• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    I haven't even screwed broadheads onto my arrows yet. First year that I can remember where I didn't go in the first week. I'd rather focus on my kids hunting. Now with my oldest daughter bow hunting and with my youngest now able to hunt with her crossbow, I'd rather spend the bulk of my bow season taking them hunting. I'll get my hunting in at some point, but I'm in almost zero rush to do so this year.

Hoping this rain holds back this afternoon for an evening hunt with my oldest daughter. While she is a hunter, she has this issue that she might melt in the rain. I keep telling her that she is sweet, but not that sweet.:laugh:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    saw deer moving all over on the drive to work this morning... makes me wish I had taken the day off.

Buddy saw a big one yesterday, but it didn't get within range.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Shot a buck two days ago. Pass through, blood and hair on my arrow. Trail was easy, large amount of blood, 10 inchs by 6 inches of blood and lung tissue in a few places. Tracked him about 500 yrds and he kicked up and took off. WTF? based on the sign I thought he was going to be dead. It was almost dark, I left him to die and would pick up the trail in the am.

Spent 4 hours in the am looking. Found the trail again but the blood stopped and started every 30 yrds. Could not find him. Call in reinforcements with a buddy who is a tracking pro. Found more sign but the blood trail stopped and the area has so many deer it daily that finding the right trail was impossible. Looked for two more hours. Nothing. Disappointing to say the least. In hind sight I should have not tracked him further than 150 yrds or so the first night.

8056661799_067eaae482_z.jpg

8056661965_32da65d8f2_z.jpg

8056662894_0ca8cd88ca_z.jpg

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Sailor,
    That's what made me give up bow hunting about 10 years ago. Hit a huge buck that would have scored in the 190+ range. Tracked him for hours, then the next day. Pieces of lung, blood spraying out both sides... then the trail went cold and the blood stopped just as fast as it started. I figure the cheap broadheads didn't cut enough, and the wound clogged up.

What broadheads are you using? I just started back into bow hunting this year, and am using Rage 2 blade. Not going to let the wound clog this time.

Mike H

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Vincennes
    Bummer up there...that deer should be dead. But I've been there and done that too.
    So far this weeks been a bust for me. I went out Monday, Wed, and today. I'm seeing very little, hopefully it will pick up soon.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Based on the photos you posted. I'd guess liver and one lung. The dark red blood indicates liver, the bright bubbly likely lung. If he was quartering away, you might have hit him back a little, hitting the liver first and catching the back of the offside lung on the exit. I'd guess a low exit given the white hair on the fletching. In any event, this is a dead deer. However, if that truly was the hit as I'm guessing, the best case would be to back out immediately, let him lay down, and go find him in the morning. But that can be a tough call when seeing that much blood, I know, I've been there before. You may have pushed him by tracking him too soon.

99.9% chance he is dead though. I'd get a bunch of buddies and start walking grid patterns and cover every square foot of ground that I could get permission to track him on.

Sadly this is the not so enjoyable part about hunting ... but something all of us have had to do at some point while bow hunting.

Good luck!

rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    Its been a crappy start to my year. Shot a doe Tuesday and never found it and today im hunting private land by Trafalgar, me and my friend are the only two people with permission to hunt it but apparently we have trespassers because my stand is gone. I know i didn't cross the property line because the owners walked the whole property with us

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I was shooting Muzzy 3 blade when I lost my deer. I won't ever spend money on a Muzzy again.

That is all I ever used for 10 years, never lost a Deer I shot right. Deer are tough though and I have heard of them surviving single lung shots.
    I am trying Rage this year with the new bow, we will see how that goes.

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Hunted the morning, saw a mature doe with a young one about 9:30am along the edge of a bean field. I was about 60 yards away, no shots taken today.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I got out today on my new property I am hunting this year. Stand situated between a creek and a bean field along a ridge. The morning was chilly. I thought for sure I would see some deer moving but the rain drop on the leaves were dropping all morning and the woods were noisy.

Staid in the stand from 6:30 am - 2:30 pm. Saw two nice looking doe on the opposite side of the creek at 90 yards. About 4 minutes later I spotted a lone coyote hot on their trail.

Better luck next time.

On a side note, I used a primos bow sling to carry my bow today as I have a nice walk on the new place. Best thing ever.

Top Bottom