• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tranquil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 1, 2013
    Plainfield
    Slow start & slow finish. Saw two bucks (one 10pt and one 8) both out of range. Plenty of doe but I was hunting Atterbury ( really impressed with how small the crowd was for opening day ).. I just went out to see how they are moving as I have a hunting trip planned for Tuesday on private property.

Lots of shots, but once I was deep enough into the woods I only heard 3 or 4 shots all day. I saw 3 dead bucks, one very nice nontypical but he was caught running and the other two were bedded down in heavy brush. I think it's getting too warm! Hopefully the storm tomorrow cools things off.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Enjoyed the presence of a fluffy raccoon for a while, was investigating much around my stand.
    When I buck out I'll lay some steel down and try to convert his hide to gun fundage.

Saw one antlerless deer way off, and it went right by cuz, so he promptly blew the heart out of it. Dang thing still went 50 yards with pumper shredded.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    This was the best morning we have ever had in the woods. I shot a nice 10 pointer at 7:20. Then my brother shot a big body 6 pointer would have been 8 but 2 points were broken off. He shot his at 7:55. Then my dad took a doe at 8:35. I saw 2 bucks and 5 does from my stand all before 9 am.

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    I over slept this morning. headed out about 9 am. lost a rear u joint on the truck on the way out. got parts, got it fixed was in stand by 11. stayed out till 3. didnt see anything at all. Ive got my buck this year with my xbow. now just looking to fill the freezer. hope to end my season this week. got 2 doe tags burning a hole in my pocket.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    I believe in this instance, you most certainly are.

And your reasoning behind your assumption? I happen to have met the gentleman you are referring to and I would challenge your opinion any day of the week. People throwing random shots just to to sling some lead is the exact reason I don't hunt until ML season. There is absolutely nothing safe about firing multiple shots in a rapid fashion at a moving target. He wasn't knocking anyone or challenging the practice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Man I don't know where you guys are hunting, but I am seeing deer like crazy. Most deer I have ever seen on opening day in my LIFE!

let me guess, you were sitting in a state park, right? Those deer seem to be able to sense where its off limits to hunt. :):

Brother tagged a small 7 pointer at 7:50am this morning.

I had a doe not 20 yards in front of my blind, but buried behind a honeysuckle bush. I waited, and waited, she started to move, and then...

the resident horse raised his head VERY quickly. He stomped his front hoof just like a deer, drawing the does attention.
    The next thing I know the horse dropped his head and charged my doe!

Chased her right back into the thickets and out of sight.

Damned horse!

Reminds me of a great joke.

Every year a guy would disappear for 3 days at the start of deer season. His wife was sick of being left out and alone after several years of this.

Shortly before the season began, she snuck off when he wasnt paying attention and went and got her license. She then proceeded to go to the sporting goods store for a complete outfitting. New rifle, camo, orange, boots, the works. She hid the stuff in the back of her closet.

The night before opening day he was packing the truck like he does every year. She said "I want to go!" He said "Gee, dear. I'd love to take you but you dont have a gun, or any of the other equipment. If you had that you could go. Sorry!" She went to her closet and proceeded to lay out her stuff in front of him. He was utterly gobsmacked and had no choice but to take her.

They get to the forest and he sets her up in his tree stand. He tells her to stay there, and if there are any problems, fire three shots into the air. He then proceeds to venture off into the woods on the far side of a hill.

Fast forward several hours. He hears a shot from the direction of the tree stand. He thinks to himself "I'm sure she thinks she saw something."

A few minutes later, another shot. Then another. He starts to get concerned so he heads out toward the stand.

As he comes up over the hill he can see his wife in the stand, rifle to her shoulder. He looks down range and sees a man with his hands up.

As he gets closer he hears her yell "I SAID get away from my deer!" He then hears the man say "OK! Fine, lady. Whatever! You can have it! Its yours! Just let me get my saddle off it first!":laugh:

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    All I saw yesterday was three does who passed me by at a dead sprint. The guys on the property adjacent to me were doing some sort of redneck atv deer drive and spooked these off their property smh. Decided to pass today due to weather.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    During archery I saw more deer this year in my area than ever before in my 24 years of deer hunting. I was excited expecially because I saw more bucks than does, and a few nice ones that would have been in range for a gun. Come opening day of firearms, I saw 4 does all day long, and no bucks. Go figure! :dunno:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    been pretty dead at our place, we used to see tons of deer in the fields after dark.

Big difference this year is the number of landowners who are running deer leases. I've noticed box blinds and food plots all over the surrounding areas.

Guess I'll finally have to look into putting in a plot next year.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I was only able to hunt Saturday, took home a doe to get some meat in the freezer. Only saw 1 buck very early, in a thicket and too dark to tell how big. nose to the ground and wouldn't turn my way.

I didn't hear many shots at all. The property I hunted in the morning is the typical WWII scenario, I think I heard half a dozen shots. Only heard 3 in the evening at a different property.

My dad got a nice 12pt, field dressed @ 200lb

Nicked the back of the shoulder going in, dug this out of the skin on the other side. Thought It was a good mushroom, just started hunting firearm season with my ML last year. This is a 295 powderbelt aero tip pushed with 2 pellets.

CP0EYZn.jpg

Last edited:

jstiz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Greensburg
    Sorry saw this is late but I got my buck around 8:00 am on Saturday and took it to locker little later. After shooting the bull with them for awhile I realized there were no other deer there. I asked him if they were stacking them in another room and he said I was the first. I stayed there till about 10am and only one other deer came in!

All of my buddies out hunting saw nothing. I don't know if it was the storm front moving in or low population? I have seen plenty around my place and too many on the road.

Top Bottom