• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    They both top out at Class D felonies, but LE (and other service animals) have enhanced penalties for things short of death. Note the IC code I posted earlier. Knocking a police K9 out is a D felony, but no such protection exists for non-service animals unless it elevates to the level of torture. Interfering with a service animal is a misdemeanor, where no such crime exists for non-service animals. Striking a service animal is a misdemeanor, whereas you must "beat" a non-service animal for the same level of offense.

I wouldn't be opposed to a stiffer penalty for killing one, but the IC code does draw differences beyond "feel good" measures as it currently stands.

Those are good points. :yesway:
    I don't see why they made death get only a Class D felony though.
    I understand the "punishment must fit the crime" idea, but there are PLENTY of Class B and C felonies that are not as bad as killing a police officer (dog)

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    A dog is a dog. He does dog things. Licks his butt, sniffs his buddies butt, thinks about food.

If my house is served with a no knock warrant by mistake and the dog is the first one in and I kill the first two shapes through the door in the dark and confusion, should the dog still be special? I like my dog too, and she'd fight to protect me. Yet she gets no special protections under the law if an officer shoots her as she attempts to protect me. They are dogs. And cops are only men.
    Granted that they are men trying, for the most part, to help maintain a stable, polite, relatively safe society and they are willing to put themselves in harms way to do it. But they are still just men. No more deserving of special protections than those of a different race or sexual preference. Punishment for killing a good civilian should be no different than for killing a good cop.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    A dog is a dog. He does dog things. Licks his butt, sniffs his buddies butt, thinks about food.

If my house is served with a no knock warrant by mistake and the dog is the first one in and I kill the first two shapes through the door in the dark and confusion, should the dog still be special? I like my dog too, and she'd fight to protect me. Yet she gets no special protections under the law if an officer shoots her as she attempts to protect me. They are dogs. And cops are only men.
    Granted that they are men trying, for the most part, to help maintain a stable, polite, relatively safe society and they are willing to put themselves in harms way to do it. But they are still just men. No more deserving of special protections than those of a different race or sexual preference. Punishment for killing a good civilian should be no different than for killing a good cop.

I'm surprised that it took this long for the anti-police no knock raiders to come into this thread. What does this situation have to do with no knock raids?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Like JMoses said, this has nothing to do with no-knock warrants.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

In this instance, its not about being a dog. Its about interfering with the service that dog provides. When you interfere with a service animal, law enforcement or seeing eye dog or what have you, you are doing more than bothering an animal. You are actively hindering a human being by proxy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Here we go again. :rolleyes:

Like JMoses said, this has nothing to do with no-knock warrants.

Knowing some of the officers on that team, I have no doubt the procedures were followed as they needed to be. The guh apprehended needs to be prosecuted and if found guilty punished to the fullest extent of the law. Let's just all be happy that human life was not lost. That is not to say I don't value the dog.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Knowing some of the officers on that team, I have no doubt the procedures were followed as they needed to be. The guh apprehended needs to be prosecuted and if found guilty punished to the fullest extent of the law. Let's just all be happy that human life was not lost. That is not to say I don't value the dog.

Well I got no doubt 'procedure' was be'n follow'd as well......STILL......Why send the DOG in ? .......?:dunno:

From whut I can unnerstand.......the perp's IN the house......with weapon(s)...NObody else......place is swarm'n with at least 5 area departments with.....870's ,6920's,EVERbody's got they service weapon.....SWAT's on scene with.....prolly at least 3 with the 700's......the dude AIN't GO'n NOwhere......hot'rn a popcorn fart in hell outside.....SOoooo.....why not cut the power,an' sweat this dude out?.......I mean.....they DID ANYway's....almost 10 hrs,so.....WHY.....SEND the DOG IN,1st?......:dunno:

I ain't the ripe'st t'mater on the vine but......it's about like be'n at the top the Empire State Building and say'n....." Well.....hope ya can FLY , big feller!"....an' toss'n the dog off.........:twocents:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well I got no doubt 'procedure' was be'n follow'd as well......STILL......Why send the DOG in ? .......?:dunno:

