule” for deer hunting.
    The decision to extend the rule removes the expiration date on a 10-year-old regulation that limits a hunter to taking no more than one antlered deer during the regular archery, firearms and muzzleloader hunting seasons.
    The “one-buck rule” was first applied in 2002 for a five-year period. The Commission approved an extension in 2007 with an expiration date of Sept. 1, 2012.
    This year, the DNR Division of Fish & Wildlife proposed extending the rule indefinitely, stating that limiting deer hunters to only one buck per year is not needed to manage the deer herd. The DNR considers it a social issue, not a biological issue.
    [/FONT]

sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    I just got that email too and am a little confused. The DNR is saying that since the one-buck rule is not needed, so they are going to make it permanent? :dunno:

Am I reading this wrong? Way off base?

Wine Country

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I just got that email too and am a little confused. The DNR is saying that since the one-buck rule is not needed, so they are going to make it permanent? :dunno:

Not to far. It is unneeded, but only for herd management. Whether it truly is necessary for "social" reasons is debatable.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville

Yea, I am confused too. Not the 1st time I've had to re-read a DNR email. They have a way of talking in circles so a guy is not sure what he just read.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The IDNR has always been excellent at making work for themselves. The one buck rule turned a whole lot of honest ethical hunters into "poachers." It did create some additional revenue though for all the wives, dads and other family members buying licenses having never been into the woods.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Exactly my thoughts, which is it :dunno:

Ya, they chose the weirdest way possible to write that. The way it sounded, I thought it was going away.

OBR is staying.

I would voice my opinion here, but I dont want this to turn into another argument like the last one in the link I posted. Actually... what do I care, I like the OBR and Im glad its staying. I dont see any reason why someone needs two bucks. If you say its for the meat, and you really need the meat, then shoot another doe.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the only issue i have with it is, I need to thin the number of bucks i have in my woods..
    once I take one & wife takes one, we need other hunters to take bucks only.. but the season maybe to short..
    But landowners in urban archery zones are allowed to harvest 2 each...

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    the only issue i have with it is, I need to thin the number of bucks i have in my woods..
    once I take one & wife takes one, we need other hunters to take bucks only.. but the season maybe to short.....

Yep... we can kill about 500 antlerless deer statewide (if one had the time, money and places to hunt in each county) but only one buck. Bucks and does are still being born at about a 50-50 rate. Makes perfect sense right?

But landowners in urban archery zones are allowed to harvest 2 each

But now they are "supposed" to kill an antlerless deer first before the UDZ buck.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    killing a doe would not be a problem...
    i just think it is a bit unfair that I have to go to the trouble of a reduction permit and a guy one county over does not have to..

if we are going to have OBR , then make it all one buck...

Top Bottom