• ...and so much more!
  • Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I need some advice.

What is the potential problem with loading a cartridge (in this case, .44 Magnum) shorter than the OAL?

For example, the data I have in my two manuals gives the OAL of 1.610 and for whatever reason (going to figure it out tonight) I CANNOT for the life of me get my seating die to seat any longer than 1.587.

Is the given spec of 1.610 a MAXIMUM length perhaps? Or is it EXACTLY what the cartridge must be? Neither manual specifically state that this length is the maximum or ideal or whatever.

I've only loaded .38 SPL's to this point and had no problem with them and not sure why I'm having this issue.

Thanks for reading!

Cam

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I know that seating deeper can increase pressure. Also, you should be able to screw your seating die farther out of the press and adjust the lock ring to allow much more adjustment than you're getting.

Hope this helps

parson

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    The 1.610 is the max overall length for a 44 mag. Your load data for bullet size and powder choice should give you minimum overall length for that load (sometimes with larger bullets, that is the same).

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Just a thought but are you using 44 Special only dies? It would make a difference

I'm using the Lee 44 Special/44 Magnum dies. I had thought about this, but I think bottom line is that the bullets are too big in diameter to fit. Spec on the die is .429-.431" and these measure at .432"

I backed the seating die out to just seat the bullet and set up the FCD in another press to crimp.

Thanks for the replies!

Top Bottom