• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Edit to add: My wife timed me last night. With a warm deer hanging in the gambrel, I picked up my knife and put bowls of meat in the fridge 22 minutes apart. That's skinning, boning and discarding scraps. I have a system of braking the legs, hide & head down into the ribcage and cutting between the 1st and 2nd rib for a handle. Once the meat is off, it's like a 5 gallon bucket to carry off.

you should have her video that, those of us wanting to get better or start processing our own could probably learn a thing or two.

Yep. That'd be way cool to see that. Any details on cuts or commentary would be a big bonus too.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    Went out last night for the first time this year and took my 8 yr old son. We had a blast. Had 6 does and yearling within 15' of the blind and a real decent 6pt (save him for next year or two) 10 yds away. The boy was good and quiet for as excited as he was. It was the perfect hunt.

tackshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 11, 2014
    Southside
    Saw one today about 930ish , soon as I saw it , it was gone, didn't have time to tell which sex. Maybe I'll get a chance tonight . ( to shoot not to tell which sex it is lol)

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    I saw a couple of small bucks this morning and that was it. I don't know if I will get out tonight. Be safe and good luck all.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Let the Bowtech fly during my first hunt at the family farm this year. About a 12 yard shot on a mature doe with about ten minutes of legal light left. Stupid Nockturnal nock didn't light up so I didn't see the hit, but it sure sounded good. Found 7 inches of broken arrow, where she ran through a thicket of young trees and broke it off.

Thinking I must have buried the Slick Trick in the opposite shoulder, probably should have aimed a tad bit further back. Couldn't find a blood trail, it got real dark and real thick pretty fast.

I was messing around after getting set up, taking some pics. Ended up shooting her in that little clearing on the very left of this pic.

10410389_10152460867898528_926413784819589735_n.jpg

The funny thing is, that's an old road that I walked in on, my climber was facing more into the woods overlooking the two trails that come out of the bedding area. These two does came in at last light, walking straight up the road I came in on... and must have passed my truck on the way. I kept somewhat of an angle to spot deer walking down that road, didn't expect them to come up.

Even funnier.... I had just started to pack my stuff up to climb down. Had taken off my release and put the arrow back in the quiver.

We'll be back out tomorrow morning to find the doe, I'm sure with 20 inches of Easton stuck in her, she'll be on the ground in that thicket somewhere.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I sat in a tree last evening. I saw 4 does, but had no shot. The deer came out at last light. Beautiful evening to be in the woods. Good luck to all!

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    After spending all day crawling around the farm, and the adjoining property, the trail ends with no deer.

Lesson 1: I need to find the contact info for the adjoining property. It's Lawrence County and the farm is in Martin. I believe it's a lease because I only ever see people there during gun season. They have foot plots and trail cams, all of which have tons of pics of the boy and I crawling around. I did hold up my cell phone # to one of the trail cams, so hopefully we can exchange info and agree to allow the other to chase game. I felt dirty tracking a deer on his place.

Lesson 2: Two noobie bowhunter mistakes on my part. I held my pin I what I believed to be the middle of the vitals, but was actually high.. My pin was dialed for 20 yards and the doe was probably only 10-12 yards away. I should have compensated for being that close and elevated along with aiming way lower at the heart.

Lesson 3: I took 2 arrows with me, both with Slick Tricks and Nockturnals. I only tested one of the arrows to make sure it lit up. That just didn't happen to be the one I grabbed when I was setting up. I use them for a reason and when I needed it the most, it didn't come on to give me that instant feedback in low light.

This deer will probably live. She bedded for the night less than 80 yards from the shot and didn't leave a lot of blood there. I believe most of what we found today was probably from us pushing her and most of the time it was tiny specs. Sometimes we'd get a little more but after 800 yards and hours of crawling, it was literally specs.

It's going to take a week or more for me to recover physically. What was basically a chip shot last night became my worst hunt ever...

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Went out this morning and saw a small doe: probably yearling. She was over 40 yds away, too far for my bow.

My husband bagged a small doe last night with his crossbow.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    After spending all day crawling around the farm, and the adjoining property, the trail ends with no deer.

Lesson 1: I need to find the contact info for the adjoining property. It's Lawrence County and the farm is in Martin. I believe it's a lease because I only ever see people there during gun season. They have foot plots and trail cams, all of which have tons of pics of the boy and I crawling around. I did hold up my cell phone # to one of the trail cams, so hopefully we can exchange info and agree to allow the other to chase game. I felt dirty tracking a deer on his place.

Lesson 2: Two noobie bowhunter mistakes on my part. I held my pin I what I believed to be the middle of the vitals, but was actually high.. My pin was dialed for 20 yards and the doe was probably only 10-12 yards away. I should have compensated for being that close and elevated along with aiming way lower at the heart.

Lesson 3: I took 2 arrows with me, both with Slick Tricks and Nockturnals. I only tested one of the arrows to make sure it lit up. That just didn't happen to be the one I grabbed when I was setting up. I use them for a reason and when I needed it the most, it didn't come on to give me that instant feedback in low light.

This deer will probably live. She bedded for the night less than 80 yards from the shot and didn't leave a lot of blood there. I believe most of what we found today was probably from us pushing her and most of the time it was tiny specs. Sometimes we'd get a little more but after 800 yards and hours of crawling, it was literally specs.

It's going to take a week or more for me to recover physically. What was basically a chip shot last night became my worst hunt ever...

The exact reason I use a Keller pendulum sight. Point and shoot.

Cbabs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    Indy
    Hey all, ingo newbie but a long time member of hoosierhunting. I love hearing all these deer stories. I can't wait to get some time off at the end of oct ans put some time in my stand.

Top Bottom