• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Just got a call from one of my very best buddies who is a LEO down there. Wanted to let me know he was "still sucking air". He said he just spent 8 hours at the scene and is beat. Officer was shot above the knee, did not break bone or arteries, going into surgery tomorrow to clean up the wound.

Guy in the house had a Glock 23. Probably should not post this on internet but I figure the media will make something up anyway. Plus I know somebody is going to ask.

Are ya say'n the Dog's still alive?.......at'd be GREAT news!.....:rockwoot:

I ask'd this sumplace else......knew the POS was arm'd ,cause he point'd weapon at S-burg police Chief.....soooo.....know'n that......why in'a hell would they send that dog in?......:dunno:

Very tragic. Shooter would be lucky to walk away from this one. But if he does walk away, it's sad to say that the prison system won't keep him as a guest long enough to prevent him from doing it again some day.

Dude should buy a lotto tick.......
    Standoff in Sellersburg ends, suspect in custody - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

Damn shame he did'n eat a .308.....or .300 WinMag, whutever they use'n these days......

(he'd of 'resist'd' arrest........'specially if I was 'at dog's handler......know whut I mean?........)

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    My condolences go towards Kilo and I hope the officer recovers quickly.

What is the punishment for shooting and killing a police k9? Aggravated battery with a weapon?

I'd think it carrys' the same weight as kill'n a 2 leg'd LEO......dude should git the dirtnap........:twocents:

The 'dog'.......is a officer of the law,even though he's a dog.........

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    I'd think it carrys' the same weight as kill'n a 2 leg'd LEO......dude should git the dirtnap........:twocents:

The 'dog'.......is a officer of the law,even though he's a dog.........

I certainly hope the punishment isn't the same as killing a cop. It was a dog, not a person. Someone will twist what I said, but this guy doesn't deserve to be charged with killing a cop. He attempted to kill a person, managed to shoot an officer, and kill a dog. The guy is a POS and deserves lots of prison time, just not for killing an "officer."

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I certainly hope the punishment isn't the same as killing a cop. It was a dog, not a person. Someone will twist what I said, but this guy doesn't deserve to be charged with killing a cop. He attempted to kill a person, managed to shoot an officer, and kill a dog. The guy is a POS and deserves lots of prison time, just not for killing an "officer."

The State of Indiana treats K9's as officers, same as the man/woman that feeds it..

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The State of Indiana treats K9's as officers, same as the man/woman that feeds it..

Yep. Far from "just a dog".

In jdmack's logic, why give more weight to killing a LEO? After all, they are just another worthless human, hell bent on destroying mother earth. (who would be better off in the long run without us humans destroying her)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For those of you saying killing a police K9 is legally the same as killing an officer, I'd like to see the IC code you think applies.

LE animals have their own IC code:

IC 35-46-3-11
    Cruelty to a law enforcement animal
    Sec. 11. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) strikes, torments, injures, or otherwise mistreats a law enforcement animal; or
    (2) interferes with the actions of a law enforcement animal while the animal is engaged in assisting a law enforcement officer in the performance of the officer's duties;
    commits a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) An offense under subsection (a)(1) is a Class D felony if the act results in:
    (1) serious permanent disfigurement;
    (2) unconsciousness;
    (3) permanent or protracted loss or impairment of the function of a bodily member or organ; or
    (4) death;
    of the law enforcement animal.
    (c) It is a defense that the accused person:

(1) engaged in a reasonable act of training, handling, or discipline; and
    (2) acted as an employee or agent of a law enforcement agency.
    (d) In addition to any sentence or fine imposed for a conviction of an offense under this section, the court may order the person convicted to make restitution to the person or law enforcement agency owning the animal for reimbursement of:
    (1) veterinary bills; and
    (2) replacement costs of the animal if the animal is disabled or killed.

WldBill423

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    This is the house right next door. It was pretty crazy down here. My neighbor's home is absolutely wrecked. Please say a prayer for the displaced family, the wounded deputy and the lost K9.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana

:noway:
    Got'a disagree.........waaay more'n 'just a dog'......sunvabi** should git'a same as kill'n a PO.......the 'dog'.......is designated a 'officer'.....

*UPDATE*

Like I said earlier.......even though only a dog ta you........Perp should git the big dirtnap......life without parole , anyways....some 'context' from'a article.....

"Mull said the suspect, Joshua Priddy, will be "prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law" for killing an officer. Among other charges, Priddy faces a Class-D felony charge of killing a law enforcement animal."

