Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Is there any concern about what I posted or are we just concerned with how many will be in attendance? If we as a group are not concerned with the policy of the establishment this will be held at please remove me from the attendance list and please do NOT pm me any further invites to such events. I am far more worried about supporting an Anti establishment then I am about "Meet & Eat".

Thanks.
    Mike

Sorry if this comes out mean or "hammer like" that is not my intent but alas this is in written form.

1) This post is in the events thread and you know that the MODs do NOT like discussions in here that deviate from the actual event.

2) If you have a concern with TGI Friday's please use the "feeler thread" to talk about it. (Go here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._and_eat_-_1st_one_for_2011_-_vote_4_day.html) I did NOT lock it for that reason. Only comments on this one should be "Yes going, No not going, Maybe, questions about how to get there, how do I know you you are, etc..."

3) As it stands right now it's 7 for Santiago, 5 for TGI and 1 for others (with no suggestion!) :rolleyes:. So TGI is not in the lead (yet).

4) In the feeler thread I asked for recommendation and only got 2.

5) MY concern as organizer is ensuring we have a good head count and the place can take us in. As you know some of the members drive from the far reaches of NWI to get to these events.

6) Lastly I know I can't please everyone and this year I won't even attempt to try it. If you do not wish to get any further PMs please just remove yourself from the NWI social group. It takes me 37 separate PMs to spam the entire group (5 @ a time) so I go into "robot" mode when I do the copy, paste, send for these events. Some can attest that they had already posted they would be coming and still got a PM about the event. :D

+1 for Lake country

The Meet & Eats are attempted quarterly and it's one in LAKE then PORTER then back to LAKE. The last one was in LAKE (5 Guy Burgers) so this one is thus in PORTER. This helps ensure the membership does not always have to drive far from their home.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    FWIW, I won't go to most Mexican restaurants, especially the Americanized type that load down their food with sour cream or cheese. So if its Mexican food then I'm probably out. I'm not a fan of places like TGI Fridays but I'd probably go to one of those.

Personally I'd prefer to keep my money local. So a locally owned restaurant like Schoops, Miner Dunn, The Viking Chili Bowl, etc would keep the profits in the local community rather than sending them off to a corporate office.

JMO

JollyTrooper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FWIW, I won't go to most Mexican restaurants, especially the Americanized type that load down their food with sour cream or cheese. So if its Mexican food then I'm probably out. I'm not a fan of places like TGI Fridays but I'd probably go to one of those.

Personally I'd prefer to keep my money local. So a locally owned restaurant like Schoops, Miner Dunn, The Viking Chili Bowl, etc would keep the profits in the local community rather than sending them off to a corporate office.

JMO

Just to clarify...this is not a chain restaurant (Santiago's). It is family owned and run and all of their menu selections are prepared and served by the owners.

Methinks you have not had Mexican food outside of Mexico that is as good as Santiago's, and I have tried Mexican food all over the country. They are very authentic. You should try it at least once. you won't be disappointed.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just to clarify...this is not a chain restaurant (Santiago's). It is family owned and run and all of their menu selections are prepared and served by the owners.

Methinks you have not had Mexican food outside of Mexico that is as good as Santiago's, and I have tried Mexican food all over the country. They are very authentic. You should try it at least once. you won't be disappointed.
    OK, there is a Santiagos chain, so if this is not that one that is fine.

But if this is a so-called Mexican restaurant that serves up cheese/sour cream laden food then its not similar to the authentic Mexican food that I've eaten in the little neighborhood joints in Chicago where little to no English is spoke or in Juarez where I used to frequent. I've eaten goat stew with real Mexicans, dined on too many homemade specialities to ever consider Taco Salad authentic.

And from looking at the menu they posted on the internet I'd have to seriously question their 'authenticity' as they have things like "Chicken Ceasar Salad" on their menu??? LINK => Santiago's Mexican Restaurant Porter Indiana 46304

Sorry this doesn't look like Mexican food that I know:
    food.jpg

JollyTrooper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    OK, there is a Santiagos chain, so if this is not that one that is fine.

But if this is a so-called Mexican restaurant that serves up cheese/sour cream laden food then its not similar to the authentic Mexican food that I've eaten in the little neighborhood joints in Chicago where little to no English is spoke or in Juarez where I used to frequent. I've eaten goat stew with real Mexicans, dined on too many homemade specialities to ever consider Taco Salad authentic.

And from looking at the menu they posted on the internet I'd have to seriously question their 'authenticity' as they have things like "Chicken Ceasar Salad" on their menu??? LINK => Santiago's Mexican Restaurant Porter Indiana 46304

I didn't know there was a chain by the same name...thanks for the info.

As far as the Chicken Caesar and Taco Salad...I dunno (I'm with you on that). Maybe they are pandering to a NW Indiana population. :D

Try the Enchiladas Poblanos. Best Mole I have ever had, if you like Mole.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

As far as the Chicken Caesar and Taco Salad...I dunno (I'm with you on that). Maybe they are pandering to a NW Indiana population. :D

Try the Enchiladas Poblanos. Best Mole I have ever had, if you like Mole.

Websites can be deceiving. JollyTrooper I take it you have gone. Answer me this. Does the cook speak Spanish and are they brown? If yes then that website might be just a "front" like the Fiesta Palace Banquet Hall. Northwest Indiana Reception and Banquet Center one in East Chicago for the restaurant in the Harbor. The restaurant is a small mom & pop hole in the wall but has some real good food that only my grandma can beat. :D

Melensdad I understand your concern you could vote for a write-in you know?

Clif45 you went this weekend what say you? Did you like it? Not like it? Did they have the rice water (Aqua de Orchada) in the kool-aid looking containers (mechanical mixers) or in big glass jugs?

My, my we are starting of with so much fun in 2011. ;)
    It's gonna be an existing year for sure!:ingo:
    Nite all & keep voting and whomever did the write-in what is the location?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008

Try the Enchiladas Poblanos.
    Isn't that typically a cheese/sour cream dish? That is exactly what I won't eat. Its too Americanized. If I'm eating Mexican food I want the type I used to get when I walked back streets of Juarez and stopped in the little shops.

This is the closest I can find in the midwest, and the food is amazing:
    Zaragoza Restaurant - Google Maps
    Birrieria Zaragoza - Archer Heights - Chicago, IL

BY THE WAY, the only meat this place only serves Birria, and if you don't know what that is then you may not want to go there, but the Birria is grown right here in NW Indiana.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Do they sell tortas at this place?
    The menu on the website is limited and very broad? :dunno:
    In any case if this is what the group votes in well I'll be there.
    Either way I can at least try it as say "yummy" or "heck no won't come here again" =)
    Mind you its "far" so probably would never go again anyway. LOL!

JollyTrooper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Websites can be deceiving. JollyTrooper I take it you have gone. Answer me this. Does the cook speak Spanish and are they brown?

Yes and yes. I have been several times, and it is the only Mexican restaurant in NWI I can stomach. I drive from Valpo to Porter every time. It's worth the drive, IMHO.

Do they sell tortas at this place?

Honestly, I do not remember.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Melensdad I understand your concern you could vote for a write-in you know?
    Sadly I know of no good Mexican restaurants in NW Indiana. El Taco Real used to be very good, maybe it still is.

Over in Chicago Heights I really love Mariscos La Laguna. Their octopus is the best I've had north of the border. The only 'gringos' I've ever seen in that place are when I look at my reflection in the mirror behind the bar and see me and my family. If you like authentic Mexican seafood this is your spot => Mariscos La Laguna - Chicago Heights, IL

JollyTrooper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Isn't that typically a cheese/sour cream dish? That is exactly what I won't eat. Its too Americanized. If I'm eating Mexican food I want the type I used to get when I walked back streets of Juarez and stopped in the little shops.

This is the closest I can find in the midwest, and the food is amazing:
    Zaragoza Restaurant - Google Maps
    Birrieria Zaragoza - Archer Heights - Chicago, IL

I was shocked at how little sour cream they gave me, but that's ok because I prefer guacamole and salsa (I could drink their salsa from a glass). I don't recall any cheese on the dish at all. I can only comment on the Enchiladas I usually get.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Clif45 you went this weekend what say you? Did you like it? Not like it? Did they have the rice water (Aqua de Orchada) in the kool-aid looking containers (mechanical mixers) or in big glass jugs?

Yes. Yes I enjoyed it very much. The food was good, service was alright, prices fair. I did not get to look around very much as we were seated in the smaller room to the side and not much was visible from where we were. I also did not get a look for orchata.

Melensdad, I am afraid you may not like this establishment. Although I had to ask for cheese for my tacos, they are still a chain catering to porter county. Locally there are not many good choices for decent mexican food. Compared to the others it was quite tasty and in line in prices. I would not say that they are as Americanized as many, but it is more "authentic" then many places around here. Still, if you have the opportunity give it a shot. I did and I can see driving out there when I am in the mood for some good food.

If it is chosen and the food really sucks, at least we joined together as a group and had some fun. Whether we are shooting, eating, or seeing someone at walmart there is always good conversation and plenty of laughs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom