• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    LOML and I went on our weekly garage sale hunt Saturday. Since it was such a nice day I decided to ditch the jacket and OC. I am always a little hesitant to OC at garage sales seeing that I am visiting other people’s property vs a "public" setting. While were at one sale an older couple showed up. I could hear the wife talking to the man something like "Did you see that gun he is carrying?":eek: "Maybe he could answer your question." At that time I asked the gentleman what question he might have, wherein he told me that he had just bought a pistol at an estate sale and had no idea what kind or caliber is was. :thumbsup: Since we were on the East side I directed him to Pop Guns or Beech Grove and told him that they could help him.:D

Slab

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    fort wayne
    i would be nervous about what the homeowner would think or do. at the point they see it, you are clearly on their property.
    im glad to hear you could lead him in the right direction.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Slab, I wouldn't be nervous. Nor would I be offended if asked to leave, same as I wouldn't be offended if he asked me to leave for wearing an offensive t-shirt.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Garage sales are funny things.. if it were any other Sunday afternoon there'd be no reason to be on my lawn, but once a year we haul out tables and try and sell old stuff we don't want anymore..

(well, "we" don't, not at my house, but that's because I'm in the sticks and nobody'd see it..)

I could see a little apprehension, but if someone was uneasy, they'd just ask you to leave, I'd think..

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Have OC'd at several garage sales and have never had anyone say anything about it. I have been called names for suggesting what I thought something was actually worth if that helps.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Interesting.. I haven't ever thought of this scenario. But I'm not much of a garage saler..

I'm generally an OC'er, but I'm not sure if I would or not.

I probably wouldn't OC if I were going to several garage sales, only because I'm going from personal private property to personal private property.

If it was just one or 2 places, I probably would.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Honestly, I don't OC on others personal property unless I know they are OK with it.

I still wear my holster, but I'm going to clear it with the homeowner before I bring it in their house. I would leave it in my glovebox if I was going to a yard sale.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Have OC'd at several garage sales and have never had anyone say anything about it. I have been called names for suggesting what I thought something was actually worth if that helps.

Oh that's those people who are really, Really, REALLY proud of that past purchase and need justification of their initial purchase so they will be satisfied that did'nt loose that much when it sells.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Just because noone has said anything, it doesn't mean you are perfectly ok doing this. Some people, like many garage-sale'ers, are very polite and friendly people or just need the cash. They aren't going to make a scene and ask you to leave- especially without knowing you or your state of mental health when they have loads of people on their property they essentially need to "Watch out for".

The polite thing to do would not put them on the spot or offend any of their other customers and think about CC'ing.

There's no need to OC on someone else's front lawn. That's kind of ignorant IMHO. PLEASE don't take that wrong- not ignorant as in "stupid" but more like in the true sense of the word- you just aren't thinking about or are aware of their situation and what you may be doing to them.

my .02

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    There's no need to OC on someone else's front lawn. That's kind of ignorant IMHO. PLEASE don't take that wrong- not ignorant as in "stupid" but more like in the true sense of the word- you just aren't thinking about or are aware of their situation and what you may be doing to them.

OMG, you may hurt other people's feelings and envoke their fear of inanimate objects...the horror. :chillout:

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    OR you will make ALL gun owners look just as ignorant as you seem to be...

Did you READ what I said? Are you just regurgitating the common response to people being scared of firearms?

The point is THIS- You are on someone else's property- it's not a public sidewalk or a place of business (even though they are selling garbage). You SHOULD as a responsible gun owner also be responsible enough to be considerate.

You seem to be the typical gun owner that I DO NOT WISH to look like or associate with- the type that says "F%*# the world and what they/it thinks. I'm going to do what I'm going to do".

You'd get a lot more done and do a lot more for the firearms community by following my advice I think.

You will NOT educate anyone by walking around garage sales with a gun. The ONLY thing you may do is put fear into more people. I'm not saying they SHOULD continue this foolish fear but you ought to know better by now.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yes I did and I'm glad he "lucked out" as far as the seller being interested. I'd bet 90% of the time that wouldn't happen- probably 98% of the time actually.

Just be courteous- we'll get a lot farther that way, no?

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I think it is kind of you think about these people and their garage sales, but they made an invitation to public to come onto their property as the public is (i.e. no conditions). Therefore, I will come onto their property in a legal manner as I wish and I will leave when they wish. Nothing more simple than that.

I mean no disrespect to you, but trying to always think about how we can best make everybody else happy won't do much for training others on how we want to be treated. My parents always taught me that you teach people how to treat you. I'm a little tired of trying to be so considerate of others I get beat up in the process.

Good for you and your sensitiveness to others. As for me, just let me know if we should ever meet. That way I can let you know i'm offended by your wallet and the best way to avert my offense is to give me your wallet and everything in it. That way I'll be happier and you'll have catered to my oversensitiveness. Everybody wins!

Just to be clear, I meant the previous paragraph in jest, but by catering to everybody's wishes all the time we get taken advantage of. I'd rather act in a perfectly legal manner without fear of damaging somebody's overly sensitive emotions.

Thanks,

OR you will make ALL gun owners look just as ignorant as you seem to be...

Did you READ what I said? Are you just regurgitating the common response to people being scared of firearms?

The point is THIS- You are on someone else's property- it's not a public sidewalk or a place of business (even though they are selling garbage). You SHOULD as a responsible gun owner also be responsible enough to be considerate.

You seem to be the typical gun owner that I DO NOT WISH to look like or associate with- the type that says "F%*# the world and what they/it thinks. I'm going to do what I'm going to do".

You'd get a lot more done and do a lot more for the firearms community by following my advice I think.

You will NOT educate anyone by walking around garage sales with a gun. The ONLY thing you may do is put fear into more people. I'm not saying they SHOULD continue this foolish fear but you ought to know better by now.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    I agree with you, but just keep in mind how the "sheeple" are generally stupid. You can't teach them much when they're scared out of their minds.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You SHOULD as a responsible gun owner also be responsible enough to be considerate.
    :rolleyes:
    So the premise of your argument is that it is irresponsible and inconsiderate to be so open (OC) about your status of carrying a weapon when going to a sale. You have a pre-conceived negative view of this tool called a pistol. You, because of your own fears, and the fears of what others may think, think it is wrong to allow that pistol to be shown. :dunno:

Every store or garage sale you go to is on "private property"...I'll give you a minute to digest that.
    So the poster is doing nothing illegal. The private property authority (may it be the Target store manager or the garage sale home owner) has the right to ask anyone on the private proper to leave, for most any reason. This is no different.

hoosiertriangle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Avon, IN
    True scared people don't learn much, but more importantly I've never had anybody act scared (that I could see) when saw me carrying, found out I was concealing, etc. I think that has more to do with me acting in a responsible polite way regardless of the presence of a firearm or not. Most people who carry a gun and scare people scared the same people before they knew the scarry guy was carrying a gun.

I agree with you, but just keep in mind how the "sheeple" are generally stupid. You can't teach them much when they're scared out of their minds.

Top Bottom