• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I this whole ACA thing, is yet another reason why I don't trust the GOP. ACA should be gone. Not repeal and replace, but repeal and forget. If they replace Obamacare, how is the replacement NOT "new Obamacare?" The Democrats have been been trying to get some form of govt healthcare for years, and Obama finally did it. If it's not going away, what has the GOP accomplished?

Healthcare was a problem before Obamacare, so at best, just repealing it would only bring us back to the level of "broke" we had. To make it a market system there's a whole lot more than just Obamacare that needs undone.

I hope that when they say "repeal and replace", they mean what I mean. But I fear it's just gonna be [STRIKE]Obama[/STRIKE]Trumpcare.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Healthcare was a problem before Obamacare, so at best, just repealing it would only bring us back to the level of "broke" we had. To make it a market system there's a whole lot more than just Obamacare that needs undone.

I hope that when they say "repeal and replace", they mean what I mean. But I fear it's just gonna be [STRIKE]Obama[/STRIKE]Trumpcare.

At least one of the plans being floated would allow interstate commerce for the health/medical insurance companies. That alone would make a huge difference.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Regardless if they REPEAL, or REPLACE, they will be blamed for every single thing that happens.

In fact, I predict if they repeal, then replace it with the EXACT SAME THING, Hollywood would go after them anyway.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Obamacare.vote_zpsk3p7ndzp.jpg
    The "Unaffordable" Care Act will soon be history!

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Repeal and REFORM. Our just repeal, repeal, repeal. Not just Obamacare but all the other a federal laws screwing up the market.

ATM, paging ATM... You're wanted on the white courtesy phone...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    All I know is that pre-"Affordable" Care Act, I was paying around $850-900 a month to cover my family of 6. Now I pay $1,500-1,600. You can imagine my reaction to the internet adds touting $20 to $75 per month premiums for health insurance.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Admittedly, we got the ACA because Republicans refused to put forth and support a more market-oriented alternative. Hopefully they have learned a lesson.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    All I know is that pre-"Affordable" Care Act, I was paying around $850-900 a month to cover my family of 6. Now I pay $1,500-1,600. You can imagine my reaction to the internet adds touting $20 to $75 per month premiums for health insurance.

YOU'RE WELCOME!

Admittedly, we got the ACA because Republicans refused to put forth and support a more market-oriented alternative. Hopefully they have learned a lesson.

One of the MAJOR republican problems, is they don't seem to understand the necessity of, or the ability to explain.
    All you ever hear, is how Conservatives/Republicans want people to die.
    And no one ever states, that their position might help.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The healthcare debate has been going on a long time, but at least back to the Clinton administration the spotlight has been on it. The system had problems pre-ACA, no doubt, but what we needed was to fix the problems, not a wholesale federal takeover of healthcare.

However, the perfect is often the enemy of the better. Within the party, the focus was on beating back Hillary's healthcare. Mission accomplished....but then no real effort to come up with a better solution to keep the issue from rising again. The along come Obama and with years to work on something, the GOP proposed nothing that the majority of the party could support. There were various proposals, but some argued they were not market oriented enough or they would only support something with tort reform, or they would only support wholesale de-regulation. So what we ended up with was no alternative to the horrible- ACA. The GOP factions stuck to their guns...and got outgunned because if it wasn't exactly what they wanted, they wouldn't support it. Congratulations, we got what none of you wanted.

Anyone notice how when the ACA was proposed, the Dems got behind it 100% even if it wasn't really what many wanted (single payer)? They supported the ACA because it was a step on the path to their ultimate goal.

It seems like the GOP often will attack each other if legislation is not 100% what they want. They have never learned incrementalism or loyalty, for that matter.

As Kirk is fond of saying, liberal politics is a close order drill. The GOP could stand to learn a thing or two.

Again, hopefully they have learned a lesson.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

YOU'RE WELCOME!

That's not how I remember it. We got the ACA because Obama and his band of merry progressives wanted a stepping stone to single payor. And they pulled parliamentary tricks to get it done. It wouldn't have mattered if Republicans did put forth a market-oriented alternative. That's not what the dems, who controlled all three branches of government (I'm pointing at you John Roberts), wanted.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That's not how I remember it. We got the ACA because Obama and his band of merry progressives wanted a stepping stone to single payor. And they pulled parliamentary tricks to get it done. It wouldn't have mattered if Republicans did put forth a market-oriented alternative. That's not what the dems, who controlled all three branches of government (I'm pointing at you John Roberts), wanted.

The GOP had about 15 years before that happened to do something...anything, and they failed.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The GOP had about 15 years before that happened to do something...anything, and they failed.
    Not that I want to defend chamber o' commerce Republicans. They were pretty hapless. But when during that time would they have enough controll over government to get that done? Clinton's wanted single payer. And some of the basis of Obamacare is a Republican wet dream. I just don't see them passing a comprehensive market driven healthcare bill.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why. It did make premiums worse. I'm not implying it. I'm stating it.

I think you understand there's a difference between "worse than they were," and "worse than they would've been." Unless of course you think if the program didn't exist, the rates would have not changed. lol.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I think you understand there's a difference between "worse than they were," and "worse than they would've been." Unless of course you think if the program didn't exist, the rates would have not changed. lol.

Do you even realize how much they went up?
    Hint... it wasn't 5%.
    Mine family went from around $480.00 to over $1300.00....
    You are telling me that cost of inflation would have tripled my premium within a year without obamacare?

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Profit motivation does not necessarily drive research into diseases pari passu. Diseases, and citizens in these groups, are neglected. Perhaps that is OK with some, but an industry that can spend over $3 billion on erectile dysfunction might not have the ideal priority for society at large, free market notwithstanding.

If you are concerned about diseases that are neglected, feel free to donate to the appropriate charity and encourage others to do so. That is the appropriate and moral way to help people. Stealing money from others is not.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If you are concerned about diseases that are neglected, feel free to donate to the appropriate charity and encourage others to do so. That is the appropriate and moral way to help people. Stealing money from others is not.

Please don't contribute at all to our society, Steve. I'd be glad to write a letter to Trump or whoever asking that you be exempt from all responsibilities as a citizen yet retain all the benefits incumbent thereto.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Please don't contribute at all to our society, Steve. I'd be glad to write a letter to Trump or whoever asking that you be exempt from all responsibilities as a citizen yet retain all the benefits incumbent thereto.

Please feel free to assert your moral superiority by stealing money from other people to fund things that make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

Top Bottom