• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I agree with you about real knobs and controls. My newest truck (2015 chev) has about a million of’em. I’ve owned it for 7 years, still don’t know how to work all the buttons. I haven’t changed my clock for about 5 yrs. cause I don’t want to dig out that **** owners manual twice a year, would really like to use my fog lights sometime but I can’t figure out how to turn’em on. And I don’t read international symbols at all. I’m lucky if I can get the a c to come on. Sorry for the side track, just felt the need to vent.

No idea on the Chevy. On my Ram you push in on the headlight knob to turn on the fogs. The button that looks like it would turn on the fogs turns on the cargo light.

Reactions: Mij

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    For what you said was intended use, my murder board recommendation is probably no surprise. AWD Ford Transit high roof. If I recall you had mentioned retirement before and especially if it's in the next 10 years your money could go to a very buildable platform. Good luck

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For what you said was intended use, my murder board recommendation is probably no surprise. AWD Ford Transit high roof. If I recall you had mentioned retirement before and especially if it's in the next 10 years your money could go to a very buildable platform. Good luck

I'm thinking somewhere around 12-15 years, but it could be as early as 9 if I get bored or tired of it.

I just looked up the Transit. I don't think it'll do the trails I want to do, ground clearance seems way low. I definitely want a truck bed for the versatility over an SUV or van.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    So you want to buy a dodge so your taillights don’t work in two years??? :lmfao: Honestly, I haven’t driven the 10 speed ford, I have a ‘15 with the 3.5 twin turbo, nearly 150,000 miles and I’ve had no issues, but there’s stories out there of bad turbos and all that, but I suppose those are out there for all of them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So you want to buy a dodge so your taillights don’t work in two years??? :lmfao: Honestly, I haven’t driven the 10 speed ford, I have a ‘15 with the 3.5 twin turbo, nearly 150,000 miles and I’ve had no issues, but there’s stories out there of bad turbos and all that, but I suppose those are out there for all of them.

I guess if anyone knows if a Dodge's taillights work, it's someone driving a Ford...

(Sorry, again, not brand loyal, just had to do it)

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    My 2012 is completely rot free. The only paint defects are touched up rock chips and an area of the rear bumper that peeled a bit. It's work, though. I clay it twice a year, wax it pretty frequently, spray out the wheel wells and undercarriage, etc. I'll fluid film it soon for the winter.View attachment 229493
    Last weekend. Needs clayed again soon.
    What kind of clay do you use??:lmfao:

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    OP, the short version from your original question; I think you will never worry about the extra 8K when it's all said and done and your are enjoying what you have.

The longer version, and I'll preface it with I've never bought new, but have had them all. All HD, mostly 1 ton, except for the Tundra (I mean, it says "tun" right on the side of it!) Love the Cummins, but the 7.3 has been good to me as well.
    They all have their problems, they all depreciate, but it sounds like you really take care of them and that goes the farthest.

The idea that the PW has the same front suspension as the diesel model says a lot to me. I don't know a lot about the current Ford front ends but they've screwed the pooch a few times in the past. Probably fine now.

I'm running 34" Nittos (275/65R20) on a 10" wheel on my 07 Tundra and get anywhere from 11 to 15 mpg, really depends what I'm doing. Since range is important to you, the Tundra might not be the best choice. But I love driving mine. If you do decide to check one out, I'd love to hear how you think it compares to what you're considering, as I have no standard of comparison. I do want to add that while you may think you need the TRD package to do what you want, I don't believe that. In fact, I think, if you don't mind doing mods, that you can make a limited better than a TRD, and the TRD mods are way more expensive than modding a non-TRD. Just my experience.

My bottom line is still, you won't think anything about the 8K difference as time goes on.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I do want to add that while you may think you need the TRD package to do what you want, I don't believe that. In fact, I think, if you don't mind doing mods, that you can make a limited better than a TRD, and the TRD mods are way more expensive than modding a non-TRD. Just my experience.

I don't want to 'mod' much. At what trim level do you get skid plates, factory front and rear lockers, and a 360 camera package?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Get the PW. I've had both a late model F150 and a late model Ram... if I had to buy one today I'd be ordering another Hemi powered Ram vs a twin turbo F150...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    *Oh snap* I may have found a used one my wife won't say "do what you want" while giving me the look to...less than 10k miles, a color she likes, and I think every option you can get on one. Pray for me, tell me to be brave, I'm going to try it...

