• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    My pole beans have been blooming like crazy, but we've only gotten a couple of messes to eat, nothing to can. I've got some more seeds and they're 65 day. I'm thinking of planting them this week and seeing if I can get some before the frost. Has anyone planted beans this late and had success?

Mine too! And the second batch was tough and stringy even though they weren't overly big. I've planted bush beans this late with no problem, but never pole beans. However, Indianapolis-area first frost date isn't until first week in October. Beans aren't necessarily heat-lovers, so cooler temps wouldn't necessarily hurt them. I think a bigger problem would be the pollinators. I don't know the habits of bean pollinators. But a few seeds are inexpensive. It's a worth a try in my book.

Grunt, about your watermelon. I don't know that it's a case of growing too fast (I don't think that can technically happen) per se. But it might be a case of irregular water supply. I know carrots can split open to the core so it looks like they're wearing a cape. And tomatoes crack. It happens when there's not enough water for a period of time and then an infusion of plenty, the tissues of the fruit haven't had a chance to grow to accommodate the influx of the watering and instead of growing uniformly within the perimeter tissue, the interior tissue expands faster than the perimeter tissue does and it cracks. Of course, I could be completely wrong too. What's the texture of the "blood?" That stuff looks gross.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol 88 its kinda the texture of actual blood. it's like a thick syrup. i feed it to my chickens and they loved it. i ate a couple pieces just to see and it wasn't completely ripe but it had a good flavor just needed to be a bit sweeter. the spots where the blood was only in certain spots that had cracks so who knows. none of my others are having any problems as of yet so lets hope it was just a fluke :)

my pole beans are growing like crazy with tons and tons of flowers but the string in it is so crazy tough they aren't good at all. and its really a pain in the ass to pull each string out bean by bean lol. i have a ton sitting ready to be picked. next year i'm sticking with all contender bush beans and i'm going to rotate the crop every week i'll plant another batch. they have a great flavor and aren't stringy at all.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    this is from about 4 potato plants
    DSCN0100.jpg

I'm impressed how did you get hot peppers and tomatoes from a potato plant. you must be the greatest gardener on the planet. :):

The pics look awesome. I wish my garden was doing that well.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I'm impressed how did you get hot peppers and tomatoes from a potato plant. you must be the greatest gardener on the planet. :):

The pics look awesome. I wish my garden was doing that well.

lol whats funny is that i let a bunch of plants last year drop there fruit (well i couldn't keep up with it all lol) but on my potato hills there was a ton of tomato plants and pepper plants, they were hybrids so i didn't think they would grow but the tomato's are doing great and have produced big and tasty fruits. the peppers on the other hand are rather little and no real flavor.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    We got some tonight! Even got to shut off our CNC mills at work for a whole 30 minutes due to lightning, lol.

Gonna have to go out and look at my pumpkins tomorrow, they'll grow 3-6" overnight after rain it seems...
    We got rain, too! :rockwoot:It did fill up one water barrel. Not a lot, but every little bit helps.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    :woot: I harvested some of my potatoes plants tonight! They only averaged about 3-4 potatoes per plant, and that includes the little ones, but it's still better than I expected.

Now to figure out how to get the temp low enough and the humidity high enough for proper curing. Anybody got any suggestions?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm pleased with my garden this year with one exception. I am pulling and burning my tomato plants this afternoon. They got about 7-8 ft tall and began to produce beautifully..then the blight set in. I began a regimen of spraying them at which point they started to come around, new growth, blossoming again...now effing horn worms. I was surprised to recover from the blight, but now with the horn worms I fear there is no hope. I don't understand really, the sprays I have been using are supposed to kill them and keep them away...Oh well, there's always next year. On the bright side though I did manage to get enough to make a gallon of salsa...mmmmm. Everything in it came from the garden except the salt and the splash of lemon juice. I put like 7-8 different varieties of peppers in it.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    have you sprayed with seven or tried seven dust? if that's not working don't just give up there is lots of good season left for the tomato's. go to menards and get some of this and sprinkle it all over your plants. it's basically shards of little glass to bugs. it cuts them up and dries them out. i use it in my chicken coop. do becareful with it as it will kill bee's and we need those guys

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Perma-Guard-Diatomaceous-Earth-Food-Grade/dp/B002XMTXX8/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1313258765&sr=1-5]Amazon.com: Perma-Guard Diatomaceous Earth DE Food Grade 50 lb bag: Home & Garden[/ame]

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    have you sprayed with seven or tried seven dust? if that's not working don't just give up there is lots of good season left for the tomato's. go to menards and get some of this and sprinkle it all over your plants. it's basically shards of little glass to bugs. it cuts them up and dries them out. i use it in my chicken coop. do becareful with it as it will kill bee's and we need those guys

Amazon.com: Perma-Guard Diatomaceous Earth DE Food Grade 50 lb bag: Home & Garden
    I used seven dust last year to no avail. this year I used the seven spray. It worked well for the little green worms on my cabbage. The fungicide spray I've been using to wipe out the blight is sulfur based and is supposed to take care of insects and mites but for some reason wont touch the horn worms.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    yeah i don't trust that. i only use the fungicide to take care of the blights and fungus that form in the extremely wet, hot and humid weather we have here. spray them good with the seven spray and i bet it will work. make sure you spraying the bottom side of the leaves too as they like to really hang out on the underside

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    yeah i don't trust that. i only use the fungicide to take care of the blights and fungus that form in the extremely wet, hot and humid weather we have here. spray them good with the seven spray and i bet it will work. make sure you spraying the bottom side of the leaves too as they like to really hang out on the underside
    Yeah, I may give it one more shot but I'm just about done screwing around with the maters this year.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    well the garden is booming right now. tomatoes are a plenty, banana peppers too, also bell peppers, the jalapenos have produced a few more but not a ton, watermelon and cantaloupe 1 plant each. i counted tonight and there is 33 cantaloupes growing and 15 watermelons. me and the little one dug up more potatoes probably 70 or more and i still have almost a full row to go. next year i will do them differently but i'm very happy with them for my first time. i harvested a couple cabbages, 1 cabbages weighted 11 pounds after i cleaned it up :)

i also got the hook up on a bunch of pickling cucumbers and did 20 quarts and 7 pints of pickles.

this has been a good year for me despite the crazy ass storms and then extreme heat and drought.

i guess on to some pictures :)

some of the cuc's
    DSCN0119.jpg

and there byproduct
    DSCN0114.jpg

just a random harvest pic :)
    DSCN0113.jpg

and the potatoes
    DSCN0118.jpg

i hope everyone else's garden is doing well also :)

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Nope, but entering the latter stages. I just pulled the first round of dry beans and hung them up to dry (so they could get rained on this evening :xmad:). The other bed should be showing some beans soon. And I hope so because they'll need time to mature AND dry. I don't like having all that hang from my kitchen.

My tomatoes need to be picked again and I have to start using up the peppers. They're coming out of my ears.

One potato row was done; I think the heat did them in. Not a great bounty, but fair. I still have two more rows and they're going gang-busters on foliage now that the heat has dissipated and we're getting more rain.

My pole beans seems to be putting out a second round, at least the plants that made it through the heat. Hopefully these won't be so stringy and tough.

The sweet potato is taking over the garden, as are the pumpkin and cantaloupe plants. Oddly enough, I've had 5 pumpkins, but three have turned to mush. One is rather huge though. And I believe there are 2 cantaloupes in varying stages of ripeness.

Sweet corn is done. Pitiful year....again.

And I have no idea what the peanuts are doing. :dunno: :D

Top Bottom