• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Downtown
    before i knew anything about guns, i saw creepy don's commercial thinking "hey, that guy seems legit, right lauren?" Lauren - "uh i don't know, but hes definitely creepy looking like that and shooting his hand pistol at the camera" i lol'd. so his approach to get new owners probably works. thats when i also thought his store, gander mountain, and dick's were the only places to pick up a gun. boy was i wrong.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have been known to use their range because it's the only place open at 8:30 PM, when I get out of class.

They sell some stuff cheaper and make up for it with their exorbitant gun prices. I just recently bought a StackOn safe (20x14x8) from them. It was $120 as opposed to the $99 (MUCH smaller) one from my favorite gun store.

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Straw purchases
    6th in the nation from a study in 2003.

NRA Leaders - What NRA Leaders Are Saying

6) Don's Guns & Galleries Inc., Indianapolis, INFrom 1989 through 1996, this dealer sold 398 guns traced to crime; 311 of those guns had a "short time to crime" as defined by ATF. The guns were involved in at least 7 homicides, 12 assaults, 2 robberies, and 370 additional gun crimes. The dealer also sold at least 2012 handguns in multiple sales.
    Numerous gun traffickers have "straw purchased" dozens of guns from Don's Guns in recent years. For example, between October 2001 and January 2002, Etely Diamond used two straw purchasers to buy 25 handguns from Don's Guns and then resold them on the streets of Chicago.
    Another trafficker, Jerome Steele, used straw buyers to obtain 12 and 9 guns on two different occasions in 2002 from Don's Guns and then resold them illegally in Chicago. A third trafficker, Willie Soward, also used straw buyers to obtain guns from Don's Guns for resale in Chicago.

Information from a BATF hearing:
    In 2004, a woman pleaded guilty to purchasing two semiautomatic handguns—one of which was used in the slaying of a three-year-old child—for felons from Don's Guns in Indianapolis. The woman was arrested as part of a federal gun trafficking investigation that involved the straw purchase of at least 28 guns from Don's Guns.(see footnote 11)
    Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE): Reforming Licensing and Enforcement Authorities

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Bought my first gun from there...i had no clue at the time that other places existed...

Of course I know better now, but when I was 19 I had no clue.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    shhh.png

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Words of advice, check prices, if you don't like Don's price don't buy there! simple....right?

Yeah I basically got to go with many others on this one. Even if Don had the lowest prices, I wouldn't buy from him. That is even less complicated.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    Anyone remember, several years back, the publicity stunt Don pulled after the little girl was killed in the drive-by shooting? He piled up a bunch of sks & ak type rilfes, deemed them as useless and used by gangsters for killing only, refused to sell them anymore, and destroyed that pile of guns (I don't remember how, but it seems to me he burned them.) I'm curious to know if he's had a change heart and is now dealing in "evil" weapons again? Guy's a piece of crap in my book, real sliimy weasle.

Of course, everything above is strictly my personal recollection and personal opinion of persons and events!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Having friends in high places helps. I tried dealing with him one time 20 years ago. Made a deal for a Semmerling LM4 with him over the phone and had a written quote for the price. When I got there I not only found the gun wasn't as represented...not even close and he tried to jack the price by 700 bucks. It was the first and only time my shadow crossed his door.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    don is a hustler plain and simple. i would never buy a gun from him period but you have to respect a man who started out selling stuff out of his trunk and horse trading to end up where he is now. and archbishop nailed it on the first page. no other gun stores advertise if one did and put any kind of prices in it don would be in trouble lol. i remember one day in there he had a used glock 19 gen 1 with 1 hicap mag and regular sites and sold it to a thug for 800 bucks. i said holy s@#$ you can get that same gun down the street at pops back when they were at 56th/georgetown for 450 bucks. they asked me to leave lol.

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    A few years ago I got a good friend interested in shooting. Of course, I did not think to talk about where and how to buy. So being a typical convert, nothing worse, he goes all out looking for a couple of pistols that have him breathing hard.

I get a call to ask if I can go with him to look at a gun at Don's. While mentioning I'd rather get a root canal, I felt responsible for him, so we went. The gun they assured him was there are ready, was not there. "Just sold it not 5 minutes ago. But, how about...." The next week, same thing. "Well, dang pardner, must have sold it. But how about...."

You can always tell someone that's shopped at Don's. They have that freshly showered look!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A few years ago I got a good friend interested in shooting. Of course, I did not think to talk about where and how to buy. So being a typical convert, nothing worse, he goes all out looking for a couple of pistols that have him breathing hard.

I get a call to ask if I can go with him to look at a gun at Don's. While mentioning I'd rather get a root canal, I felt responsible for him, so we went. The gun they assured him was there are ready, was not there. "Just sold it not 5 minutes ago. But, how about...." The next week, same thing. "Well, dang pardner, must have sold it. But how about...."

You can always tell someone that's shopped at Don's. They have that freshly showered look!

That's probably why they refuse to give prices or discuss inventory over the phone. How can they sleep at night selling Glocks for $300 more than any of the other shops?!

Top Bottom