• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    So, I started my day off this morning by taking off work but still getting up early. Headed down to Whittaker Guns in Owensboro, KY. For those who haven't been there... It's :rockwoot: Anyway, I went down for Ruger Days in hopes of snagging the elusive SR1911. I got there 15 minutes before they opened and there were already about 15 people in line. I hopped in line expecting the worst, but to my surprise they came out and counted us and told us that we should all be able to get a SR1911. YAY!!! By the time the doors opened, there were more than 25 in line waiting for their shot at a SR1911. They only had 30. As we walked in, they basically handed them out with 4473s on top of them. It was really pretty funny to see. I'd say by 8:02 there were only 3 or 4 SR1911s left on the counter, and no way they were there longer than another 15-20 minutes. They went soooo fast!! They mentioned possibly getting another 20 in maybe tomorrow or late today but were unsure. The best part, $599!!! I'm :)

I told Darryl that I needed it to go to J&S and then I began to feel sorry for myself because I wouldn't be able to get it until Monday. For those that don't know, Jim from J&S comes down every Saturday to pick up transfers and takes them back to Evansville where we SWern Indiana guys can pick them up. He only charges $20 to go get them and transfer them. Very reasonable in my opinion. I'm :(

Well... I shopped around and grabbed a few other things, drooled, and chatted with the Ruger rep (who was really a cool guy) for the next hour or so. My regret about not being able to get the gun until the following week started to really get to me, so I went up and talked to Darryl to ask about just shipping it up to Right to Bear Arms where I could probably get it on Friday. He said Jim had actually just walked in to buy an LC9 and was going to take this mornings guns back with him. I couldn't run over to Jim fast enough. I asked him if he was going to have them available later today, and he said, "I'll see ya' at 1." I about hugged him. haha. Now, I'm :D

I put a couple mags through it when I got home. Great shooting pistol. I waited a long time, but it was SO worth it. Great gun, fantastic price. Mmmm... Love me some Whittaker Guns!!! BTW, the blued mag in the pics is an old 1911 magazine we found in a box of gun stuff of my grandpa's. Functioned and fed fine. Gotta lovwe compatibility.

Well, enough jibber-jabbering... on with the PICS!!!

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    wow would be nice if ruger shipped some 1911's to the dealers in indiana

love rugers, own 3, but cant even seem to put my eyes on a sr1911
    come on ruger 30 to one store! b******T!

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    Wow, that Ruger is sharp!

If you have never gone to Whittaker's in West Louisville, KY and you love guns, make the road trip. You will not regret it.

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Here's something I learned from Whittaker's. You can get a signed letter from your LGS appointing you their courier. When you buy the gun show them the letter and they will give you the gun. You deliver it to the LGS and do the transfer. You can also do it by phone from Whittaker's. Don't know if other stores do this but they should.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne

:dunno:

I thought Elmore's had one when I was in there last weekend.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN

I don't know how a store gets to sponsor a "Ruger Days" event, but that's how stores get them in larger quantities. Ruger hooks them up for the day as well as sending a rep to chat with patrons.

Ruger Events

Here's something I learned from Whittaker's. You can get a signed letter from your LGS appointing you their courier. When you buy the gun show them the letter and they will give you the gun. You deliver it to the LGS and do the transfer. You can also do it by phone from Whittaker's. Don't know if other stores do this but they should.
    You're kidding me??? That would for sure be the way to go. Where did you hear this? This would make it even easier.

Are there any specials (Ruger or elsewise) as part of the event?

There was a rep there to chat and answer any questions. They also had a decent quantity of SR22 pistols, Gunsite Scouts, 10/22 TDs there for the event. There having a raffle for a 10/22 also. Drawing on Saturday, I believe. Get a ticket for coming in, and 4 tickets for buying a Ruger.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I don't know how a store gets to sponsor a "Ruger Days" event, but that's how stores get them in larger quantities. Ruger hooks them up for the day as well as sending a rep to chat with patrons.

Ruger Events

i got a email from mike peifer(sp?) (prez at ruger)saying how ruger has spent 3 million on upgrades and training for ruger to be able to produce more 1911's but in the same e mail he says that the distrubitors get "limited quantity" and "pick who they sell them too"

i guess the ruger factory is the "distrubitor" and they "pick who they sell them too":dunno:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Agreed, can't go wrong with Moonlite or Whittaker. I've got an uncle and aunt that liv in Owensboro so I was always familiar with the food side, just not necessarily Whittaker until a couple years ago.

YoungGunLover

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. Since we are not allowed to buy guns in other states without having them shipped to an Indiana FFL, what does everyone think about having someone in Kentucky buy the gun and then "buy" it off them? I have some friends that live in Kentucky so just wondering if there is any problems with this if I ever choose this path?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. Since we are not allowed to buy guns in other states without having them shipped to an Indiana FFL, what does everyone think about having someone in Kentucky buy the gun and then "buy" it off them? I have some friends that live in Kentucky so just wondering if there is any problems with this if I ever choose this path?

it is against federal law to purchase a handgun across state lines even private sales

in this situation i think it might even be a "straw purchase"

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana

You still must go through a FFL dealer to cross state lines.....

and.......I wouldn't discuss it in a open public forum like this, which has many watchful eye's..

Top Bottom