• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Trigger control--- answer--- DRY FIRE DRY FIRE DRY FIRE. Does the sight move when you break the shot? If yes DRY FIRE DRY FIRE do you get it now?

What are you doing up so late? I'm workin on guns!

We all know your right. I guess it's RESULT = EFFORT.
    Where's MY gun? My holster is here someplace.............. Ah heck, I'll dry fire at the Safe Table on Sunday. I'm guilty as charged:(

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Trigger control--- answer--- DRY FIRE DRY FIRE DRY FIRE. Does the sight move when you break the shot? If yes DRY FIRE DRY FIRE do you get it now?

See... I understand that... but we shoot while moving much of the time.

I find myself running to a spot, so that I can take a proper sight alignment, call my shots and then move to another spot. But we know that wastes time.

Part of the reason I film so much is so I can study others, and what I always notice is the good guys are ALWAYS moving. Even if it's just side-stepping or walking, they are almost never still.

I'm shoot classifiers at a "B" level, because we are standing still most of the time during classifiers. But I'm shooting way slower on field courses because of movement, not just my fatness, but because we have to be able to shoot accurately while moving.

How do you practice for that unless you are at a range where you can walk and shoot? I've actually pasted up targets around the upstairs of my place, so that I can walk around dry-firing at them while walking.

gh2

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    If it weren't for kch pushing his old man, I'd suck more than I do now!
    It's interesting to experience how roles change. A bit over a year ago I was teaching him!

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

I find myself running to a spot, so that I can take a proper sight alignment, call my shots and then move to another spot. But we know that wastes time.

Part of the reason I film so much is so I can study others, and what I always notice is the good guys are ALWAYS moving. Even if it's just side-stepping or walking, they are almost never still.

I'm shoot classifiers at a "B" level, because we are standing still most of the time during classifiers. But I'm shooting way slower on field courses because of movement, not just my fatness, but because we have to be able to shoot accurately while moving.

How do you practice for that unless you are at a range where you can walk and shoot? I've actually pasted up targets around the upstairs of my place, so that I can walk around dry-firing at them while walking.

You shoot from the waist up and move from the waist down. If you can pull the trigger without disturbing the sights standing still you can pull when moving without doing it. The trigger control is not changed. Getting your sights to be still while moving is a different skill or issue but it can be done.

Moving backward is the easiest way to shoot while moving for me and that is why I try to approach arrays that way. It plays to my strength and allows me to be moving which compresses the stage time without me shooting any faster.

I just rewatched Jake's video and I have a couple of examples of what I mean. The video is in post #70 on page number 7 of this thread.
    On stage 1 I shoot the last target or two backing out of the position, the counter time was 0:13; on stage two at 1:24 I am engaging two target backing away rather than side stepping. This keeps the sights from jumping around as much. Watch how other shoot those on the move if they do. Another example is 2:46 on stage 3, and I chose to engage the steel on the move around 2:56. I think hitting a big popper on the move is cool and a big bonus. On Stage 4 I was not the fastest time or even close as I remember but I blame the poking around I did on the reload and the last part of the stage. I shot the first part different than the rest of the squad and it was because I could be further through the stage after six shots. timer is 4:45.

Practice moving with your gun or a blue gun and watching the sights while you are doing it. There are dryfire drills to do this. Moving around the house with a full glass of water or a bottle of water with your arms extended air gunning things will help you move in stable ways. Bending the knees and rolling you feet is key.

Last edited:

sti38super

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Seymour
    Hey George a 63 year old Fart and a 65 year old Fart can't run with the young Buck's so you got to out smart them-- if that is ppossible.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)

HICKMAN, there is no but. trigger control is trigger control. it doesn't matter if you're standing still, moving, or hanging upside-down and swinging by your feet while being whipped by jake's midget slave. regardless, you have to drop the hammer w/o disturbing the sights.

I also like shooting groups as a way to improve trigger control, although the vast majority of the answer is in dryfire (time + cost drives that). With groups you get the added benefit of developing accurate shot calling with feedback from the holes. Pasters make great cheap targets for shooting groups.

As for shooting on the move, the only difference is the added challenge of keeping the gun stable, which coach addressed.

Shoot a revolver or even a Glock (with a stock trigger) for a while. After you learn to press the trigger on one of those without disturbing the alignment of the gun, shooting your STI will be significantly easier.

or a Beretta. :n00b:

-rvb

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    You know I used the oldest boys Beretta last night for some dryfire trigger practice and you were right its a little bit of a workout tring to keep that sight still. But I think its a good thing. I tried balancing my beam on top but I'm just not that smooth yet. more practice is in my future I do believe.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

Most of the top GMs prefer to be stationary when shooting. Standing and shooting is not a waste of time - taking too long to get into and out of a positions is.

There was some similar discussion on brianenos.com on this very thing. Someone quoted Max Michel or Travis Tomasie as saying that they don't shoot on the move unless it is absolutely necessary.

ETA - I don't mean to say that they don't shoot on the move - they do and they do it very well. They are, however, very judicious about when and where it is worth it. Here is a thread that hits a lot on that subject on be.com - When to stand vs shoot while moving? - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last edited:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Most of the top GMs prefer to be stationary when shooting. Standing and shooting is not a waste of time - taking too long to get into and out of a positions is.

There was some similar discussion on brianenos.com on this very thing. Someone quoted Max Michel or Travis Tomasie as saying that they don't shoot on the move unless it is absolutely necessary.

ETA - I don't mean to say that they don't shoot on the move - they do and they do it very well. They are, however, very judicious about when and where it is worth it. Here is a thread that hits a lot on that subject on be.com - When to stand vs shoot while moving? - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

your comment in bold is why people assume there is a big difference between classifiers and match shooting, when really the difference is small. "Box A to Box B" classifiers test a majority of the movement you'll need in a match... it's all about the setup and the exit.

actual shooting on the move is important... but it's both a risk v reward question, and a ballance of what you think is faster, moving slower while shooting, or shooting and scooting. Every person has to answer that for themselves (best answered on a practice range with a timer). And shooting on the move can also mean on those first or last couple steps into/outof a position.... start earning points sooner...

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    You know I used the oldest boys Beretta last night for some dryfire trigger practice and you were right its a little bit of a workout tring to keep that sight still.

Can you believe there are lunatics [masochists?] out there who actually compete with those things?

-rvb

Last edited:

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Can you believe there are lunatics out there who actually compete with those things?

Yep I think I met one at In. state match. Still makes you wonder if your moving that much when your tring not to how much are you moving it when your not thinking about it. I will definatly add it into my dryfire practices. Thanks guys for all the tips

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    A good rule of thumb on when to shoot on the move; If you are 90% sure of getting and Alpha while doing it. If not stand and shoot. The last club match at Warsaw I was fourth overall I think. Two mikes while shooting on the move. I knew both of those shots were pushing things but I went for it. One of the targets had a no shoot covering most of the lower A zone. Sometimes you just have to push it a little to know your own limitations. Shooting on the move has helped me more than hurt me in the long run.

I am not sure I agree with slow1911's comment as written but I think he right about Travis and Max not shooting on the move very often. Robbie is about as mobile as a goalpost and he does not do it much either.

If A and B have the same points and one shot on the move and one did not I know who I will bet on winning. After all you divide by the time to figure hit factor.

Top Bottom