OCing in crowded public places, thoughts/concerns?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    I think you may need to brush up on the awareness color codes. I certainly hope you aren't in orange and red when you're in large crowds. ;)

Awareness Color Codes

Ok well when it was taught to me, they had an extra level Black that mirrored the red, in your link, giving a few more degrees to the color threat description and a more scaled approach and response; so as I was taught it my statement is accurate, as it is published there, no I am not at that point however in crowds I am constantly running through these steps, so yellow and orange by that account

• You have a 360-degree peripheral awareness of such environmental danger spots as secluded doorways, entries, and alleys, as well as such psychological triggers as adrenal dump and attacker ruses. Be aware of people, vehicles, behind large objects, dark areas, etc.
    • State of threat evaluation.
    • Check to see if there is an avenue of escape, potential weapons available, and if others around you are friend or foe.

Evaluatating people near me moving to me, moving their hands to the center of mass, fidgeting with hands in their pockets, acting out of the ordinary for the crowd around them as possible threats, escape routes; because the increased risk of being in the crowd means I need to put myself mentally one step ahead to compensate for the concerns listed, and that makes things more taxing and mentally tiring. Take that yellow alertness and prioritize and key in on what is going around me until I know it's something not to be a concern to me. Large crowds present concerns that take me to a level of focus beyond an everyday alert and conscious of what is going on around me yellow.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Large crowds present concerns that take me to a level of focus beyond an everyday alert and conscious of what is going on around me yellow.

The difference between Yellow and Orange is that there is a specific identified (potential) threat in Orange. Staying in Orange is mentally exhausting and can't be maintained for long. You certainly aren't going to focus on the event or have any "fun" in Condition Orange. It would be akin to seeing several men closing distance on you (specific potential threat) and you quickly formulating a way of escape through the crowd. Once you put your plan into action you'd be in Red.

I don't mean to sidetrack the OP's discussion, but what you are describing is a heightened state of Yellow.

When some add in Black, they are indeed replacing Red as described above, and reassigning Red a value that is very narrow. I tend to think of Red together with Black.

http://www.self-defense-mind-body-spirit.com/awareness.html

Last edited:

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    The difference between Yellow and Orange is that there is a specific identified (potential) threat in Orange. Staying in Orange is mentally exhausting and can't be maintained for long. You certainly aren't going to focus on the event or have any "fun" in Condition Orange. It would be akin to seeing several men closing distance on you (specific potential threat) and you quickly formulating a way of escape through the crowd. Once you put your plan into action you'd be in Red.

I don't mean to sidetrack the OP's discussion, but what you are describing is a heightened state of Yellow.

When some add in Black, they are indeed replacing Red as described above, and reassigning it a value that is very narrow. I tend to think of Red together with Black.

States of Awareness - The Cooper Color Codes

Yeah, more yellow into orange until it's not a threat back to yellow, into orange until it's not a threat, back to yellow and so on, what ifs and mental action plans and where's my cover where's my escape, what are my hand to hand less lethal options at the momment, perhaps not a full orange, but I suppose that's what happens when I try to box up a complex running thought process into someone else's prearranged ideas; and bringing it back to the OP topic like I said it is exhausting and I don't generally enjoy crowds and doing such does detract from other experience, because I do have concerns when in crowds and prefer to avoid them, because of the effort I feel is necessary to prepare and mitigate those concerns should I chose to be in the crowd.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yeah, more yellow into orange until it's not a threat back to yellow, into orange until it's not a threat, back to yellow and so on, what ifs and mental action plans and where's my cover where's my escape, what are my hand to hand less lethal options at the momment,
    like I said it is exhausting and I don't generally enjoy crowds and doing such does detract from other experience, because I do have concerns when in crowds and prefer to avoid them, because of the effort I feel is necessary to prepare and mitigate those concerns should I chose to be in the crowd.

That I totally understand and I'm much the same way. I also do not enjoy large crowds and I avoid them if possible.

Relatively Ninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Indianapolis
    The whole crowd should be OCing. :rockwoot:
    ^^^I agree!

I don't have much to add that hasn't been said already, other than being in a large crowd while I'm OC'ing puts me on edge. The presence of large crowds are one of the few things that will make me deliberately choose to CC over OC. I usually don't give much thought to how I carry, but the thought of a large drunken crowd of troublemakers is enough to send me scurrying for my concealed holster!

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I hate large crowds to begin with. Mix in OC'ing? :faint: Not me. SA becomes nearly impossible when in a large crowd that and the fact that I am not a people person just make large crowds a big no no for me on most occasions. I kind of hate to be like that because there are times I would like to go to certain events but just cannot force myself to do it because of the crowds. :dunno:

Tin Can

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    You should try you the Justin Bieber concert ands see if they're oc friendly:)

I think it's funny that most gun shops have a no firearms policy, just sayin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You should try you the Justin Bieber concert ands see if they're oc friendly:)

I think it's funny that most gun shops have a no firearms policy, just sayin.

Uhm, no they don't. They have a "No LOADED Firearms" policy to keep yahoos from trying out a new holster with their loaded gun. Nice try though!

Top Bottom