• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Vox Asked for Obamacare 'Success' Stories to Push Liberal Agenda. It Backfired Magnificently! » Louder With Crowder
    Vox Asked for Obamacare ‘Success’ Stories to Push Liberal Agenda. It Backfired Magnificently!

Vox
    @voxdotcom Tell us how the Affordable Care Act has impacted your life: http://bit.ly/2lNcVFG pic.twitter.com/KCrh4v03mt

Follow

mncahill @mncahill

@voxdotcom my family premium went from $789 a month w/1k ded. to $1929 w/8k ded. In 3 years. We also lost several key doctors.
    5:16 PM - 15 Feb 2017

Vox
    @voxdotcom Tell us how the Affordable Care Act has impacted your life: http://bit.ly/2lNcVFG pic.twitter.com/KCrh4v03mt

Follow

Adam Prenger @idrawrobots

@voxdotcom I have given several thousands of dollars to a company and a service that I have never used.
    5:04 PM - 15 Feb 2017

Vox

Follow

ClemsonGrl @liberty_grl

@voxdotcom the hospital I work for is freezing raises because insufficient reimbursement for services rendered. The ACA needs to go.
    6:49 AM - 16 Feb 2017

Alexis In NH @AlexisinNH We lost our insurance and I became a Republican as a result. https://twitter.com/voxdotcom/status/831846780711092224 …
    5:00 PM - 15 Feb 2017

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some responses on the Crowder Facebook page

Gabriella Pesic i am Canadian and I can say this is pretty close (the video about Canada health). Our "free" healthcare is only free if you are healthy. We are very, very heavily taxed. About 65% of our family income is taxed (property, income, sales, health, carbon etc)

Debbie Mitchell I just heard about a double ear infection costing $600 under Canada's free healthcare....JOKE WAKE UP AMERICA

Gabriella Pesic Debbie Mitchell Doctors visits and hospital visits are included in our healthcare. If you need medicine and you don't have benefits through work, then you pay heavily. I broke my leg this past summer and tore my ACL and MCL and I paid for physio for 5 months (about $3000. A knee brace that cost $2000 and crutches $80) I haven't heard of a double ear infection costing $600 but I live in Ontario and perhaps other provinces charge more. I don't know for sure.

Gabriella Pesic Debbie Mitchell My MRI was covered but I had to wait 2 months and my 45 minute surgery was covered. It was day surgery and it was in and out of the hospital. I was home about an hour after my operation.

Michael James Obama care is a joke. They say 20 million covered. What a lie. I have a single friend who pays $100 per month and $240 payed by the taxpayers. The deductible is almost $7000 per year which he cannot afford which means he has no coverage. The $340 per month is going down the drain. What a cluster f*ck.

Amy Denton Clark Yeaaaahhhh we went from low deductibles and 80% coverage on pretty much all services to now $3800/person or $6800/family deductibles and hardly anything covered... Thanks Obama.

Lacey Canipe Soooooo in my case, before obama care, I worked part time BUT COULD pick up extra hours and even make overtime in the busy Christmas season, if I chose to, BEFORE OBAMA CARE, but as soon as it passed you were only allowed 28.9 hours a week period, and the company would fire you if you worked over 29 hours a week, because they didn't want to pay for health care benefits. And I already had full coverage thru my husband's employer!!! OBAMA CARE hurts middle class in So many ways.
    1f622.png

Sarah Sales Let's see....I was paying $1200 a month for 2 people. My 3 kids didn't "qualify" and I was told to see if they qualified for CHIP. They didn't and it took 7 months to get denied. So finally my 2 youngest were insured but my 19 yr old couldn't be placed on our plan. Our deductible was $6k!! For a yearly income of $50k we paid almost $15k in insurance premiums. Now because the rates have gone sky high we are paying $1500 a month with a $13k deductible.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm hearing a lot of pretty smart talking heads are not happy with this newly proposed government plan.

The fact that it's a government plan is a turnoff for me. Let's get the govt out of healthcare period.

Sadly, the two things that are "committed" holdovers from Obamacare are just not fiscally responsible for "affordable care." We cannot afford pre-existing health conditions nor 26 year old "children" on their parents plans.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm hearing a lot of pretty smart talking heads are not happy with this newly proposed government plan.

The fact that it's a government plan is a turnoff for me. Let's get the govt out of healthcare period.

Sadly, the two things that are "committed" holdovers from Obamacare are just not fiscally responsible for "affordable care." We cannot afford pre-existing health conditions nor 26 year old "children" on their parents plans.
    Don't Medicare/Medicaid cover pre-existing conditions? Genuinely, I don't know. (I'm not THAT old yet.) I see the best answer as an extension of those programs to cover people who can't work (rather than SSI-disability, frankly).

From what I understand, big insurance is more worried about twenty-somethings year olds not being insured. That age group generally isn't as sick as older people, so the premiums are a profit center for the insurance companies. Charging the parents higher premiums while not paying for care for the kids is good business for them.

Having said that, the more we can get the gov't out of health care AND insurance (the two things are separate and distinct) the better off we will be.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Medicare/Medicaid cover everything, but Medicare has soooo many limits it's disgusting.

oh, you only spent 36 hours in a hospital and did not spend two midnights? That's outpatient! You pay for all medications out of pocket :rofl:

people pay pay into a system for decades then they find out how badly it sucks when they finally get on it.

your estate should get yours and your employer's premiums back if you die before going on Medicare.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Nevermind that this "replacement," should just be a "repeal"......but did I hear right that the GOP replacement for ACA takes the penalty, and instead of paying it to the govt, it's paid to the insurance companies? WTFrack.