From whut I can unnerstand.......the perp's IN the house......with weapon(s)...NObody else......place is swarm'n with at least 5 area departments with.....870's ,6920's,EVERbody's got they service weapon.....SWAT's on scene with.....prolly at least 3 with the 700's......the dude AIN't GO'n NOwhere......hot'rn a popcorn fart in hell outside.....SOoooo.....why not cut the power,an' sweat this dude out?.......I mean.....they DID ANYway's....almost 10 hrs,so.....WHY.....SEND the DOG IN,1st?......:dunno:

I ain't the ripe'st t'mater on the vine but......it's about like be'n at the top the Empire State Building and say'n....." Well.....hope ya can FLY , big feller!"....an' toss'n the dog off.........:twocents:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that all of those assets weren't in place when the dog was shot. Is more likely they were called in after the dog was shot.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013

There were three houses that had forced entry when this started and they were searching each one in an attempt to locate the suspect. Officers commonly use dogs for building searches in high risk situations such as this. In this case, Kilo saved the lives of one or more officers.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and speculate that all of those assets weren't in place when the dog was shot. Is more likely they were called in after the dog was shot.

Aw-rite......:yesway:.......I'll give ya that....Thanks

There were three houses that had forced entry when this started and they were searching each one in an attempt to locate the suspect. Officers commonly use dogs for building searches in high risk situations such as this. In this case, Kilo saved the lives of one or more officers.

As many places I ask'd, b'sides this1.......best answer yet.....Thanks

Damn shame, I tell ya.....he's a handsome dog......an' I got no doubt.....that officer Abbot......his handler......is beyond devastated at the loss.....

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Aw-rite......:yesway:.......I'll give ya that....Thanks

As many places I ask'd, b'sides this1.......best answer yet.....Thanks

Damn shame, I tell ya.....he's a handsome dog......an' I got no doubt.....that officer Abbot......his handler......is beyond devastated at the loss.....

Your typing and overuse of the ellipsis makes my brain cry.

Let me help you out a bit with some thoughts on how it should be used....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ellipsis

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    They both top out at Class D felonies, but LE (and other service animals) have enhanced penalties for things short of death. Note the IC code I posted earlier. Knocking a police K9 out is a D felony, but no such protection exists for non-service animals unless it elevates to the level of torture. Interfering with a service animal is a misdemeanor, where no such crime exists for non-service animals. Striking a service animal is a misdemeanor, whereas you must "beat" a non-service animal for the same level of offense.

I wouldn't be opposed to a stiffer penalty for killing one, but the IC code does draw differences beyond "feel good" measures as it currently stands.

I love animals but to me in the service of the govt it's a tool. I don't think it should be even close to the same as shooting a human Leo.

Also best wishes for the Leo's involved. Ill probly butt hurt some folks for saying this but do we know all the circumstances of the incident yet? Did they force their way into the guys house (warrant or no warrant?). I know a lot of people boast on this board about standing their ground in their house, I'm just wondering if this old guy did just that. Until all the facts are in I don't think it's right to call for the guy to die in a hail of gun fire. We do still have laws in this country. Now if the guy was trying to knock over a gas station that's different. I just have a hard time cheering when homeowners being ambushed in their own houses without knowing all the facts to make sure it was a legal operation or not.
    I'm not saying it wasn't but I'm not saying it was either. I wasn't there. I don't know anyone involved either. I hope this doesn't get twisted to cop bashing. It's not. It's called due process.

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    I love animals but to me in the service of the govt it's a tool. I don't think it should be even close to the same as shooting a human Leo.

Also best wishes for the Leo's involved. Ill probly butt hurt some folks for saying this but do we know all the circumstances of the incident yet? Did they force their way into the guys house (warrant or no warrant?). I know a lot of people boast on this board about standing their ground in their house, I'm just wondering if this old guy did just that. Until all the facts are in I don't think it's right to call for the guy to die in a hail of gun fire. We do still have laws in this country. Now if the guy was trying to knock over a gas station that's different. I just have a hard time cheering when homeowners being ambushed in their own houses without knowing all the facts to make sure it was a legal operation or not.
    I'm not saying it wasn't but I'm not saying it was either. I wasn't there. I don't know anyone involved either. I hope this doesn't get twisted to cop bashing. It's not. It's called due process.

It want even his home, he had broken into three homes after a chase, so your scenario is as far off as it can be.

Top Bottom