• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The problem with some gun owners is the same as the problem with some computer owners, they just don't take the time to learn. It always frustrated me when I worked computer support that people refused to learn even the most basic things about computers (changing resolution, finding multiple ways to do common things, etc). Now that I'm into guns, I find things similar in this hobby as well... :ugh:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    He said: "What did you shoot him with, a 45?"

She said: " 45, 46 whatever it takes."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The problem with some gun owners is the same as the problem with some computer owners, they just don't take the time to learn. It always frustrated me when I worked computer support that people refused to learn even the most basic things about computers (changing resolution, finding multiple ways to do common things, etc). Now that I'm into guns, I find things similar in this hobby as well... :ugh:

Every facet of life/endeavor.

Doublehelix

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    My brother who is looking for a small concealable handgun out in California asked about one at this local gun store based on my recommendations (I have one and love it). The guy behind the counter said they weren't available in California, but the closest thing that he had to was a Glock. I got a good laugh out of that! Those guns couldn't be more dissimilar. A Plastic framed striker-fired vs. an aluminum framed hammer-fired...

You didn't say what gun he had in mind.

DUH!!! Dang!!! I must be getting old!!!

He was looking for a Sig P938, a little mini 1911.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, I have been collecting and shooting firearms for about 60 years. I have numerous books on firearms, and a diverse collection ranging from many old military rifles and handgun to new Colts, Kimber and everything from black powder handguns and rifles to High power rifles. Am I an expert ~ hell no! I learn something new just about every year.

Just because someone doesn't know something we (as someone somewhat educated on firearms) believes is basic knowledge doesn't make them stupid, just ignorant of firearm knowledge. I really enjoy helping them learn, and sometimes learn something myself during the process. I become annoyed at some here that think someone that calls a "magazine' a "clip" is stupid. I was taught shooting and firearm handling by my BIL in about 1950. He referred to 45 (1911) magazines as clips. As a little background on him, he was a Sergent in WW-2, earned a Silver Star, two Bronze stars and a purple heart. He carried a 30 cal bullet between his heart and spine until his death, so feel he was not a dummy about firearms. I never felt it indicated stupidity on anyone's part by referring to a mag as a clip, as I still am guilty of doing so on occasion.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well, I have been collecting and shooting firearms for about 60 years. I have numerous books on firearms, and a diverse collection ranging from many old military rifles and handgun to new Colts, Kimber and everything from black powder handguns and rifles to High power rifles. Am I an expert ~ hell no! I learn something new just about every year.

Just because someone doesn't know something we (as someone somewhat educated on firearms) believes is basic knowledge doesn't make them stupid, just ignorant of firearm knowledge. I really enjoy helping them learn, and sometimes learn something myself during the process. I become annoyed at some here that think someone that calls a "magazine' a "clip" is stupid. I was taught shooting and firearm handling by my BIL in about 1950. He referred to 45 (1911) magazines as clips. As a little background on him, he was a Sergent in WW-2, earned a Silver Star, two Bronze stars and a purple heart. He carried a 30 cal bullet between his heart and spine until his death, so feel he was not a dummy about firearms. I never felt it indicated stupidity on anyone's part by referring to a mag as a clip, as I still am guilty of doing so on occasion.

I/we have experienced a lot of these statements/questions and unless they are just bat-poo crazy we will try and educate.

Yesterday a friend of my sons that calls me Dad (his passed years ago and I somewhat stepped up) ask me a couple of questions about entry level AR's. After a brief conversation I was confused....delay triggers, MP 380's....:dunno:

It finally came to light he was asking for a friend. He put the friend on the phone and I told him M&P 380 sounds like a hand gun not an AR (does S&W make an M&P 380???) and where did he come up with the delay trigger thing as both were and are alien to me. (I do not know everything either) and his answer was.....wait for it.....Face book. I said not the most reliable source of info. He became agitated and gave the phone back and I told my boy he needs to step away from that guy.
    Sometimes folks will not admit to a mistake when they have laid it out there.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sometimes folks will not admit to a mistake when they have laid it out there.

Yup. Testicle knowledge. Men are born knowing about cars, guns, and women. Probably bourbon and craft beer, too. They lay something untrue out and then pride won't let them back down. Many years ago I was at a 4th of July party and one guy said his truck had been running rough as he pulled in. A couple guys there were 2 real mechanics and a few others could turn a wrench to swap parts, and most were pretty sure how to get the hood open, maybe. Once the hood was popped, though, it pulled from all the ranks as men went over and peered in to offer unsolicited advise while the real mechanics looked at it. The funny part was one guy's girlfriend (who was, perhaps, a bit "liberated" by alcohol at the moment) called him out. I don't recall the exact wording, but it was basically WTF are you under that hood telling a guy to check the doohicky and you can't even change your own oil. Of course he then had to counter with an exaggerated tale of how much he knew about cars and it became readily apparent he probably couldn't change his own oil.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup. Testicle knowledge. Men are born knowing about cars, guns, and women. Probably bourbon and craft beer, too. They lay something untrue out and then pride won't let them back down. Many years ago I was at a 4th of July party and one guy said his truck had been running rough as he pulled in. A couple guys there were 2 real mechanics and a few others could turn a wrench to swap parts, and most were pretty sure how to get the hood open, maybe. Once the hood was popped, though, it pulled from all the ranks as men went over and peered in to offer unsolicited advise while the real mechanics looked at it. The funny part was one guy's girlfriend (who was, perhaps, a bit "liberated" by alcohol at the moment) called him out. I don't recall the exact wording, but it was basically WTF are you under that hood telling a guy to check the doohicky and you can't even change your own oil. Of course he then had to counter with an exaggerated tale of how much he knew about cars and it became readily apparent he probably couldn't change his own oil.

My Father had a saying that has become very popular these days.......The quite man will know everything the loud mouths think they know in a very short time.
    Listen, ask.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My Father had a saying that has become very popular these days.......The quite man will know everything the loud mouths think they know in a very short time.
    Listen, ask.

Another twist on that I learned a long time ago: The question you ask is probably the same one several other people have but will remain ignorant rather than demonstrate their ignorance.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    This is a funny read. Several years ago I worked part time in an archery shop. Now I go to trade shows to help Grim Reaper Broadheads. I thought it was only archery that had some "quality questions and statements"!! The worst was when I would go to the Indiana deer and turkey expo. The later in the day the more drunk some of the attendees got and the dumber they sounded!!

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    My favorite is when I ask if a gunshop carries an item and the employee tells me the item does not exist. Invariably, upon seeing my incredulity, they call over another employee/hangaround who they explain is current/former leo/military and they agree that such a thing has never existed.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    "No, this is what you need. It's a 357 Magnum. Sig does not make revolvers or ammo so there are none in 357."

Winchester Wal-Marx. Was trying to find ammo for my Glock33. After this conversation I started carrying a round in my pocket when looking.

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    "No, this is what you need. It's a 357 Magnum. Sig does not make revolvers or ammo so there are none in 357."

Winchester Wal-Marx. Was trying to find ammo for my Glock33. After this conversation I started carrying a round in my pocket when looking.

I have known of people who bought .357 MAG for a .357 SIG chambered gun. Come on, people!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Sorry, off topic, but these posts all remind me of when I sold my GSXR600 to some idiot kid (I assume he has since died in a fiery wreck).

He bought my bike cash, rode it to the gas station to fill it up. Then promptly called me.....irate that I sold him a broken bike. It wouldn't start. I drove 20 miles to meet him and figure out what happened. He had the kill switch flipped.

I asked him one last time "are you sure you want this bike? Are you ready for a bike this serious?" He rode off with his tail between his legs.

There's no way he hasn't wrecked the **** out of that bike by now. Too bad, it was a really nice bike.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Sorry, off topic, but these posts all remind me of when I sold my GSXR600 to some idiot kid (I assume he has since died in a fiery wreck).

He bought my bike cash, rode it to the gas station to fill it up. Then promptly called me.....irate that I sold him a broken bike. It wouldn't start. I drove 20 miles to meet him and figure out what happened. He had the kill switch flipped.

I asked him one last time "are you sure you want this bike? Are you ready for a bike this serious?" He rode off with his tail between his legs.

There's no way he hasn't wrecked the **** out of that bike by now. Too bad, it was a really nice bike.

BWAHAHAHAHAHH!! This isn't funny, not really, but on lots of levels, I couldn't help but laugh like crazy when I read this!

Had something similar happen years and years ago when I sold an old used Jetta to someone buying it for their daughter. Got a call that the car wouldn't start because the key wouldn't turn. They had pulled in with the steering wheel cocked to a "locked" position, and simply needed to slightly turn the steering wheel so the ignition key would turn.

Top Bottom