Obamacare update to my ins. policy: Premium more than doubled. Yours?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My annual premiums decreased by 31%, but my deductible increased by 620%. Yes, 620%, not 62%.

My new plan also pays 0 until the deductible is met. Not even a discount on prescriptions.

So I'm paying more, but I'm high risk. I should be paying still more. That may sounds odd, but I don't feel right about paying less than what the market would dictate because young, healthy people are being forced to pay more than they should be paying to subsidize people like me a little and subsidize some other people a lot more..

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The real shocker will hit when the employer mandate kicks in (after the delay put in until after the election). Then we'll see the real impact.

Most get their insurance from their employer. The chaos in the industry we're seeing now is from the 6-7 million getting dumped from individual policies. When the employer mandate kicks in, tens of millions will be added to the cancelled policy roles.

Cloward-Piven model ring a bell?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You're welcome.

Oh I know. I suffer from similar guilt felt by those who got great deals on Jewish real estate in 1930's Germany.

However, let's keep in mind I have been subsidizing others for 20 years. Paying the equivalent of a family of four for individual coverage was not fun. I don't like the entire ACA law but I am glad the market now competes for my business as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If the employer mandate ever does get implemented, we'll see quickly whether or not the "unintended consequences" were in fact the real plan all along.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Thank you for the offer, I'm not a machinist though.

I do want to get out of the midwest eventually. I can't take these winters, not just this one but any of them. I'm still a Floridian at heart.

I am self employed and have to buy my own insurance. Which I was fine with, I was ok with my old plan. High deductibles and OOP but low premiums and I had money invested I could easily pull out in case of needing to meet those 5k deductibles. It was a win-win.

Now my deductibles are up again and the premiums have more than doubled. It's insane.

i feel for ya brother, really do. Good luck to you.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    My wife and daughter were dropped from their policy. I could not continue my policy as they are no longer accepting out of state accounts.

I have't had insurance for 10 days. I don't qualify for any coverage on the private side and the Marketplace wouldn't give me any pricing either. Had to fill out some stupid info that they'll get back to me on. It has now been over a month.....Wife and daughter picked up some insurance to cover the gap until we get it figured out.

In the meantime I am SOL.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    I know a lot more people that this "affordable care act" has hurt than people it has helped. This thread is also proof of the trend.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OP you need to help pay for those that don't have any coverage and will not get credits for the marketplace coverage.
    We all knew this was going to happen. Those that did not have coverage before were not going to be able to afford it.
    Only way to 'help' them was by sticking it to those that pay.

My monthy rate went up $35.00 and deductable went from 2K to 4K for me, cant remember what the wife and my mini me $ but both also went up.
    And we have the EVIL Blue Cross and in 2016 we will have to pay a 40% tax on the premium. Think that was on page 207 ????

Got a source for this?
    All I can find is this
    40% Excise Tax "Cadillac" on high-end Premium Health Insurance Plans 2018
    from here:
    ObamaCare Tax: Full List of ObamaCare Taxes

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My wife and daughter were dropped from their policy. I could not continue my policy as they are no longer accepting out of state accounts.

I have't had insurance for 10 days. I don't qualify for any coverage on the private side and the Marketplace wouldn't give me any pricing either. Had to fill out some stupid info that they'll get back to me on. It has now been over a month.....Wife and daughter picked up some insurance to cover the gap until we get it figured out.

In the meantime I am SOL.

I couldn't get through the exchange either. Your best bet is to go directly to the insurance companies or one of the private exchanges.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Up $300 because of added insurance like maternity, can't believe at my age I'll need that. It's not like I'm dating women in their twenties.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Mine double. Parents? More than doubled. Coverage went way down. Sister? Can't even get obamacare because she's offered it at work. Can't afford that so she's taking the fines

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Mine stayed the same at about $1100 per month for family coverage. Deductible doubled. Oh wait, my rate didn't stay the same. My oldest went off of my plan because he is on Tricare through the ARMY. So actually I'm now paying for 3 what I did pay for 4. Worst part is that IU Health is NOT "in the network" we are in. Try going to a doctor in southern Indiana, most of central Indiana for that matter that is not in the IU Health network. All of the physicians we saw were affiliated with IU Health. Now we are forced to find all new physicians. What was that part about if you like your coverage and your doctor you can keep it?

As an employer, I can also add that the portion of employee coverage that we have to pick up went up by 40%.

Dirty Steve

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    If we had gotten an equivalent policy, our monthly cost would have gone from approx. $1600/month to $2400. We opted for a lesser policy. Our deductibles have doubled t0 $5K/yr. Our Prescriptions have nearly doubled in cost with the new policy.

DDadams

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 17, 2014
    North Indy
    We are having to drop private health care and take up a "family plan" thing through my moms work.

I'm still under the age requirement for them thankfully.

We really won't get much coverage but anything is better than nothing. Our old policy would have over doubled for less coverage.

funeralweb

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Earth/East Central I
    I am self employed and have to buy my own insurance. Which I was fine with, I was ok with my old plan. High deductibles and OOP but low premiums and I had money invested I could easily pull out in case of needing to meet those 5k deductibles. It was a win-win.

Now my deductibles are up again and the premiums have more than doubled. It's insane.

Worst part is that IU Health is NOT "in the network" we are in. Try going to a doctor in southern Indiana, most of central Indiana for that matter that is not in the IU Health network. All of the physicians we saw were affiliated with IU Health. Now we are forced to find all new physicians. What was that part about if you like your coverage and your doctor you can keep it?

As an employer, I can also add that the portion of employee coverage that we have to pick up went up by 40%. Dirty Steve

:ugh:And yet as late as last night on the SOTU we were fed another heaping helping of "If you work hard, you will succeed.". My local monopolistic hospital recently stopped accepting Anthem, and Golden Rule just sent us a "Dear Small Biz Owner/Family Man" letter saying they won't cover the IU Health network. Whatever coverage we settle on, the completion of a living will and DNR (not the hunting/fishing license/state park folks) instructions will be included in our "health" plan.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    Whats crazy is that there were many people predicting this right after it was passed, and those people were demonized and trashed. Now its happening. If the people of this country were informed and looked at other countries who did this, we would have seen it(not saying anyone on here is not informed, just saying the masses). I work in health care, i've talk with so many people everyday about this. It amazes me how many people in health care now hate obama and obamacare, and had no clue before it hit. One technologist i work with said "Thats one vote i really wish i had back." What amazes me is that as a health care worker, how in the world can you vote for obama? Obviously this guy had no clue, bought the b.s. and didnt look into it. now his eyes are opened and its too late. Sadly this is happening to many many more people, and again, its too late.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Whats crazy is that there were many people predicting this right after it was passed, and those people were demonized and trashed. Now its happening. If the people of this country were informed and looked at other countries who did this, we would have seen it(not saying anyone on here is not informed, just saying the masses). I work in health care, i've talk with so many people everyday about this. It amazes me how many people in health care now hate obama and obamacare, and had no clue before it hit. One technologist i work with said "Thats one vote i really wish i had back." What amazes me is that as a health care worker, how in the world can you vote for obama? Obviously this guy had no clue, bought the b.s. and didnt look into it. now his eyes are opened and its too late. Sadly this is happening to many many more people, and again, its too late.

The Libs will not be educated on this.
    I live near some of the country's premier medical device manufactures, by and far the largest employers in the area. Our county voted for the Dems and our representative voted for Obamacare.
    They won't listen. All we can do is beat them, like we did in firing that silly dumbass who didn't vote the interests of his constituents.

Top Bottom