• ...and so much more!
  • mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Hey Ya'll.....
    So, I travel a lot for work. And went to put the pistol I bought for the wife on the nightstand before lights out ( alram is set for 0415, FML). And she says she wants the magazine removed, in the holster, in the nightstand with the mag next to it. She also won't carry it with the mag in it.
    So after an exchage of thoughts I hold her is better off in the safe or just throwing it at the would-be intruder. So needles to say, she got her way.
    Anyway I can educate her on the best way to have it 'ready' for use. For her safety, and she won't have the mind set to load a magazine and pull the slide if she hears something or the dog are going ape sh#t.

(We don't have any kids, and no one lives in the house but us)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If you can, I suggest getting her to shoot it more. If she becomes more competent and familiar with the firearm, I bet she will feel better about keeping it handy and ready.

If she does not feel familiar and confident with the firearm, I fear she will be hard to convince.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If you can't change her mind, get a quick-access safe. I can get into my safe in under a couple of seconds. One thing you want to do is practice opening the safe a lot so that you can do so quickly and accurately while under stress.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Is she afraid of it going off unintentionally? Have you TALKED to her about it? I mean ASKED here opinion....

I obviously do not know your situation, I am just trying to think it through, and it seems to me, that if there are no kids running around, shes probably afraid of the gun itself. I know you say shes competent with firearms, but your also posing a situation that no competent shooter would be in.

Im really NOT trying to be an *******, though I feel like it will seem that way.

I jut wonder if you have misjudged her comfort with firearms...

Raitekk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   1
    Mar 9, 2013
    Northwest Indiana
    If you can, I suggest getting her to shoot it more. If she becomes more competent and familiar with the firearm, I bet she will feel better about keeping it handy and ready.

If she does not feel familiar and confident with the firearm, I fear she will be hard to convince.

This x2.

The more she shoots it, the more comfortable she will feel with the gun as well has her ability to handle it and use it.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Might I suggest getting her a revolver? Some women find them less intimidating than a semi-automatic. idk.....

This was going to be my suggestion.

I have a GF that wasn't the least bit interested in my semi-autos. Then one day I bring home a S&W 60, 38 special, snubby... she see it and says, "Now, I like that one"!

There's just something to be said about the mechanics, which they latch onto. Open ammo cylinder ('mag' so to say), they can see the hammer and there's less hidden. Make them more at ease. The only other one she kinda liked was the Beretta 87 Cheetah, 22lr.

I couldn't believe the difference it made to her, but it did. Now a year later, she wants to go out this summer to shoot all the semi-autos and get familair with them. It has turned into a win-win! :rockwoot:

I would also suggest trying a 22lr revolver as she really didn't like the recoil from the 38 special round. Although, the first round at 30 feet was 4" directly below the bullseye. Once they get used to shooting, step up in calibers. S&W makes a really nice 22 mag snubby, 351PD 7-shot.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would never give my wife six rounds when she could have 16+.

Training, training, training... there really is no substitute. Going to the range to put hundreds of rounds through a gun does not compare to going through an actual training class.

However, if she will not take a class, pick up some dummy rounds and run through some scenarios at your house. Ask her to walk though what she would do. This wouldn't be the time for "I told you so," but to simply provide you a certain level of comfort while you are away and make her familiar with deploying the gun if needed when she hears that bump in the night.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would never give my wife six rounds when she could have 16+.

Sensible point, but the other side of the coin is that if it comes down to this, it is better to give her 6 she will use than 16 that she won't use.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Sensible point, but the other side of the coin is that if it comes down to this, it is better to give her 6 she will use than 16 that she won't use.

Yeah, there are always more than one perspective. The OP said she is familiar with guns and it just seems like she is just not very comfortable at this point. I'm sure they will figure it out.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    This was going to be my suggestion.

I have a GF that wasn't the least bit interested in my semi-autos. Then one day I bring home a S&W 60, 38 special, snubby... she see it and says, "Now, I like that one"!

There's just something to be said about the mechanics, which they latch onto. Open ammo cylinder ('mag' so to say), they can see the hammer and there's less hidden. Make them more at ease. The only other one she kinda liked was the Beretta 87 Cheetah, 22lr.

I couldn't believe the difference it made to her, but it did. Now a year later, she wants to go out this summer to shoot all the semi-autos and get familair with them. It has turned into a win-win! :rockwoot:

I would also suggest trying a 22lr revolver as she really didn't like the recoil from the 38 special round. Although, the first round at 30 feet was 4" directly below the bullseye. Once they get used to shooting, step up in calibers. S&W makes a really nice 22 mag snubby, 351PD 7-shot.

Same with me and mine. I have got my wife a number of quality semi auto's for her to carry over the years. She would carry them for a little while and then start leaving them at home. I was cleaning my J-frame that has a Crimson Trace grip set on it. She asked to check it out. From that day on I lost that gun. She carry's it religiously.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Get a digital gun safe, and keep the gun in it, loaded, and with safety off. That is what I do. You can go biometric, and enter both your fingerprints, or just use the ones with a finger pad code.

Of course, I also have my EDC usually sitting on my nightstand in its holster too. Maybe she would be comfortable with it loaded so long as the trigger were covered by the holster? I don't blame her for not wanting it loaded if there is not even a holster.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Thanks to all the night owls.........
    Some good points. Ill look into the smaller finger pad safe. Are they montable on the side of nightstand s.
    As far as training I bet shed like an all women's in the house self defence training course aswell.
    Lets see what the day shift has to say.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    This may be a bad idea, but load it with dummy round, break into your iwn housr and scare the **** outta her, it will prove your point. I accidnetly scared my ex one day, she learned quickly that it needs to be loaded.

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Just tell her since she's not going to be prepared to defend herself that you're going to have to spend a bit more money on Life Insurance on her. No sense in losing out on a good longshot.

junior438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    redkey
    glad to hear that my wife aint the only wife thats this way. ive tried everything from talking to extra range time. still nothing works.

Top Bottom