• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Basically the new law should provide some consistency for responsible gun owners. One thing I found interesting was the comment about it being illegal to carry in a hospital. If this is true I hope somebody can cite the relevant Indiana Code. I do remember something about hospital authorities being mentioned in the new laws. So, maybe a hospital administration can pass a no weapons policy but it is not necessarily against state law?

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    What it says is that if a hospitol has a criminal lock up ward that is permenently manned 24/7.

zombiekilla

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    Mt. Vernon
    What about private hospitals w/out a lock up? I am under the impression that they can still not permit firearms on their property. Just wondering since my wife works at St. Mary's in Evansville,

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    What about private hospitals w/out a lock up? I am under the impression that they can still not permit firearms on their property. Just wondering since my wife works at St. Mary's in Evansville,

Any business can post a no firearms sign, and you have to leave if they ask. The signs don't carry weight of law.

The new law just allows a publicly owned hospital to post signs.

TomKat97

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Southern IN
    Any business can post a no firearms sign, and you have to leave if they ask. The signs don't carry weight of law.

The new law just allows a publicly owned hospital to post signs.
    I too, wondered about the hospital issue. Anyone know if you can carry into a bank? Concealed of course.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I too, wondered about the hospital issue. Anyone know if you can carry into a bank? Concealed of course.
    A bank is just like any other private business. If it isn't posted you can carry. I specifically carry because it IS a bank. (A former coworkers wife was a teller who had a gun stuck in her face in a robbery. The perp warned them not to put a dye pack in the money bag. One of the women did. When it went off in the parking lot the dude went nuts. By the grace of God one of the tellers had rushed to the door as soon as he walked out and had just turned the lock as he got back to the door. My friend's wife has no doubt that he would have shot them all if he could have gotten back in. If I'm ever unlucky enough to be in that situation I want to be able to draw my weapon and hunker down behind something.)

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    As said before a sign dors not have the weight of law, you would have to be indescrete with your concealment in order to bs asked to leave. I carry everywhere and no one ever knows it, except a few observant LEO's. Who just give me a little nod to show that they know.

As for the hospital issue I was half right. The lockup part is correct, note that will ususlly be in a municipal hospital.

The part I missed until I reread SEA 292 is, sec4 reads This chapter may not be construed to preventany of the following:
    Para 11 reads the enactment or enforcementof a provision prohibiting or restricting the posession of a firearm in a hospital established under IC 16-22-2 or IC16-23.

IC16-22-2 pertains to county hospitals.
    IC16-23 pertains to municipal hospithal outher than county.

Whereas the new law does give municipalities the right to regulate their own government hospitals it does not have anything to do with private hospitals.

Just let me say I am not a lawyer, at best I am pertty good at research.

All I did is look up the actual law at the in.gov site. What I cited is verbatim, if any one sees that I have misunderstood something here, please feel free to correct me. I usually take it pretty well.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As said before a sign dors not have the weight of law, you would have to be indescrete with your concealment in order to bs asked to leave. I carry everywhere and no one ever knows it, except a few observant LEO's. Who just give me a little nod to show that they know.

As for the hospital issue I was half right. The lockup part is correct, note that will ususlly be in a municipal hospital.

The part I missed until I reread SEA 292 is, sec4 reads This chapter may not be construed to preventany of the following:
    Para 11 reads the enactment or enforcementof a provision prohibiting or restricting the posession of a firearm in a hospital established under IC 16-22-2 or IC16-23.

IC16-22-2 pertains to county hospitals.
    IC16-23 pertains to municipal hospithal outher than county.

Whereas the new law does give municipalities the right to regulate their own government hospitals it does not have anything to do with private hospitals.

Just let me say I am not a lawyer, at best I am pertty good at research.

All I did is look up the actual law at the in.gov site. What I cited is verbatum, if any one sees that I have misunderstood something here, please feel free to correct me. I usually take it pretty well.
    You're very close. The thing about the locked, LEO-guarded unit refers to one hospital in the state:Wishard.

Also... the new law continues to allow cities/counties the power to maintain their ordinances for city/county hospitals, it does not give them any rights at all. Other than that, I see no factual errors in your post.

Thanks for posting! :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    A bank is just like any other private business. If it isn't posted you can carry. I specifically carry because it IS a bank. (A former coworkers wife was a teller who had a gun stuck in her face in a robbery. The perp warned them not to put a dye pack in the money bag. One of the women did. When it went off in the parking lot the dude went nuts. By the grace of God one of the tellers had rushed to the door as soon as he walked out and had just turned the lock as he got back to the door. My friend's wife has no doubt that he would have shot them all if he could have gotten back in. If I'm ever unlucky enough to be in that situation I want to be able to draw my weapon and hunker down behind something.)

Even if it's posted, you can carry. Signs hold no weight of law, even at a bank. They may not like it, and may try to ask you to leave. It's been discussed here before, however, that as a person who has money or other investments in that bank, you have a vested interest in that property and thus the trespass law might not apply.

Top Bottom