• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    It's not called a "concealed carry permit". Indiana doesn't issue those. We have a "License to Carry a Handgun", or LTCH.

People complain when we're pedantic about terminology (like using "clip" when they should have said "magazine"), but here is precisely the reason why we insist on the correct terms for things. This incorrect terminology has resulted in confusion for a new gun owner. There IS a difference between a CCW and an LTCH.

You will find that law enforcement will somtimes not know the laws that they are to enforce. Other times they will but preffer that you do not.

I concur with these statements

marcum man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    Bourbon
    You can do both open and concealed with the CCHP. It is not only limited to concealed. Indianas' law is set to where you can carry either way.

In Indiana there is no such thing as a cchp, its an LTCH meaning you can carry how you see fit.

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Very nice!
    This security guard knows the law and this place doesn't have silly "no gun" rules.

Even if they have a no gun rule that doesn't trump your LTCH but they can refuse to serve you. But bringing a gun in there wouldn't be illegal. But I have a feeling some law enforcement might not know that.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Even if they have a no gun rule that doesn't trump your LTCH but they can refuse to serve you. But bringing a gun in there wouldn't be illegal. But I have a feeling some law enforcement might not know that.

It may not trump the permit, but if they post a sticker at the entrance prohibiting guns, you must comply or they can call the police and have you removed. It is private property and they can ask you to "check your guns at the door" so to speak, just like in the wild west days. (at least this is how it worked in Virginia). Please correct me if this is not the case in Indiana. I could not find anything in the FAQ's section.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It may not trump the permit, but if they post a sticker at the entrance prohibiting guns, you must comply or they can call the police and have you removed. It is private property and they can ask you to "check your guns at the door" so to speak, just like in the wild west days. (at least this is how it worked in Virginia). Please correct me if this is not the case in Indiana. I could not find anything in the FAQ's section.

They can hand out prophylactics at the door and ask you to wear it on your ear. Doesn't mean you have to comply. There is no law in Indiana that you must check your firearm at the door. There is no law that says that a little sticker can deny entrance.

If you enter a private business and they do not want your firearm there they may ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave after being asked, they can call the police and charge you with trespassing. However, NOBODY has the right to take your gun from you.

Kw1P

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Mishawaka
    They can hand out prophylactics at the door and ask you to wear it on your ear. Doesn't mean you have to comply. There is no law in Indiana that you must check your firearm at the door. There is no law that says that a little sticker can deny entrance.

If you enter a private business and they do not want your firearm there they may ask you to leave. If you refuse to leave after being asked, they can call the police and charge you with trespassing. However, NOBODY has the right to take your gun from you.
    exactly.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

I understand. I put the check your gun at the door in "" to indicate a quotation, not a requirement. I meant that they can deny entrance which is why I also added, "so to speak". Sorry I was not more clear. What you said above was my intent.

Jimmy0315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    Kokomo
    I find it very entertaining to just stick my gun in the belt of my pants and walk around walmart at 3am. Some of the looks just crack me up.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I find it very entertaining to just stick my gun in the belt of my pants and walk around walmart at 3am. Some of the looks just crack me up.
    Not sure what this has to do with the OP. I also don't think this is a popular way to carry or a reason why most responsible firearm owners do carry but whatever.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal

lol wait WAT. Are you wearing sweat pants while you do it? I'm all for OC, but I'm picturing you dressing at 3am like a male hooker at Walmart with a .50ae tucked in his pants sloppily and I'm fearing gun owners everywhere...

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Had a slight problem in Shelbyville one time. I was OCing my Springfield XDM, manager came up to me, asked if I was a cop, I told her no. She asked if I was allowed to "carry that" told her that I had an IN LTCH so yes I was. She kinda acted pissy said something about, "that's a stupid law" and then walked away. My 5 year old asked me, "Why was she upset about your gun Daddy, everyone should have one!" I was SO proud of her lol.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    how do you guys open carry??? I just applied for my conceal carry permit.... but I thought it must be concealed?

reading FAQ settle down... I just took the conceal carry permit for what it is called... I just assumed you must conceal it.

THIS^^^ is EXACTLY why I always correct people when they call it a CCW in Indiana. You know what ASSuming does... I do not say it to be mean, a grammar nazi, or try to be superior in any way. It is entirely selfish. My reasoning is that the more people that think it MUST be concealed the more OCers like myself get hassled unnecessarily.

:+1: for setting the record straight guys!

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

You realize this sort of thing doesn't help the cause. Tell us you're kidding. If not, stop doing this. Its why CSM's give us a hard time when we go to buy cheap ammo or whatever and the cops hassle us.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    We should get like 40 of us together and all go to the theater OC'ing and see if they say anything, hahahah

That would be funny!

Top Bottom