• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've lost track. Has anybody heard if the plan in the state house to do the same thing--take advantage of low gas prices to tack on a tax to fix infrastructure rather than look for places to cut costs--has advanced or not? I'm thinking I saw where it passed our republican controlled house.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    " it will be paid for by the oil companies, not directly by consumers, and would also apply to jet and train fuel."

"We recognize that oil companies would likely be pass on[STRIKE] some [/STRIKE] ALL of the cost," said White House economic adviser Jeff Zients. He declined to elaborate on how the fee would impact prices at the pump,"

These mouthpiece's for the current White House had better be making enough money to retire at the end of the year. No business owner or HR manager in their right might would hire someone known to be capable of telling such blatant lies with a straight face. They deserve to face absolute ruin along with everyone involved in crafting the BS they attempt to feed the American people. If the media had the slightest touch of credibility every press conference would end in a screaming match and people throwing shoes at the podium.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    These mouthpiece's for the current White House had better be making enough money to retire at the end of the year. No business owner or HR manager in their right might would hire someone known to be capable of telling such blatant lies with a straight face. They deserve to face absolute ruin along with everyone involved in crafting the BS they attempt to feed the American people. If the media had the slightest touch of credibility every press conference would end in a screaming match and people throwing shoes at the podium.
    Sadly there are any number of other politicians, think tanks, lobby firms, etc that will fight over themselves to hire these people.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    I've lost track. Has anybody heard if the plan in the state house to do the same thing--take advantage of low gas prices to tack on a tax to fix infrastructure rather than look for places to cut costs--has advanced or not? I'm thinking I saw where it passed our republican controlled house.

It passed the house with most of the republicans in favor of it and democrats opposing it.Indiana House OKs cigarette, gas tax hikes to pay for roads : Politics

Thank you, Republican party. I voted for Soliday. I might actually vote democrat next time.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    They have to get the price of oil higher to justify increased spending on "alternative" energy... lots of supporters of the Democrats to be paid off.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    " it will be paid for by the oil companies, not directly by consumers, and would also apply to jet and train fuel."

"We recognize that oil companies would likely be pass on[STRIKE] some [/STRIKE] ALL of the cost," said White House economic adviser Jeff Zients. He declined to elaborate on how the fee would impact prices at the pump,"

I would say 1-2 bucks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It passed the house with most of the republicans in favor of it and democrats opposing it.Indiana House OKs cigarette, gas tax hikes to pay for roads : Politics

Thank you, Republican party. I voted for Soliday. I might actually vote democrat next time.

Ok, then my recollection was correct. Now that you mention it, I remember now that it went down party lines. But let's not kid ourselves, this is a political football. The democrats are wanting an election issue to rant and rave about. No matter which way the republicans went, they were opening themselves up to criticism. If they'd done nothing, the democrats would have screamed that they don't care about mothers and their children careening off failed bridges to their deaths. Now that they did something, they open themselves up to their supporters' ire for raising taxes and the democrats will probably still contend it's not enough and republicans just want to kill people.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They have to get the price of oil higher to justify increased spending on "alternative" energy... lots of supporters of the Democrats to be paid off.

One of my favorite sayings: You have to make cheap energy expensive so that expensive energy will seem cheap.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    pudly said:
    Let us know how that works out for you.

Will do.

GodFearinGunTotin said:
    Ok, then my recollection was correct. Now that you mention it, I remember now that it went down party lines. But let's not kid ourselves, this is a political football. The democrats are wanting an election issue to rant and rave about. No matter which way the republicans went, they were opening themselves up to criticism. If they'd done nothing, the democrats would have screamed that they don't care about mothers and their children careening off failed bridges to their deaths. Now that they did something, they open themselves up to their supporters' ire for raising taxes and the democrats will probably still contend it's not enough and republicans just want to kill people.

Honestly, I get it. Politics is a game. There's going to be some give and take.

But at some point, if the republican party wants to continue to sell itself as fiscally conservative it's going to have to draw some hard lines.

We are taxed enough. No. More. Taxes.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Infrastructure repair is desperately needed but it should also be left to the states to raise/spend the funds. Sacks of money collected by Washington tend to be a lot lighter when they get handed down to the actual states for the repairs.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Will do.

But at some point, if the republican party wants to continue to sell itself as fiscally conservative it's going to have to draw some hard lines.

The bold part is so true. It is sickening to think of how much of my earnings go to pay all of the taxes that are levied by all of the different levels of government. Enough is enough

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Will do.

I'm with you on this. But democrats give a crap less about taxes. They care about creating jobs for hard working middle class *cough - unions - cough* Hoosiers. They need something other than RFRA to state their case for electing them to power.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The man simply does not like oil. If he could, in addition to disarming us he would have us all riding bicycles instead of driving cars. 349 days folks and this abomination is gone.

It's always slightly funny to me that I hate Obama for what he's actually done, Bank bailouts, Forced Private insurance bill written by insurance companies, Continued botched foreign expeditions, etc. Yet a lot of other people hate Obama for what they think he's trying to accomplish (though mysteriously somehow never does) Like gut the military, unilaterally ban guns, making us all ride bicycles etc.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    GodFearinGunTotin said:
    I'm with you on this. But democrats give a crap less about taxes. They care about creating jobs for hard working middle class *cough - unions - cough* Hoosiers. They need something other than RFRA to state their case for electing them to power.

Still, I feel like raising taxes simply should not be in the republican vocabulary at this point. There is no way I will ever be convinced that the state, federal and local governments do not take in enough money to fund the essentials. Cut what they have to cut. Get it done.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    It's always slightly funny to me that I hate Obama for what he's actually done, Bank bailouts, Forced Private insurance bill written by insurance companies, Continued botched foreign expeditions, etc. Yet a lot of other people hate Obama for what they think he's trying to accomplish (though mysteriously somehow never does) Like gut the military, unilaterally ban guns, making us all ride bicycles etc.

I can see your point, but I would say that there are some power houses standing idle thanks to his administration.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed

Embrace the power of "and".

Top Bottom