Olive oil as a good pistol lubricant? Give me your thoughts!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Heard from a guy from a guy that olive oil is as good as anything you would pay for as a pistol/rifle lube. What do you all think?:ingo:

While you're pondering over that question, watch this guy eat cotton candy backward...I can't stop watching.:thatshot:

I Can't Stop Watching This Dude Eat Cotton Candy In Reverse

pretty good (funny face), but be prepared to be amazed
    http://youtu.be/8yrlw8FuJko

That stuff can fix anything. :yesway:

I hear tell that when Popeye has a stiff joint that what he soaks it in.

i suppose that works for popeye, but i was always told to stick it in cider (and now i'm back from 13 year-old land).

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Absolutely, but only for Beretta and Tanfoglio pistols.
    I'm sure that all my Mec-Gar mags are just covered in olive oil when I get them new. I usually just clean them with a piece of hard bread along with some wine and good cheese. My wife is Italian. I have learned that olive oil can be used for all kinds of things.:D

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Olive oil[called "Sweet Oil"] in cowboy days,was the "go to" lube back in pioneer/black powder days-before the discovery of petroleum products and their derivatives-Still the best treatment for old timey carbon steel kitchen/butcher knives. Not the best thing out there for modern weapons,however.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    So a lot of guys say "NO"

I'm gonna say this: If you take the AR out and you want to get it nice and hot (maybe put a case through it as fast as you can) and say you want to go ahead and fry up some mushrooms or onions right away. I'm just saying that CLP and the like leave an odd taste in my mouth. IMO use olive oil if you are looking for taste. Otherwise, you know, use some gun oil.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    This is my rifle this is my gun. One is for fighting one is for fun.

Yeah it will work great on your gun but not so good on your rifle or pistol.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    While everybody has pointed out various reasons why olive oil isn't so great on the metal parts, I want to go against the crowd and say that olive oil is great for the WOOD parts. It will clean up a stock like nothing else and it is a drying/polymerizing oil that will fill in and repair minor scuffs and scratches. If left to soak a little bit it often hydrates the wood under dings and dents resulting in a lifting of the compressed wood. It is also a common base oil used in furniture polish for fine furniture.

FiReBReTHa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    If you haven't had the opportunity definitely check out Froglube.

For application you typically strip the part, heat it, apply FLube paste, it then fluidizes and seasons the metal/pores which is very nice when it comes time to clean up after shooting!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Heard from a guy from a guy that olive oil is as good as anything you would pay for as a pistol/rifle lube. What do you all think?:ingo:

Absolutely not. Not by itself, anyway. In my experience, you need a little minced garlic sauteed over low heat. Take care not to burn it. Sometimes I do red pepper flakes, too. Or you can try to give the oil a bit more body by dissolving some anchovies in it.

My personal preference is fermented olive oil based on a medieval recipe. I guess they must have used it to lube catapults and such.

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    IMHO Bore Tech makes a pretty good gun oil. I like their grease too, its a bit pricey but it does work well. Their solvent is a bit over rated though..

PaxRomana

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    Well, I'm sure there are worse things you could lube your gun with. My only question would be, why bother? The only advantage I could see in even trying is the fact that it is a cheap alternative to "proper" gun oil. If you want to go that route, get yourself a quart of Mobil 1 and you'll be set for damn near life.

charlietwo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2013
    Ft Wayne
    I'm the 'Rand CLP' evangelist in the area -- more expensive than olive oil, but made specifically for firearms, and will last much longer. Uses three types of nanoparticles to fill in microscopic pores of the metal, bonds with the metal, cleans up like a boss, and doesn't have a toxic smell.

Granted, I'm biased, but I believe in the product based on my knowledge of firearms and first hand experience. I spent time as an NG recruiter and I learned to hate selling something if I don't believe in it 100%. I believe in this.

If you want to try it out, there's a few shops up in Fort Wayne that carry it (Sniper Company, Freedom Firearms, Wrigley's Firearms and Ammo) or you can order online ("MILES15" = 15% discount)

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Yeah, I think I'm gonna stick with my old standard, Coppertone Tropic Tanning oil. Works great and the smell reminds me of those days with my girlfriend at the beach.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom