Offical 2010 BBQ Thread!!! Post your pics!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I keep repping Tyler in hopes he likes me enough to invite me over for dinner.

Any of you got BBQ recipes for those of us on the border of the BEETUS and need to restrict our carbs/sugars?

your welcome anytime I'm cooking, and as a matter of fact I do have a sugar free BBQ sauce. but i will tell you it is more at home as a mop.

1/2 cup- red wine vinegar
    1/2 cup- vegetable oil
    1 cup- dry red wine
    3 cloves of pressed garlic
    1/2 tsp.- dried rosemary leaves
    1/2 tsp.- liquid sugar substitute
    1/2 tsp.- fine sea salt
    1/2 tsp.- black pepper
    1/4 tsp.- ground cloves
    1/4 tsp.- powdered bay leaf
    1/2 cup- chopped onions
    1 tsp.- minced parsley leaves
    1tbs.- soy sauce

just combine and stir.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    am I the only one with recipes???? well here is another one.
    Nah, I just didn't realize we were posting recipes (I didn't look at this thread for a while).

I have one... it's not mine so credit must be given to "ShooterRick" from various bbq/smoking forums (he is on several that I visit).

ShooterRicks Snake Bitten Chicken and Seafood Rub
    This recipe is my twist on jerk. It has a definite bite of spice coupled with the South American style hint of sweet to balance it out.
    3/4 cup raw sugar
    ¼ cup sea salt
    1tbs red pepper flakes
    1tbs garlic powder
    1tbs onion powder
    1tbs Hungarian Paprika

2 tsp all spice
    1 tsp black pepper course
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp thyme
    1 tsp Wasabi powder
    1 tsp cumin

Mix all and rub chicken well. Let set overnight in fridge and smoke to 170 degrees internal temp. Smoker at 275-300 degrees.

The injection I like for this is 1 cup apple juice, 1 juice from whole Key Lime, 1 standard shot Meyers’s Rum

Also good on seafood.
    My modifications:
    I use normal white sugar and normal table-salt
    I also only use half the red pepper because my wife doesn't like things to be too spicy, and as the title (Snakebitten) subtly suggests, this will bite back.
    I don't keep wasabi in my kitchen so I just omit that (it's still pretty darn good).

I use this when I grill chicken breast etc too, just don't rub it down so heavily or the flavor will completely overpower the meat.

I'm telling you that if you use this, your family/guests will not stop eating the chicken so you better prepare extra. My wife and I can eat a whole 5 pound pack of chicken breasts prepped this way... its just so dang good.

ETA, don't tell anybody, but when people ask what I used on the chicken I pretend like it's some super-secret rub that I can't tell them about. So don't tell anybody... only INGO members can know this info. I hold you all within the bonds of the INGO community and trust that you too will pretend that it is a super-secret recipe that cannot be shared with any of your guests.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    here ya go.

12-13oz.-cherry preserves
    3 tbs.- pure maple syrup
    1 tbs.- white vinegar
    1tsp.- worchestershire sauce
    1tbs.- water

combine it all and warm enough to smooth it out.

Thanks Buddy!
    Peach Glaze:
    3 fresh peaches (very ripe) peeled and chopped
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1T Worcestershire sauce
    1t butter melted
    1 tsp fresh sage chopped
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    1/2 tsp black pepper freshly ground
    1 tsp olive oil

Combine all ingredients together and work with a potato masher. Apply glaze about 5min before removing pork loins from grill
    Enjoy!

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    got a smoking deal on a traeger grill today so I snatched it up. so far I'm impressed 0-600 degrees in around 10 minutes and only about a tablespoon of ashes to show for it. the only thing I need for it now is the digital temp controller.

DSC00687.jpg

the huge:rolleyes: amount of ashes left behind.

DSC00688.jpg

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Quick question:

If once the internal temp of meat reaches 140 degrees the meat stops absorbing smoke, then why not just smoke the ribs for an hour or so, then just wrap them up in foil and toss them in the oven?

I've never tried it, but I'm curious if anyone else has and if they taste the same.

I'm asking, because I'm currently smoking ribs for later tonight, but it would be great if I didn't have to go out several times to keep adding wood chunks if they aren't even necessary.

That is actually the best way to get that smoky flavor without spending all day doing it. I'll do it when I need to cook alot of meat in a hurry.
    but my favorite way to BBQ ribs is to put them in the smoker and run a heavy smoke for about an hour then toss em on the BBQ until I get em the way I want em..towards the end of the process Ill let the BBQ flame up and basically grill them for a few minutes on each side,only because I like a bit of a dry texture on top. I use a dry rub and serve with a vinegar based dip...never anything with a tomato base.

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    Thats what I bought last summer tyler a traeger. I upgraded to the digital temp gauge also. It works good but depending on the temp outside and wind it really fluctuates from what it is supposed to be at. But overall I love it

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Anybody ever boil the ribs first when in a pinch for time? I tried it once and then threw them on the grill with a little sauce and they came out VERY tender and great taste. I still do this when time is a factor but I have an old vertical freezer that I am building into a smoker to get that flavor as well.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Anybody ever boil the ribs first when in a pinch for time? I tried it once and then threw them on the grill with a little sauce and they came out VERY tender and great taste. I still do this when time is a factor but I have an old vertical freezer that I am building into a smoker to get that flavor as well.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

cardinal bbq sin numero uno. bad form:noway:

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide

Cheater Alert......Cheater Alert! Keep us up on the build

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Anybody ever boil the ribs first when in a pinch for time? I tried it once and then threw them on the grill with a little sauce and they came out VERY tender and great taste.

If pinched for time I would rather smoke them first for an hour and finish them in an oven at about 300 degrees.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Killer meal under 20min.

So the boss (wife) is out of town. I worked a 10hr day with no lunch. I was so hungry were I didn't have the attention span to make a bowl of cereal. Got home and the neighbor had his grill going. Checked the frig and had minimal scraps. A 45sec prep and two nice,cold beers later I had this.......

potsalamidogsgrilled.jpg

potsalamidogsbuilding.jpg

potsalamidogsplated.jpg

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    INGO COOKOFF!!! We need one.

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of day's. Since I'm fairly new to this state, I don't know alot of people and would love to meet some fellow Hoosires with the same interest. My in-laws own close to 100 wooded acres near Nashville. Camping,fishing and shooting are all available. I would be willing to ask them if enough people are interested, But I half to throw down some rules first just to make sure everyone agrees before I ask.

#1. No drinking and shooting. Sorry, No class 3. Shoot for as long as you like. Before that first,sweet drop touches your lips, The weapon must be locked and put away.

#2. No drinking and shooting!

#3. Pack out what you pack in. This means everything! There will be no bathrooms available. Yes #2 can be burried. Just dispose of your boom boom paper in the proper place. Try to recover as many casing as possible....Ect....Ect.

#4. Kids are more then welcome, just need to keep them on a short leash do to the woods being so dense. They can easily get lost or bring big foot home as a pet.

#5. If you decide to fish, No keepers! Unless, It's not going to survive. Then it goes on the grill.

#6. You must have a ridicules amount of fun and bring your best cooking,fishing, and shooting skills.

We have many targets set up in some really oxward position. So don't be surprised if a game of "horse" doesn't get busted out. If everyone can agree to these simple little rules, I think I can provide the location. Let me know what you all think.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Im game. Set it up and I'll be there!

I've been thinking about this for the last couple of day's. Since I'm fairly new to this state, I don't know alot of people and would love to meet some fellow Hoosires with the same interest. My in-laws own close to 100 wooded acres near Nashville. Camping,fishing and shooting are all available. I would be willing to ask them if enough people are interested, But I half to throw down some rules first just to make sure everyone agrees before I ask.

#1. No drinking and shooting. Sorry, No class 3. Shoot for as long as you like. Before that first,sweet drop touches your lips, The weapon must be locked and put away.

#2. No drinking and shooting!

#3. Pack out what you pack in. This means everything! There will be no bathrooms available. Yes #2 can be burried. Just dispose of your boom boom paper in the proper place. Try to recover as many casing as possible....Ect....Ect.

#4. Kids are more then welcome, just need to keep them on a short leash do to the woods being so dense. They can easily get lost or bring big foot home as a pet.

#5. If you decide to fish, No keepers! Unless, It's not going to survive. Then it goes on the grill.

#6. You must have a ridicules amount of fun and bring your best cooking,fishing, and shooting skills.

We have many targets set up in some really oxward position. So don't be surprised if a game of "horse" doesn't get busted out. If everyone can agree to these simple little rules, I think I can provide the location. Let me know what you all think.

Top Bottom