Get the PW. I've had both a late model F150 and a late model Ram... if I had to buy one today I'd be ordering another Hemi powered Ram vs a twin turbo F150...

I think I will, but specifically what did you find to be better about the Ram?

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I don't want to 'mod' much. At what trim level do you get skid plates, factory front and rear lockers, and a 360 camera package?
    Sir: Respectfully, any GM product with a mathematic equation on the side (4x4) will get you skid plates. Anti skid, Anti sway, Tow pakg. Superior suspension. Lock all 4 wheels. And a lot of buttons. They still make‘em with 8 ft. bed. Can’t speak to crew cab, or light pkg. They do make a 4 door ext. cab.

I know you have done the research, and have narrowed your options, just pointing these things out.

Cameras, you are making a joke, right?

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    *Oh snap* I may have found a used one my wife won't say "do what you want" while giving me the look to...less than 10k miles, a color she likes, and I think every option you can get on one. Pray for me, tell me to be brave, I'm going to try it...

A buy the way, I’ve always been a fan of the two year lease returns. Due to the mandated maintenance and mileage cost over runs. Let the original purchasers pay the up front costs. Wife has owned two city police detectives lease cars, gets a lot of waves and hellos from people she doesn’t know. JMO

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012

It was a '16 F150 that I ordered and traded in on a '19 Ram I ordered. The Ram was more refined, better fit and finish and who doesn't love a Hemi rumble? And you get more for your $$$ with Ram.

Both were problem free, but I typically trade in after two years / 60k miles. The only reason I got rid of the Ram is I switched back to a company car and it just sat.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    A buy the way, I’ve always been a fan of the two year lease returns. Due to the mandated maintenance and mileage cost over runs. Let the original purchasers pay the up front costs. Wife has owned two city police detectives lease cars, gets a lot of waves and hellos from people she doesn’t know. JMO
    I am as well, but with full size pickups there usually isn't enough savings versus going brand new...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sir: Respectfully, any GM product with a mathematic equation on the side (4x4) will get you skid plates. Anti skid, Anti sway, Tow pakg. Superior suspension. Lock all 4 wheels. And a lot of buttons. They still make‘em with 8 ft. bed. Can’t speak to crew cab, or light pkg. They do make a 4 door ext. cab.

I know you have done the research, and have narrowed your options, just pointing these things out.

Cameras, you are making a joke, right?

I was asking specifically about the Toyota.

No joke on the cameras. They are incredible. Want to hitch a trailer by yourself? You can see the ball and the trailer hitch and a guide line. Want to spot yourself off road? You can see exactly where that rock or stump is on the passenger side. Going up a steep incline on the trail and all you see is hood and sky? Now you can see the other side of the crest before going over. Need to do a 3 point turn on a shelf road? Even Gladiators have forward facing cameras for that now. Need to back out of a face in curb spot and can't see over the truck next to you? Now you can. Yeah, it's not much use in day to day, but it is very useful when you're in those sorts of situations, and I intend to be offroad and alone quite a bit. Hence camera system and winch, just in case.

GM skid plate package is a joke. I crawled under an AT4 and the plates are thin, don't cover several critical components, and the gas tank is plastic and completely unprotected. Tremor is better, but neither is as good as the Raptor and Power Wagon.

No GM truck has a disconnecting anti-sway bar.

You can't "lock all 4 wheels" except with the ZR2. You can put it in 4wd, but there is no option for a front locker and only an automatic eaton or a limited slip in the rear. No selectable lockers. You can't lock the transfer case, period, even in the ZR2. GM's transfer case is garbage if you plan to actually off road it, at least in the 1500s. Clutch lock only, it overheats, and decides you should be in 2WD now. If you're just driving in snow or whatever, it'll do you fine. I want to go places and do things with this truck that would overheat the GM. Watch some of the guys in Colorado and California who suddenly find themselves in 2WD because their transfer case is too hot. Ram Rebel with the "auto" function will do the same, but the ones without "auto" mechanically lock.

Same gas milage as the Power Wagon on the highway, smaller gas tank, no optional larger one. 6.2L is a strong motor and I like the interior of the current Chevy/GMC trucks but no way I want to road trip one or take it off road.

The 2024 Canyon looks cool, but I don't think I'd like the turbo 4. The underbody camera is a sweet idea, though.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I've bought new and I've bought used, just depends on the spread. I'm mainly interested in used in this case because I can't get a new 75th anniversary and I like the interior better than the newest one. The fact it saves some cash is a bonus for sure.

Top Bottom