• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Looks like the General Opposition Party believed me rather than you.

Seven years they've been at it. Seven years of highly unproductive effort and wasted money. The accomplishments of the GOP can be had on one finger.

ps. Don't forget to turn out the lights when you leave the building.

I don't think you'll find many stating the republicans have been winning awards lately

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    2018 GOP message:

"Give us control of Supreme Court, congress, and president, and we will repeal Obamacare!"

Wrong promise. Should have been, "Give us a willing congress, and president, and we will repeal Obamacare."

Too many Republicans represent states and districts where Obamacare is popular. East and West coast republicans are not going to repeal it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Wrong promise. Should have been, "Give us a willing congress, and president, and we will repeal Obamacare."

Too many Republicans represent states and districts where Obamacare is popular. East and West coast republicans are not going to repeal it.
    Republican voters who LIKE "Obamacare"? I was told they didn't exist.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Completely. But, obviously, were not saying that there isn't a sizable amount of Republicans using Obamacare, right?
    We're constraining the Republicans to Republicans who have Obamacare and like it. I think that's a much smaller group. Plus, you're assigning a single trait to a diverse group. Not all Republicans are fiscal conservatives. Not all Republicans share the principles of those who don't believe Obamacare is a horrible solution to healthcare. Saying Republicans as a group are hypocrites ignores the individual diversity of the party.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    [FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/RyanAFournier/status/913156363802615808

Trying to think of a more free-market, conservative policy enacted in my lifetime, and coming up short. [/FONT]

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Not everyone in Republican held districts are Relublicans. Is that not obvious?
    Well, if only Dems like it and they are the minority then the elected Republicans would not care about keeping it. Are you saying that there are enough Dems wh vote Republican but don't want them voting party lines?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    We're constraining the Republicans to Republicans who have Obamacare and like it. I think that's a much smaller group. Plus, you're assigning a single trait to a diverse group. Not all Republicans are fiscal conservatives. Not all Republicans share the principles of those who don't believe Obamacare is a horrible solution to healthcare. Saying Republicans as a group are hypocrites ignores the individual diversity of the party.
    The Republican Party is a total mess.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, if only Dems like it and they are the minority then the elected Republicans would not care about keeping it. Are you saying that there are enough Dems wh vote Republican but don't want them voting party lines?
    I was thinking more along the lines of competitive districts in which a Republican currently holds the seat.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The Republican Party is a total mess.
    Well yeah. They are. Democrats are no less ****ed up.

So we done sucking up the facile claims of Democrats calling Republicans hypocrites about Obamacare? It's more complicated than a witty meme.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes

I was. From the CNN article you lifted the graphic from:

It took about 2 minutes. They count a person as a Republican on Obamacare if they merely live in a congressional district represented by A Republican, same for the Democrat count.

Not anywhere near sufficiently granular, not scientific, not even honest

Nice post!

Of course there are more "republican" districts. Another by product of demoncrats loosing their asses in elections.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you are going to criticize some Republicans, or people presumed to be Republicans by virtue of being in a Republican-represented district, then you must also account for the extent to which they either have no alternatives available or else were priced out of what they had before and preferred by the ACA.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If you are going to criticize some Republicans, or people presumed to be Republicans by virtue of being in a Republican-represented district, then you must also account for the extent to which they either have no alternatives available or else were priced out of what they had before and preferred by the ACA.

No, I really don't don't think you do. There were plenty of people besides democrats, that were uninsured prior to ACA, that eagerly signed up for Obamacare. I was reading an article the other day about a place that is almost completely Republican, that people voted for Trump, because we he said he was going to "Fix Obamacare," they took that to mean that he would make it better for them (i.e. more benefits) than it already offers.
    For people who didn't have, and wanted, insurance prior to ACA, and that's hardly unique to Democrats, the vast majority welcomed ACA.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area

Methinks you've missed the point.

Republicans wouldn't act to pass repeal because some of their constituents would be affected. You can talk about districts all you want. The senate DOES NOT HAVE DISTRICTS.

They have states. Many of the senators on both sides of the aisle deal with slim margins of victory. An issue which motivates voters to go to the polls is generally a problem for incumbents.

Can you do the math now, or are we still going to talk about the validity and non-scientific sampling of an article that might indicate an issue republican senators would be concerned about?

In addition, you can blame Obamacare all you want, but we spend about 17% of GDP on health care. I don't remember the pre-Obama statistic, but it was significant. In general, our health care costs twice as much as countries providing universal health care. So, while it is possible to associate Obamacare with some of the cost increases, absent Obamacare, the medical costs in this country continue to rise at above average rates for highly developed countries and we don't necessarily see above average benefits for those expenditures.

Blame Obamacare all you want. But recognize that it is only one part of the increase in costs.

Top Bottom