Is this what draining the swamp looks like?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nevermind that this "replacement," should just be a "repeal"......but did I hear right that the GOP replacement for ACA takes the penalty, and instead of paying it to the govt, it's paid to the insurance companies? WTFrack.

Is this what draining the swamp looks like?
    No, this is what jelly-spined republicans look like. When your president states he wants to make sure everyone is covered, this is probably the best we can hope for.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Medicare/Medicaid cover everything, but Medicare has soooo many limits it's disgusting.

oh, you only spent 36 hours in a hospital and did not spend two midnights? That's outpatient! You pay for all medications out of pocket :rofl:

people pay pay into a system for decades then they find out how badly it sucks when they finally get on it.

your estate should get yours and your employer's premiums back if you die before going on Medicare.

How true...

Your father in law has pneumonia, but it's not bad (translation - Medicare wanted him out of the hospital). Two days later, he was back in the hospital on a ventilator and never recovered.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Medicare needs to get the pre-existing illness folks for the next ten years while the president crafts an incentive program for private insurance companies to move them away from govt care. The government needs to be out of our healthcare other than oversight and minor regulation.

We need to repeal Obamacare, no govt replacement.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    How true...

Your father in law has pneumonia, but it's not bad (translation - Medicare wanted him out of the hospital). Two days later, he was back in the hospital on a ventilator and never recovered.
    That would mean a penalty.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I was afraid that this kind of crap was going to happen!:xmad:

The elected republicans are cowards, almost all of them. They need to simply repeal the ACA as of some date a few years in the future, that way insurance companies, businesses, and individuals citizens can have a few years to plan for the return to normal. But OH NO! They have to think that because the liberal idiots did something big they have have to as well. That just makes them conservative idiots.

Then they want to keep the mandate for preexisting conditions in place, because, well... that is nice and they would be mean if they don't. But then they don't want to force people to buy the insurance. Look I agree with the second part 100%, but the problem is that if you force the insurance industry to take on massive losses (ie. people with preexisting conditions) then you need to balance that in some way, otherwise the system will collapse.

This is like people not having home owners insurance but being allowed to buy a policy a day after the house burns down and forcing the insurance company to pay for it. Does the word "stupid" fit in this thought process?

If we're going to force insurance companies to cover people with preexisting conditions I could discuss a thought like this:

#1) Insurance companies cannot refuse anyone under the age of 28;
    #2) IF a person under 28 has a preexisting condition the company may charge them more, up to 20%, on their premium, but still covers them;
    Note: Actuarial s would have to discuss this ^^^ a bit, I'm just giving a start off point.
    #3) AFTER someone turns 29 then the insurance companies are free to decline someone coverage based upon a preexisting condition;
    #4) Should someone have a claim after the age of 28 then;
    A) Hospitals are NOT required to engage in heroic measures to save that persons life, and;
    B) IF they DO, then the hospital must put that on their books AFTER calculating their costs - in other words, the hospitals may not pass heroic costs onto the insurance industry and/or individual persons;
    #5) If a person does not have coverage and they suffer a loss then they become 100% liable for all costs of the treatment and may not declare medical bankruptcy until they are truly penniless;
    #6) If a person does not have coverage and they suffer a loss then they and their children are automatically disqualified from any government assistance of any kind, no matter what!
    #7) Someone who needs constant medical care, like a coma patient, who isn't dying, would need special rules, possibly tax breaks for the insurance companies, limits on coverage, etc. (I don't know, but this burden is massive)
    #8) There would need to be some time to phase this in, not too short or too long. Perhaps over a decade for folks to get comfortable to the idea that individual responsibility will be coming.

Basically, all of the above is designed for me to compromise on allowing preexisting conditions - TO A POINT. However, it also puts massive pressure on people to get coverage so that they are not facing financial ruin. The threat doesn't come externally from the government taxing/fining them. Rather it comes internally, from the fear of ruination by failing to be personally responsible. It would give them an out to a certain age, but after that it is on them to step up or possibly be stepped on.

On the other side of the coin we would have to force the free market onto the health care industry by compelling health care providers to publish their costs on everything. Then, force insurance companies to pay for any treatment a policy holder finds cheaper somewhere else AND pay the policy holder the difference. The government would incentivize this by saying that any monies made by the policy holder are tax free and do not jeopardize and government assistance. In this way the insurance company neither wins nor loses, the policy holder wins by shopping, and the health care provider loses huge by failing to offer competitive costs. So say that I need a new hip and my local hospital is going to charge, for everything, after the negotiated price, $75k. If I go online and find a surgical center in Oklahoma that will do it for $15k, then the insurance company pays $15k to the health care provider, and I get to keep $60k in pure profit for that year. I win, the insurance company neither wins nor loses (they were out $75k no matter what), and the local hospital loses my business. I guess they'll learn to compete like every other business or die on the vine of free market capitalism. That is a threat they do not face today.

To finally get back on point the problem now is that the republicans are going to argue among themselves and either do nothing OR just slightly water down the current ACA because they are afraid of making some people mad. They voted a helluva lot to repeal it when there was no hope of success, but with success now in hand the cowards can't have one vote, just one? Cowards!

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom