Obama to propose two free years of community college for students.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    It might be worth noting that Germany offers free college tuition to everyone, even foreign students accepted at their universities. Everyone is well paid and their economy is doing quite well. Two years of community college is nothing. You might be able to get technical accreditation in a field, which would be useful, and if credits are transferable you'd get two years of college credit out of the way towards a bachelors degree, but two years is nothing, really. I wish there was a way to do it without saddling the taxpayers or accruing a lifetime of debt. Sadly, it's a system we've let get out of control and it DOES need reining in. This is just pandering to the base, for Obama. It won't go anywhere, with republicans in control of the house and senate.

Curious: What is Germany's tax rate and how is this actually paid for? TANSTAAFL.

Blessings,
    Bill

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I would be okay with this if they made one change: the benefits only applied to those going into science, technology, engineering, or math based fields. I do not want my tax payer money going to pay for schooling for art history, philosophy, or other hippy BS degrees that will contribute nothing towards economic growth.

As well, I don't think you should out right be given the money. It should start as a loan. If you don't graduate or your GPA drops below the minimum, you have to repay the loan. The day you graduate with an eligible degree is when the loan is forgiven.

I could also get behind raising the GPA requirements from C+ to a B.

I would prefer that it be a reimbursement system. The student is responsible for coming up with the initial cost (demonstrating their willingness to pursue an education) and would only be reimbursed for the number of credit hours passed with a B grade or higher. The reimbursed money would then be used to pay for the next semester, etc.. I also agree with the requirement that the course of study should have real-world applications as you indicated.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    Everyone having a degree minimizes the value of holding a degree. It's kind of like having a million dollars, if you printed off a million dollars for everyone the value of a million substantially decreases. So, what would we have actually gained from such an initiative? Not to sound pessimistic, but this is one of a long line of really stupid ideas from this administration. And that's before even considering the financial cost.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Curious: What is Germany's tax rate and how is this actually paid for? TANSTAAFL.

Blessings,
    Bill

Their tax rate looks similar to ours, a bit higher perhaps, depending on how much you make.
    Income tax in European countries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Income tax in Germany for employees | Finance | Tax | Expatica Germany

Any higher amount is subject to income tax. Income tax is progressive, starting at 18.9 percent and rising incrementally to 42 percent, or for very high incomes, 45 percent. The top tax rate of 42 percent applies to taxable income above EUR 52,882 (married tax table: EUR 105,763).

The government (taxpayers) pay for the tuition. I do have to wonder what the return on investment will be for them in the future.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    theo4.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Students would have to keep a C+ or higher???

What a freaking joke. My company throws resumes with those kinds of grades strait in the garbage.

If I were forced to pay for someone to go to college, they need to study harder and have more respect for my forced contribution than to get C+'s.

But that won't happen. These days, everyone gets a trophy! Everyone goes to college! (Doesn't matter if they are college material or not)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The Regime is floating bogus ideas for the sole purpose of controversy and distraction.

The proposal isn't going anywhere, obviously, but it keeps activists occupied --- and not doing what is more important and effective.

When you realize this, you see that the administration is successful even when most people believe it is failing.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Everyone having a degree minimizes the value of holding a degree. It's kind of like having a million dollars, if you printed off a million dollars for everyone the value of a million substantially decreases. So, what would we have actually gained from such an initiative? Not to sound pessimistic, but this is one of a long line of really stupid ideas from this administration. And that's before even considering the financial cost.
    The gain is our increased competiveness in the global market. Individual financial gains will be minimal due to the increased workers with degrees, but increased training of any kind should decrease the flow of jobs overseas. At this point, it is just one option to keep this country's head above water.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Look for the Administration to propose pandering populism at every opportunity so that can make any opposition look like meanies. Yeah, it's that childish.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The gain is our increased competiveness in the global market. Individual financial gains will be minimal due to the increased workers with degrees, but increased training of any kind should decrease the flow of jobs overseas. At this point, it is just one option to keep this country's head above water.

You are equating earning a degree with actually possessing an enhanced skill set. I do not see the correlation.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    You are equating earning a degree with actually possessing an enhanced skill set. I do not see the correlation.

No, I am not equating a degree and a skill. I am equating a degree with attaining fundamental knowledge to apply in the attainment of a skill.

You are equating earning a degree with actually attaining fundamental knowledge. I do not see the correlation.

(especially a 2.3 GPA degree)

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    You are equating earning a degree with actually attaining fundamental knowledge. I do not see the correlation.

(especially a 2.3 GPA degree)
    As an employer if I need an employee with the skill set of an engineer to create a process for manufacturing my products, I have two options
    1. Train any Sue, Tom, Dick, or Harry internally beginning with fundamental math and sciences and the advanced math and science applicable to my need. Then applying that knowledge to attain the skill of developing the manufacturing process.
    2. Hiring a degreed individual with the above fundamental and advanced math and science they will need to attain the skill of developing the process.
    Option 1 is far more time consuming and costly with unknown probability of success.
    Option 2 has a higher probability of success with a rigorous hiring process.

True, with the higher education institutions pumping out diplomas left and right the fundamental knowledge level varies greatly, hence the need for a rigorous hiring process.

Top Bottom