• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Because. Any non intentional discharge may hit a kid.
    That is not irrational. It's a reality.

Look, I'm not against carrying anywhere someone damn well pleases, kids or no kids. But I'm against trying to portray those who have concerns as being stupid or irrational.

I would think more of their concerns, if they were also worried about being near cars, baseball bats, etc.
    They don't even give a thought to the car, yet look how dangerous they are.

EnochRoot43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Anderson
    I love my ~10month old and 4 year old boys so much that it makes me feel good to have my gun on around them. Being able to adequately protect my family is everything to me. We all get by day to day, and here is to hoping that tomorrow will be as uneventful as today.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    What does age have to do with it?
    That's been my thought all along.

So it would be ok if I negligently shot an adult, but if it was an 8 year old it's somehow different?

I also fail to see how I can negligently shoot anyone if the firearm never leaves my holster?

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Everyone is afraid of what they don't understand. Ignorance can only breed ignorance. If they don't believe that their children are as important as "rich people's kids", whom have body guards and protected gated community's, then you can't be surprised that they don't teach their children about self-preservation or a right to equality?!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only valid argument I received from my current gf about my carrying at her sister's house was that it is not my place to introduce her nieces to guns. If their parents want them to be, it is their place. But, it's not as if I am open carrying and spouting off the 2nd Amendment while I am there.

Her nieces are 11 and 13, and I doubt they even know I am carrying when I am there. Their dad (gf's brother in law) made me one time, and he didn't really seem to care. He followed me to the garage and wanted to see what I was carrying. That's about all that has happened.

A woman control thing sounds like.
    Having met and talked with you I do not see you as a nut job threat and am glad you are in the area.

Kids in the street and cars are a far more dangerous mix. Hell, kids anywhere and cars for that matter.

I take my nieces (12 and 14) shooting every chance I get. They both run an AR like a pro.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I love my ~10month old and 4 year old boys so much that it makes me feel good to have my gun on around them. Being able to adequately protect my family is everything to me. We all get by day to day, and here is to hoping that tomorrow will be as uneventful as today.

Thank you, that is how I feel. I love my grandkids enough to be willing to do everything in my ability to insure their safety. If someone else's kids are around, they benefit from the "grandpa watchdog" also.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That's been my thought all along.

So it would be ok if I negligently shot an adult, but if it was an 8 year old it's somehow different?

I also fail to see how I can negligently shoot anyone if the firearm never leaves my holster?
    Well, it would to the media. A child being shot would be on the news a lot, an adult not as much.

grogie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Wheeling Around Indy
    I grew up around guns on my grandparent's ranch. We were always supervised, but still, they were always sitting around too. We knew not to touch without grandpa or my dad being there with us. It was as natural as working on cars in the garage.

In fact I have a fond memory of "helping" my grandpa clean a rifle on occasion. I have his tin cleaning box to this day. :)

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Why yes, there are children here. One of them is mine and I am legally and morally responsible for her safety. Therefore I make sure to have the tools and training necessary at hand to insure that she remains safe. Why don't you care enough about your children to do the same?

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Back on topic. People who comments on why would you carry a gun anywhere are people who are naive to the world. They "feel" safe, mostly because nothing ever happens to them. They are blind to the fact that the world is a dangerous place. They poke at you having a gun because they suddenly don't feel safe around you and getting rid of it would make them "feel" safe.

Fear is an illusion our bodies create as a reaction, but make no mistake. Danger is real. When we feel safe, that's an illusion. We are only safe when we make sure that we are safe, not because suddenly I feel safe.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Maybe someone can explain this to me in terms I can understand.

Why is it that people always say: "OMG! Why would you carry a gun here? There are kids here!"

- My ex-girlfriend said something to this effect when we were going to the zoo. She didn't think I should carry a gun because there would be kids around. I'm a smart ass, my response was in case there was an escaped bear.
    - There is a supposed Pro-2A rally in Bloomington on the 23rd, and the organizer has asked that people carry with empty chambers and magazines because there will be children present.
    - My current girlfriend has made comments about my carrying at her sister's house because there are kids there.
    - I'm sure I have other examples that I can't remember at this point in time.

Unless I am at home (where there just happens to be no children) my sidearm is always holstered. If it's not IWB, then it is OWB in a Blackhawk Serpa which has Level 2 retention. This invalidates any 5 year old girl comments.

Why do people have such a big problem with others (or maybe it's just me personally) carrying a firearm where there are children present? Can anyone explain this to me in a rational, well thought out response that actually makes sense and will possibly make me reconsider my past actions and ask for forgiveness from those whom I have sinned against? :dunno:

My response to this is always: I carry PRECISELY because there may be kids there. And by being armed, I have the ability to possibly stop harm from coming to them should the need arise, heaven forbid. Not being able to do so would make it very hard for me to live with that fact.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Why yes, there are children here. One of them is mine and I am legally and morally responsible for her safety. Therefore I make sure to have the tools and training necessary at hand to insure that she remains safe. Why don't you care enough about your children to do the same?

Well said!!!

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    ...So simply having a concern means you can't be stupid and irrational?

Just because you're concerned about somebody having a firearm around your children doesn't make you automatically educated and rational.

Oh yes. Just like I said. Having a concern about having a firearm makes you have a PhD.
    It makes you the wizard of oz too.

What the heck is wrong with you?

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    A non-intentional discharge may hit anyone. What does age have to do with it?

The question was along the lines of why are people are like "OMG"
    I am attempting to answer the question of why people may act that way.

Some people have a tendency to want to protect children because they're innocent. Don't ask me why, I'm not a sociologist or psychologist.

If you can't get why people tend to over-react when it comes to children, then I can't explain anything to you regarding this issue.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    What the heck is wrong with you?
    Let's see if I can figure this out...

You said this:
    But I'm against trying to portray those who have concerns as being stupid or irrational.
    I feel that their concerns are irrational and they're likely being ignorant based upon those concerns. You make it out as though that, just because they have concerns, does not mean that they could not possibly be stupid or irrational. Whether or not they are stupid or whether their concerns are irrational is totally unrelated to the simple fact that they do have concerns beyond that one cannot have an irrational concern without being concerned.

Oh yes. Just like I said. Having a concern about having a firearm makes you have a PhD.
    No, it makes you concerned. Having a concern has no bearing on whether you're stupid or irrational was the point I was making.

If the OP, or anybody else, feels somebody with these concerns is stupid and/or irrational then that's their opinion and they're certainly entitled to that.

How are you to know if they're stupid or irrational or not?

Top Bottom