• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Sorry if this is a stupid question, but, you cannot carry a firearm in to any government owned buildings such as courts, city-county buildings, BMVs, etc. I also know you cannot carry at the State Fairgrounds too.. So, is this any different?
    Evidently this IS different.

You CAN carry in state/county/town/township/etc... buildings, as long as they do not house a court.

You CAN carry at the BMV.

You CAN carry at the State Fairgrounds, just not during the State Fair.

Where are you reading that any of this is illegal?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    While in an ideal world, every LEO would know 100% of the law 100% of the time, it's just not the case.

How odd...somehow we citizens are expected to know -- and follow -- 100% of the law 100% of the time. That makes a great excuse that works every time like Harry Potter's magic wand. "Your Honor, I am sorry, I just didn't know that was against the law and for some reason the mean policeman arrested me."

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    While in an ideal world, every LEO would know 100% of the law 100% of the time, it's just not the case.

How odd...somehow we citizens are expected to know -- and follow -- 100% of the law 100% of the time. That makes a great excuse that works every time like Harry Potter's magic wand. "Your Honor, I am sorry, I just didn't know that was against the law and for some reason the mean policeman arrested me."

I so agree! Not that I don't think LEOs have a hard job, because I do think it is hard. I also believe that people are expected to know all the laws and who is around them, and what those people are doing, and so on. I feel like the LEOs should at least know a little about each area of the law. OCing, I think would be a basic. :soapbox:

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I find it interesting that in addition to leo's, there are just tons and tons of us normal "sheeple" who do not know the latest in rules. Many have never heard of sb292 or the new July 1st rules......Doing my best to educate when I can.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    If I were a bad guy, the first guy I would shoot is the obvious OC guy.

See, that's why you wouldn't make a very good bad guy. You think like a good guy. You would attack an armed man before you would attack an unarmed woman. Bad guys are opportunists, that's what makes them bad.

Regarding the OP & the original incident;

I knew some reserve officers back in the 90's. I don't want to be mean, but they were pretty much a bunch of guys that played dress up and directed traffic. I'm not saying all reserves are like them, but I suspect the one in the OP is like them.

LanceRobbins24

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    South Bend
    After sitting in front of my laptop for an extended period of time reading through 23 pages of education....I stand up and applaud the OP for what he did. :+1: I probably would have done the same exact thing saying I would leave if asked to do so. It's easy for everyone to armchair quarterback until you are in the heated situation where someone of authority and supposed extensive knowledge of the laws on the books is trying to make you feel like an idiot. I OC regularly and have not had any run ins with LE, nor am I looking to. I'm ready to handle the situation if it presents itself though. I'm not trying to make a political statement in exercising my preferred method of carry, just doing what I feel is most comfortable in the majority of situations I'm in. I spend lots of time on this forum trying to educate myself so I know when I'm in the right.....It's just frustrating when some LEO aren't clear on the basic knowledge of being able to OC in our fine state if we as licensed citizens choose to do so.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    ^^. One of the best things about threads like this, IMHO, is that it gives each of us a chance to think through it all, decide how we want to handle it if the situation is presented, plan our course of action, etc. Well, that and armchair quarterbacking.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I don't expect any police officer to know every detail of every law, but I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation for a police officer to know at least the fundmentals of any law that they're actually trying to enforce at the time. If they don't, it's essentially "because I said so and you have to do what I say."

POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    Evidently this IS different.

You CAN carry in state/county/town/township/etc... buildings, as long as they do not house a court.

You CAN carry at the BMV.

You CAN carry at the State Fairgrounds, just not during the State Fair.

Where are you reading that any of this is illegal?
    oops..... :D

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    Actually, you are incorrect. You cannot carry into a building that houses a courtroom. You may still carry at city, county, and state owned buildings including the county/city building and the BMV. Indiana Code 35-47-11.1 is the portion of the law that just went into effect on July 1, 2011 which made it illegal for any governing body to make any rule, decision, ordinance, or law concerning the owning, possession or carrying of firearms. You may even carry into a facility that has metal detectors. You still may not carry at the State Fair since that is state law, and you cannot carry on school property. Other than that, you are pretty much free to carry anywhere you like (other than Federally controlled property).

Ok, so the law went into effect on July 1, 2011, and the OP was back in November 2010. So I guess my question is, what did the law say at that time?

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Check again. The OP was 4 days ago. You're looking at his join date.

homer-simpson-doh.gif

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    AHHHHH, see, it was a stupid question! lol

No, it wasn't. Just confusion. Prior to July 1, it still may not have been illegal. It depends on whether or not there was a city ordinance against carrying on park property.

I'd rather not go to a 4H fair in November, though... :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    No, it wasn't. Just confusion. Prior to July 1, it still may not have been illegal. It depends on whether or not there was a city ordinance against carrying on park property.

I'd rather not go to a 4H fair in November, though... :D

I wish the State Fair were towards the middle of September, though!

Too stinking hot in August. :n00b: November would be nice, too, provided it's early Nov. and not late Nov.

Top Bottom