• Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Let's see if I can figure this out...

You said this:
    I feel that their concerns are irrational and they're likely being ignorant based upon those concerns. You make it out as though that, just because they have concerns, does not mean that they could not possibly be stupid or irrational. Whether or not they are stupid or whether their concerns are irrational is totally unrelated to the simple fact that they do have concerns beyond that one cannot have an irrational concern without being concerned.

No, it makes you concerned. Having a concern has no bearing on whether you're stupid or irrational was the point I was making.

If the OP, or anybody else, feels somebody with these concerns is stupid and/or irrational then that's their opinion and they're certainly entitled to that.

How are you to know if they're stupid or irrational or not?

Ok, you're right.
    Anyone who disagrees with you is stupid and irrational.
    Carry on.

-Rooster-

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Midwest
    Let's see if I can figure this out...

I feel that their concerns are irrational and they're likely being ignorant based upon those concerns. You make it out as though that, just because they have concerns, does not mean that they could not possibly be stupid or irrational. Whether or not they are stupid or whether their concerns are irrational is totally unrelated to the simple fact that they do have concerns beyond that one cannot have an irrational concern without being concerned.

No, it makes you concerned. Having a concern has no bearing on whether you're stupid or irrational was the point I was making.

If the OP, or anybody else, feels somebody with these concerns is stupid and/or irrational then that's their opinion and they're certainly entitled to that.

How are you to know if they're stupid or irrational or not?

There is an important difference between stupid/irrational and ignorant. Ignorant of the facts is the phrase that would define the majority of the anti-gunners. They mean well, but they are in principle, incorrect based on unbiased, media-driven fear.

I don't how you've justified your diatribe against Mackey. It's simply semantics, methinks. An ill-informed concern doesn't mean a person isn't an idiot. It also doesn't mean said person is one.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I was asked by my sister in law a few years ago to not carry when we came over for Thanksgiving. Her fear was that one of the little kids would get my gun while I wasn't looking and shoot themselves or others. She was absolutely beside herself when I informed her that EVERY time she had seen me since the mid-late 1980s, no matter where we were at, I had a gun on me. "Even at the weddings"? she asked, referring to when two of their daughters got married, "yep" was my answer. "Oh my GOD, there were so many kids there", was her response.

We did NOT attend Thanksgiving festivities at their house that year.

I will absolutely respect someones wishes when their property is involved, but that chick is just down right irrational!:):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was asked by my sister in law a few years ago to not carry when we came over for Thanksgiving. Her fear was that one of the little kids would get my gun while I wasn't looking and shoot themselves or others. She was absolutely beside herself when I informed her that EVERY time she had seen me since the mid-late 1980s, no matter where we were at, I had a gun on me. "Even at the weddings"? she asked, referring to when two of their daughters got married, "yep" was my answer. "Oh my GOD, there were so many kids there", was her response.

We did NOT attend Thanksgiving festivities at their house that year.

I will absolutely respect someones wishes when their property is involved, but that chick is just down right irrational!:):

So I guess the fact that nothing happened didn't pursuade her to change her mind then.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've not been able to articulate what I was trying to say the way I was trying to say it. You are welcome to disagree with me and what I've said - if I find a better way to articulate what I'm trying to say I'll post it up.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No, actually, it seemed to make her more fearful.

The best thing to do in that situation is to explain, step by step, the forces and safeties involved in a child magically getting your gun out of your holster and shooting someone. I've never walked an individual through that thought process without them realizing how irrational it was.

People, and women especially, are emotional creatures. Their love of children causes fear for their safey. Furthermore, lack of understanding breeds fear of the unknown. These two put together produce stupid comments.

Just be patient and loving. It goes a long way to putting people at ease. I had an ex girlfriend who was deathly afraid of firearms. However, I spent a long time being gentle and patient with her and persistently and logically explained everything I did and why. There were a few bumps along the way, but eventually I had her out shooting and considering buying a gun herself. It just takes time.

Top Bottom