Olive oil as a good pistol lubricant? Give me your thoughts!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Olive Oil?

Lets see now, I have just spent hundreds of my hard earned dollars, on a new gun. I am now going to lubricate it with olive oil?
    Naw, I think I will stick with Ballistol.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Olive oil is mildly acidic. Perhaps not the best thing to swab on a blued gun. And if a base is used (mineral oil for example is slightly base) salts can form.

For many competition firearms, I use Marvel Mystery oil as a lubricant. I figure if it will handle an air tool spinning at 18,000 rpm, it should handle the cycling I do with my firearms.

But, if I could only have one product, I'd probably use RemOil. Has a little teflon in it and works very well. Brownells Action Lube is also a pretty good synthetic grease.

jbrownrfn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 6, 2012
    Indy
    wow not sure why you would. What can of lube made for firearms cost six bucks... Why risk your firearm that cost hundreds if not even more over few bucks more... Plus olive oil isnt that cheap either...

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Olive oil has a low smoke point (better the quality the lower the smoke point) and its flash point is just over its smoke point.

It won't stay on your 1911 long.

Go buy some Kellube, SLIP2000, Lucas lube, melted hinge grease, inter alia and leave the olive oil for cooking.

When you say "Lucas lube" do you mean the red gun oil they make or the motor oil stabilizer? Honestly, I can see a little dab of the stabilizer going a long way in something that produces a lot of heat.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Acid, yes. I'd stay away unless it's all ya got and can't get a better lube. Just like engines, last ditch.

Top Bottom