Oh, this is a bad idea. Clinton, Sanders and OBummer targets..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    That's a broad of a brush you are painting with there jludo....I am not a Muslim so I tend to back away from generalizations of Muslims or Atheists...Do you know why???? Because I hate to generalize about something I am not a participant in....

I would never say something like "All Atheists are closed minded pretentious pseudo intellectuals who read a Krauss, Dawkins, Sagan or Hawking book and think they have suddenly solved the age old mystery of why we are here...A philosophical question they are naively looking for the answer to from physicists and biologists..."

No...Because that would make me look like a pretentious *********...And I respect others enough to not generalize something of which I am not a part of....

Which is why some of my closest INGO friends include a liberal, two Atheists, and a Muslim.....If it bothers you when folks generalize about Muslims you should not do the same to Christians...That is called hypocrisy and inconsistency...You have enough good ideas and thoughts that you post that should be taken seriously to say something that will just make you no different than those you rail against...

IMHO....

I could have been more clear that I'm not implicating all Christians but I would say the majority of nominal Christians in this country go to church once a week, lead comfortable secular lives and just pay lip service to Jesus. Having read about the morally superior life that Jesus led you can pick out very few people who make more than half hearted attempt to emulate him.
    Obviously some do better than others and I don't mean to imply any particular person reading this might fit into that category.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    There is that word again. "Interpret". Plain spoken commands from your prophet do not need interpretations.
    If I make the statement, "The sky is blue," how would you interpret that?
    Words have meanings. Period.

Tell me what these words mean.

If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die

Is there a context in which the bible is interpreted that these words are no longer valid excuse to stone non believers? Yes. Is that not an 'interpretation' of the bible?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I agree there's no point in practicing then but what religion isn't watered down? A nation of Christians here certainly don't follow Jesus' example.

I'm not sure why you'd have any qualms about Islam being watered down to 'nearly pointless' it just joins the ranks of dozens of other harmless religions at that point, which I'd think you'd encourage, not lambaste.

I agree with you. If the Christians in our nation followed Christ examples and teaching, there would be much less "need" for the Government to step in and provide health and welfare services. The bond of community would be much stronger, the family and neighbor each realizing the value to society of other people.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I could have been more clear that I'm not implicating all Christians but I would say the majority of nominal Christians in this country go to church once a week, lead comfortable secular lives and just pay lip service to Jesus. Having read about the morally superior life that Jesus led you can pick out very few people who make more than half hearted attempt to emulate him.
    Obviously some do better than others and I don't mean to imply any particular person reading this might fit into that category.

Thank you sir....I try but fail on a daily basis...

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Tell me what these words mean.

If there be found among you, within any of thy gates which the LORD thy God giveth thee, man or woman, that hath wrought wickedness in the sight of the LORD thy God, in transgressing his covenant; 17:3 And hath gone and served other gods, and worshipped them, either the sun, or moon, or any of the host of heaven, which I have not commanded; 17:4 And it be told thee, and thou hast heard of it, and enquired diligently, and, behold, it be true, and the thing certain, that such abomination is wrought in Israel; 17:5 Then shalt thou bring forth that man or that woman, which have committed that wicked thing, unto thy gates, even that man or that woman, and shalt stone them with stones, till they die

Is there a context in which the bible is interpreted that these words are no longer valid excuse to stone non believers? Yes. Is that not an 'interpretation' of the bible?

Since the interpretations of the bible are irrelevant in the discussion about Islam and the destruction that it causes, I'm not going to delve into it. If you want to provide some context on the prophet's exhortations to kill non-believers, please feel free. I'd like to see the context/interpretation that invalidates the words of the prophet, for those "moderate" Muslims.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I also don't see many Christians ( or Jews for that matter) plucking out their own eye for lusting after a woman who is not their wife......

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    There is that word again. "Interpret". Plain spoken commands from your prophet do not need interpretations.
    If I make the statement, "The sky is blue," how would you interpret that?
    Words have meanings. Period.

Why are there > 33,000 Christian denominations world-wide? Of course that organizational diversity doesn't mean there are 33,000 interpretations, but you must agree that given the pretty wide differences between Catholics and the various Protestants denominations, there are significant differences in interpretation. Point is, interpretation plays a major role in what YOU believe YOUR prophets are telling you how believers should behave.

There are radical Christians who make interpretations I'm sure you wouldn't agree with. Of course in Christianity there aren't nearly the numbers of radical people as Islam, and they haven't risen to the vocal positions they have within their religions. Christians don't seem to mind calling out their radical elements. However that doesn't mean that some Muslims can renounce and reinterpret the difficultly violent scriptures like Christians have essentially done. I say let the moderates be moderate and call out the radicals.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Why are there > 33,000 Christian denominations world-wide?
    Because we can't agree on the proper color of carpeting? :dunno:

Of course that organizational diversity doesn't mean there are 33,000 interpretations, but you must agree that given the pretty wide differences between Catholics and the various Protestants denominations, there are significant differences in interpretation. Point is, interpretation plays a major role in what YOU believe YOUR prophets are telling you how believers should behave.
    It's been some 2000+ years since a true prophet has spoken.

There are radical Christians who make interpretations I'm sure you wouldn't agree with. Of course in Christianity there aren't nearly the numbers of radical people as Islam, and they haven't risen to the vocal positions they have within their religions. Christians don't seem to mind calling out their radical elements. However that doesn't mean that some Muslims can renounce and reinterpret the difficultly violent scriptures like Christians have essentially done. I say let the moderates be moderate and call out the radicals.
    Part of it is indeed cultural.

I think comparisons between sect of Judaism and Islam are probably more appropriate, but I'm no expert on Islam or it's various sects.

As for Christianity, to constantly go back to Levitical Law and ask why we don't follow it, shows a misunderstanding of the massive context switch that occurred when Christ came, died and resurrected.

And the word you are all looking for is hermaneutics.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Because we can't agree on the proper color of carpeting? :dunno:

It's been some 2000+ years since a true prophet has spoken.

Part of it is indeed cultural.

I think comparisons between sect of Judaism and Islam are probably more appropriate, but I'm no expert on Islam or it's various sects.

As for Christianity, to constantly go back to Levitical Law and ask why we don't follow it, shows a misunderstanding of the massive context switch that occurred when Christ came, died and resurrected.

And the word you are all looking for is hermaneutics.

+1, though I'm confident Jamil knows this.

Top Bottom