Officials, community mourn loss of ISP K-9 - WDRB 41 Louisville - News, Weather, Sports Community

Still say........they never should'a sent 'at dog in........:xmad:

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Looks like the shooter was a retired Louisville firefighter. Very sad about the K-9 and sympathy for the ISP handler. Wishing the Clark Co. detective a speedy and full recovery. Looks like the situation was handled well, everything considered.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    What I think is a load of bull is that K9 Officers are regular dogs in the eyes of the law, and it is not an enhanced charge.

There are specific IC relating to cruelty to a service, search and rescue, or police dog, but they are all Class D felonies if it results in death.

However those are just "feel good" measures.

If you actually look at....

IC 35-46-3-12
    Torture or mutilation of a vertebrate animal; killing a domestic
    animal

A person who knowingly or intentionally kills a domestic animal
    without the consent of the owner of the domestic animal commits
    killing a domestic animal, a Class D felony

So it is a Class D felony whether or not the dog is an officer or a regular dog*

Other examples of Class D felonies include Receiving Stolen Auto Parts, deploying a booby trap, and Stalking.

For comparison's sake, you would get into more trouble for taking a cops gun... a class C felony.
    If you kill him, it would be a class A felony. Not good....

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    What I think is a load of bull is that K9 Officers are regular dogs in the eyes of the law, and it is not an enhanced charge.

There are specific IC relating to cruelty to a service, search and rescue, or police dog, but they are all Class D felonies if it results in death.

If you actually look at....

So it is a Class D felony whether or not the dog is an officer or a regular dog*

Other examples of Class D felonies include Receiving Stolen Auto Parts, deploying a booby trap, and Stalking.

For comparison's sake, you would get into more trouble for taking a cops gun... a class C felony.
    If you kill him, it would be a class A felony. Not good....

:rolleyes:

Uhhhh......see post #33...........

a direct quote......from the Pros Atty......
    "Mull said the suspect, Joshua Priddy, will be "prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law" for killing an officer.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    :rolleyes:

Uhhhh......see post #33...........

I did read your post, but I am confused on one point.

Do you think your red quoted text is indicating he is being charged for killing a police officer? If so you are being mislead by the wording. When it says " fullest extend of the law " it means that he is being charged for killing a police dog, which is ONLY a Class D Felony. Killing a police officer ( HUMAN ) in the line of duty aggravates regular murder, and can carry the death penalty.

In Indiana killing a police dog is no different than killing my dog I have on the couch with me. I don't agree, I think killing a police dog in the line of duty should carry a heftier sentence. We do have separate statues for police and regular dogs, but they carry the same penalty of a Class D Felony.

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I did read your post, but I am confused on one point.

Do you think your red quoted text is indicating he is being charged for killing a police officer? If so you are being mislead by the wording. When it says " fullest extend of the law " it means that he is being charged for killing a police dog, which is ONLY a Class D Felony. Killing a police officer in the line of duty aggravates regular murder, and can carry the death penalty.

In Indiana killing a police dog is no different than killing my dog I have on the couch with me. I don't agree, I think killing a police dog in the line of duty should carry a heftier sentence. We do have separate statues for police and regular dogs, but they carry the same penalty of a Class D Felony.

:):
    Unnerstand YER point as well. Dunno........think the Mull dude'll proscute it otherwise.......be interst'n ta see/follow........I'm hope'n he gets the least-smart State appoint'd defense atty,an' HOPE......."well he had MENTAL issues at'a time" shizz don't fall into play.......FWIW......The Mull dudes got a dang good track record on this kind'a shizz......;)

I mean......how else ya see "For killing an Officer" defined?........:dunno:

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I agree with you, but I don't think this particular dirt bag will get an enhanced charge. Now, as a result of this case, if there is a big enough push, maybe we can get the legislature to change the code. There is absolutely no reason to have different codes if they get the same punishment. Killing a police dog should NOT be the same as killing a regular dog. Maybe the next guy will get reamed good, but I don't think this one will. We even have "Cruelty to a service animal; death" "Cruelty to search and rescue animal; death"

What is the purpose? Why are they all Class D felonies?

So killing an officer in the line of duty gets you the death penalty, but killing a k9 officer gets you A Class D felony... the guy is getting in more trouble for shooting that police officer in the leg.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

They both top out at Class D felonies, but LE (and other service animals) have enhanced penalties for things short of death. Note the IC code I posted earlier. Knocking a police K9 out is a D felony, but no such protection exists for non-service animals unless it elevates to the level of torture. Interfering with a service animal is a misdemeanor, where no such crime exists for non-service animals. Striking a service animal is a misdemeanor, whereas you must "beat" a non-service animal for the same level of offense.

I wouldn't be opposed to a stiffer penalty for killing one, but the IC code does draw differences beyond "feel good" measures as it currently stands.

Top Bottom