• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POTI

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    My buddy had his hi-point in a fire. The damn thing basically melted, it was a lump of metal and plastic. Je called up hi-point they said send it in well see what we can do. Well a week later he gets a brand new one in the mail! Now that's what I call a warranty. I am going to go shoot it and see what gives I just might need a fishing pistol :)

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    My buddy had his hi-point in a fire. The damn thing basically melted, it was a lump of metal and plastic. Je called up hi-point they said send it in well see what we can do. Well a week later he gets a brand new one in the mail! Now that's what I call a warranty. I am going to go shoot it and see what gives I just might need a fishing pistol :)

Not surprising at all. Glad your buddy was taken care of!!! :rockwoot:

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    The company does what it says. I know the guns are heavy and fugly...........but they work and are affordable to people on a budget:yesway:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    My ugly little 995 carbine is the best shooting $100 gun I ever bought. I really want to get it a buddy, there is one for sale here but just do not have the cash yet. Trying to get my Triumph back on the road.

If their handguns weren't so damn ugly, I would have a couple. I have read a lot about them and supposedly shoot just fine. I just cannot get past their looks, especially when I look at my 1911 or S&W L-Frame.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Don't have one, but CS1 speaks well of them, reps to the company. :thumbsup:

Would be interesting to see the gun after the fire damage and before he sent it into the company.

I know where a magazine is for a Hi-Point, wonder if they would replace the gun to go around it. :D

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury

Just about any gun would melt at leat partialy in any significant fire; house fires can reach 1,700*, which will melt just about anything other than copper or steel. Good on Hi-Point for honoring their warrenty. That really shouldn't be surprising, as its just simple old-fashioned honesty... but with the way most companies try to weasel out of any kind of repair work, its becoming a rare thing.

The company does what it says. I know the guns are heavy and fugly...........but they work and are affordable to people on a budget:yesway:

Yup; its a gun, it shoots bullets, its cheap. Thats great... but I'll never understandy why thats something to build your life around.:dunno:

Last edited:

AngryFish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I'm still on the fence about picking one up. On one hand I really want a 9mm carbine. On the other I absolutely hate the way it looks.

Might end up building up a 9mm upper for my AR instead. The HiPoint is definitely more economical though.

harleyindys

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Southside Indy
    Here is a review of 9mm carbine

The hi-point carbine was originally deveolped during the assault weapons ban of the 90's as a "poor man's" carbine. Costing only $199 for the entry level version, even those on the most modest budget can afford one. Made of
    lg.php

inexpensive castings and injection molded plastic for the most part, the 995 is a excellent example of "form follows function". It is manufactured by Bee Miller Inc. of Dayton, Ohio. It has garnered a reputation as a handy, dependable carbine for plinking or small game hunting.

Many call it "beatiful ugly" and its distinct profile is different from any other firearm on the market. It uses the simple direct blowback action operating system for simplicity of manufacture. Mostly relegated to low-pressure rounds, direct blowback uses the mass of the bolt to keep the action closed until pressure has fallen to a safe level. The 995 uses a massive breechblock to keep the high pressure 9mm round under control. It is fed by a single stack, ten round magazine of proprietary design. This magazine doesn't interchange with any other Hi-point firearm although the 40 S&W version of the carbine shares its magazine with the pistol chambered for the same round.

Of note is the excellent warranty offered on all hi-point firearms. They carry a no-questions-asked, lifetime guarantee, and I can personnaly vouch for its nature. Hi-point will repair or replace at its own cost any damaged or worn out firearm of thier manufacture regardless of whether you are the first owner or the tenth. Any older weapon sent in will have the latest upgraded parts installed for no fee. The only thing you pay out of pocket is shipping fees and hi-point sends you an extra magazine back to cover that as well.

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN
    Wow have to give the company a thumbs up. I don't own one but have shot the 380 version and it seem to shot ok. Great gun for the money. But I have the agree with everyone why did they have to make them so ugly?????

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    Just about any gun would melt at leat partialy in any significant fire; house fires can reach 1,700*, which will melt just about anything other than copper or steel. Good on Hi-Point for honoring their warrenty. That really shouldn't be surprising, as its just simple old-fashioned honesty... but with the way most companies try to weasel out of any kind of repair work, its becoming a rare thing.

Yup; its a gun, it shoots bullets, its cheap. Thats great... but I'll never understandy why thats something to build your life around.:dunno:

I think for most it's price, either I can afford it or I'm looking to go cheap.
    All I know when the shtf I am grabbing my G19 and my 995 first along with all my 9mm ammo!:ar15:

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    Wow have to give the company a thumbs up. I don't own one but have shot the 380 version and it seem to shot ok. Great gun for the money. But I have the agree with everyone why did they have to make them so ugly?????

UGLY???? Says who????:draw: Don't you know beauty is the eye of the beerholder:cheers:

arv99t

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 14, 2009
    Vincennes, Indiana
    I think they are good quality guns for the price. They have a good warranty and everyone I know said they have stood by there warranty. I think its an ugly gun that you don't want to be caught out with your buddies shooting.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN

:lmfao:

Yeah.......

I'll take two. :rolleyes:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I think for most it's price, either I can afford it or I'm looking to go cheap.
    All I know when the shtf I am grabbing my G19 and my 995 first along with all my 9mm ammo!:ar15:

I just wish the damn thing took different magazines. I hate the 10 round ones. Once I save up my fun gun funds again, I want to find a Sub2000 or Sub9 that takes Glock mags. But I would still prefer the HiPoint carbine for plinking. A used one would make a good truck gun. I am even toying with trying to get another OEM stock and trying to adapt a folding UZI stock to it to shorten it down more.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I just wish the damn thing took different magazines. I hate the 10 round ones.

+1. If they came out with larger capacity mags for it, or if it was redesigned to accept other mags (like the Kel-Tec Sub guns), Hi-Point's carbine sales would go through the roof. The magazines are a show stopper for many otherwise would be buyers.

ABN82

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    On a side note, Thomas E. Deeb, President and founder of Hi Point was born and raised in Wabash Indiana.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    +1. If they came out with larger capacity mags for it, or if it was redesigned to accept other mags (like the Kel-Tec Sub guns), Hi-Point's carbine sales would go through the roof. The magazines are a show stopper for many otherwise would be buyers.

I had never considered one for that reason until I shot a buddy's. I am still going to pick up a Kel-Tec sub gun to package up with my Glock someday, but until then, an extra 995 will make a dandy truck gun.

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Not to jack the thread or anything but I have a question for those of you that have sent your carbines in for service: Where did you find a box for it and what shipping service did you use. I'm going to ship my 4095 in for service one of the sight screws broke off.

Top Bottom