Obama to propose two free years of community college for students.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    It will be carved from our paychecks, just like Obamacare.

Unfortunately I know that to be true, but I'd rather see my tax dollars going to some kid that will have to work to keep a C+ average, and leave school with a marketable skill, than going to free healthcare for deadbeats, and ebt cards for baby's momma's.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Certainly will enrich the education/industrial complex, somebody has to pay for those 300K speaking fees, exclusive water and assorted delicacies.

I find it sad that over my lifetime how much leadership in this country has degraded the value of a high school diploma. It's constantly beat in to people now that if you don't have a degree, you're nothing. What's worse is that the same leadership has made the decisions to dumb down government run education.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Do they still offer you two mandatory conscription years in their military or a public service role too?

It might be worth noting that Germany offers free college tuition to everyone, even foreign students accepted at their universities. Everyone is well paid and their economy is doing quite well. Two years of community college is nothing. You might be able to get technical accreditation in a field, which would be useful, and if credits are transferable you'd get two years of college credit out of the way towards a bachelors degree, but two years is nothing, really. I wish there was a way to do it without saddling the taxpayers or accruing a lifetime of debt. Sadly, it's a system we've let get out of control and it DOES need reining in. This is just pandering to the base, for Obama. It won't go anywhere, with republicans in control of the house and senate.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Anecdote:

I took a macroeconomics class at a community college in the summer of 1988, between my junior and senior years of high school. The professor was a communist.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I have said for years the reason that they "fixed" the student loan system and federalized it was to jack up the rates. This has led to ungodly student loan debts at rates up to 10%. kids are graduating from college with $100,000 in loans at 10%.

The reason for this program is to get kids terrified of not being able to pay back their loans. Then They search around for federal repayment programs and they signed up for them in order to get out from the student loan debt. It is the new indentured servant of the 21st-century.

I have said that in 2016 the Democrats will use student loan debt as a platform to get the youth vote out. And... Here it is in its first wave.

Ugh...yup.

orangeITguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2014
    The Heart
    Me being an Obama hater I agree with most of you, but i also think its a good idea. Hell if it passes i would take advantage of it and get another degree but it, still would not convince me to vote for the dems.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Certainly will enrich the education/industrial complex, somebody has to pay for those 300K speaking fees, exclusive water and assorted delicacies.

I find it sad that over my lifetime how much leadership in this country has degraded the value of a high school diploma. It's constantly beat in to people now that if you don't have a degree, you're nothing. What's worse is that the same leadership has made the decisions to dumb down government run education.
    The education regime WILL be the true beneficiaries of this. All the money will continue to flow into their coffers, it would just come from a new source. Having a GPA attached to the funding will also likely lead to grade inflation, too. They'll not want to flunk anyone, just to keep the funding coming. California already has a community college for everyone plan in effect and they currently have a waiting list of over 140,000 applicants and no slots.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    The pay for instructors at most CC's is nothing compared to 4 year universities. CC's typically only higher adjunct instructiors (with experience, bachelors or masters degree, but very few doctorates. My daughter is the dept head of a CC with 2 masters and a doctorate. She makes less than 45k.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    The pay for instructors at most CC's is nothing compared to 4 year universities. CC's typically only higher adjunct instructiors (with experience, bachelors or masters degree, but very few doctorates. My daughter is the dept head of a CC with 2 masters and a doctorate. She makes less than 45k.

Why does she stay there? I'm sure she could easily move to a better position.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The pay for instructors at most CC's is nothing compared to 4 year universities.

When I was teaching a Tax Accounting class as an adjunct professor I barely made minimum wage after considering my prep time, teaching time, administrative time. This was with industry experience, a CPA and a Masters degree. Oddly enough, the tuition for the class was not reduced compared to one taught by a tenured faculty member. My class was a huge cash cow for the university.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Don't know. But it wouldn't apply to the foreign students or women, anyway. I thought they had done away with the mandatory service and went to all volunteer.

They sort of suspended mandatory service in 2011, but it can be revived at any time.

In Germany, they don't offer a free education to all. They offer an education to those who qualify, and that is far from everyone.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If you like your degree you can keep your degree

​What I want to know is;
    1. Who pays for this, and how
    2. What does it mean "free for everybody who is willing to work for it."
    3. Will this plan help increase the number of Americans with highly sought after skills?

Perhaps someone more familiar with the US education system can assist, but are there any degrees that can be completed in two years?

I would much rather government support be used for loan forgiveness programs, or additional financial assistance for highly sought after degrees that we need to keep issuing visas for workers for.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Government interference in higher education is one of the primary reasons for the incredible college tuition inflation rates. More interference isn't going to lower prices.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN

​What I want to know is;
    1. Who pays for this, and how
    2. What does it mean "free for everybody who is willing to work for it."
    3. Will this plan help increase the number of Americans with highly sought after skills?
    1. You pay for it. Don't care how, that is your problem.
    2. Free for everybody except you and your kind.
    3. Why do you hate America?

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It might be worth noting that Germany offers free college tuition to everyone, even foreign students accepted at their universities. Everyone is well paid and their economy is doing quite well. Two years of community college is nothing. You might be able to get technical accreditation in a field, which would be useful, and if credits are transferable you'd get two years of college credit out of the way towards a bachelors degree, but two years is nothing, really. I wish there was a way to do it without saddling the taxpayers or accruing a lifetime of debt. Sadly, it's a system we've let get out of control and it DOES need reining in. This is just pandering to the base, for Obama. It won't go anywhere, with republicans in control of the house and senate.
    Not to get too off topic but speaking of German education. LEO's in Germany attend the academy for 2 years. Training/education is very important to them. It was an American that reformed their law enforcement post WWII setting up the 2 year training. Something he tried to get done here in the US but was laughed at. I think it's a great idea.

Top Bottom