• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I am pretty sure that if you live in Indiana you cannot buy a gun anywhere than in the state without getting a FFL involved. Actually you can buy it just not legally take it home.
    BUT some sales jockey at Cabela's said that it was OK to buy from adjoining states (say KY) because there is some sort of a reciprocity agreement.
    I thought crossing state lines with a firearm is against Federal law and I just can't see how the states could have very much say so in a reciprocity agreement.

Where do they find these guys?
    Am I crazy or is he?

Maybe both of us?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The sales jockey was correct. As I recall, you can buy long guns in KY and bring them home. A handgun will require a transfer between FFL's. That's why Bud's Guns is so bloody popular around here!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Yes, like mrjarrell pointed out, long guns can go home with you, handguns must be transferred to an IN FFL. That's how it is in Kentucky anyway, can't say for MI, IL or OH because I've never bought a firearm in those states.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    The dealer has to sell long guns according to the rules of the State the buyer is from. For example, if Illinois has a 3 day waiting period on shotguns, an Indiana dealer has to force the 3 day wait as well, even though Indiana has no waiting period.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I believe you can buy a long gun in a neighboring state and bring it home, so OH, KY, MI, IL for us. Handguns have to go through an Indiana FFL.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Thanks for the fast replies.
    That clears it up for me.
    He was actually discussing handguns, so he was not correct, but now I know where he got the idea.
    I knew there was a difference between long guns and hand guns rules and regs but just never tried to buy a long gun out of state.

Thanks!

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    Just so we're clear here.

If you buy a HANDGUN in person at Buds, they'll will have to SHIP IT to an Indiana FFL of your choosing correct?

Not like you can cart it home to the FLL yourself.... right?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    OH at least at the Gun collectors show requires a FFL on all gun purchases for out of state. My ffl charges 15 dollars so it is not so bad. In the current christmas shipping rush I would advise to have it packaged extra extra extra well. I used to throw packages at UPS. Throw is how they are handled.

After the holidays the shipping is better but a cheap extra cun case is good insurance.

silkpoet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 6, 2010
    SW Indiana
    Long guns only!! Make sure you have things set up in advance also with your FFL so that you have all the information you will need before you go on your shopping adventure.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Bud's has free shipping on some guns ane there is NO sales tax. That makes it better than buying in state.

Just so we're clear here. The state of Indiana expects you to pay sales tax on that purchase when you file your IN taxes, the vendor just doesn't collect it for them.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Like mospeada stated, you are suppose to pay sales tax on all out of state purchases that you were not charged sales tax for. Nobody ever does it and it's hard to enforce, but it's the law.

Sooner or later there will laws passed that require vendors to charge sales tax on all purchases in or out of state.

Anne Neggen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Does Bud's Guns get to the 1500 Gun Show - could you then order one and have it delivered to the gun show without the FFL?

Top Bottom