NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The lack of electricians is astounding. Everyday it seems at least 1 electrician calls off at the job site I've been on for 2 weeks, and it puts them critically behind. They are flying people in from other states just to have enough people to get the jobs done.

It is seriously putting my team behind in a big way. This client is gonna end up paying an extra 20k to have us come back next week. Thank god I have an excellent project manager who is quite the bulldog. Every time they try and pin a holdup on my team, my project manager shuts them down with a timeline of events down to the half hour.

I feel kinda bad for this other company, they are hiring men and women right out of high school trades classes to run cable, and they still can't keep up with the work.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The lack of electricians is astounding. Everyday it seems at least 1 electrician calls off at the job site I've been on for 2 weeks, and it puts them critically behind. They are flying people in from other states just to have enough people to get the jobs done.

It is seriously putting my team behind in a big way. This client is gonna end up paying an extra 20k to have us come back next week. Thank god I have an excellent project manager who is quite the bulldog. Every time they try and pin a holdup on my team, my project manager shuts them down with a timeline of events down to the half hour.

I feel kinda bad for this other company, they are hiring men and women right out of high school trades classes to run cable, and they still can't keep up with the work.

Everybody was supposed to go to college and work in an office.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Did you mean " work from home"?

The mill had training classes for folks who wanted to test into the various apprenticeship programs. The woman tutoring these folks asked why the classes were so popular. When she was told what the craft people in the mill made she applied and got a job as a mechanic apprentice. Made more at entry level than teaching wad paying. This was 1978.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I asked my neighbor (laborer) what trade would be the best for my son if interested. Without batting an eye he said electrician. Some physical things required, but you can pick and choose jobs because of demand.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    There was a smaller crew of 3 lady electricians. All they did was run network cable and electrical wire. They didn't hook them up. I was asking them and they all made at least $34 an hour with no degree's. One of them was not even 21. I should have done that instead of go to college.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Did you mean " work from home"?

The mill had training classes for folks who wanted to test into the various apprenticeship programs. The woman tutoring these folks asked why the classes were so popular. When she was told what the craft people in the mill made she applied and got a job as a mechanic apprentice. Made more at entry level than teaching wad paying. This was 1978.

Those jobs looked down on... people still gotta work them.
    And if no one wants to work them... you gotta raise the pay to make them stay.

When we finally got around to having new hires go through a week or two of safety... most of the class would disappear. Between a drug test, and learning the horrors of amputation, electrocution, crushing, falls, etc. They'd run away.
    But those jobs still gotta be filled.

Need bodies to fill the machines.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There was a smaller crew of 3 lady electricians. All they did was run network cable and electrical wire. They didn't hook them up. I was asking them and they all made at least $34 an hour with no degree's. One of them was not even 21. I should have done that instead of go to college.

They were probably better at it than me.
    And I'd get paid more.

Course, I only made less than a dozen network cables if I remember.
    So, if you don't do something, it takes awhile.

If that's all they do, they're probably knocking them out.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I asked my neighbor (laborer) what trade would be the best for my son if interested. Without batting an eye he said electrician. Some physical things required, but you can pick and choose jobs because of demand.
    Electrician is pretty good.

Hard to predict jobs. Because people will rush to fill job vacancies.
    When I was in high school, they were telling everyone to become a computer programmer.
    Then there was a GLUT on computer programming, and pay dropped.

But, there's always houses being built.. or repaired.
    Factories.
    Shops.

Electrical Stations.
    etc.

It's good.
    But will he like it.

I hated the mill. But I liked the work I did. It was just the environment.
    But, it was a calculation to achieve a goal.
    I gritted my teeth for 30 years.
    Had good days to. But I liked the work.
    But when I retired, I smiled more in the first month than I did in 30 years.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    They were probably better at it than me.
    And I'd get paid more.

Course, I only made less than a dozen network cables if I remember.
    So, if you don't do something, it takes awhile.

If that's all they do, they're probably knocking them out.
    Oh they did. They ram 5 switched absolutely full of cable from walls to the termination in the rack. They were on overtime by the end of Wednesday. I bet those young ladies make around $100,000 a year after overtime.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Oh they did. They ram 5 switched absolutely full of cable from walls to the termination in the rack. They were on overtime by the end of Wednesday. I bet those young ladies make around $100,000 a year after overtime.
    The termination crews make even more. They sit in the closet just doing terminations all day and night while listening to music. They also have the "easy job" of certifying each run for the GC.

But it's the fiber crew termination crew that makes the most and they come in for about 1 hour and then off they go.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The termination crews make even more. They sit in the closet just doing terminations all day and night while listening to music. They also have the "easy job" of certifying each run for the GC.

But it's the fiber crew termination crew that makes the most and they come in for about 1 hour and then off they go.
    Don't I know it. But there is so much money to be had as an electrician. Like where were the guidance counselors telling us about that career back when I was in high school...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Don't I know it. But there is so much money to be had as an electrician. Like where were the guidance counselors telling us about that career back when I was in high school...

Like I said before.
    They were telling everyone to go to college and get an office job.

When I said I was going into the Navy, I was told only people that went into the military, were people that couldn't get jobs, and psychopaths.

I came real close that day to having them call my Mom and Dad.
    I had to grit my teeth real hard.

Top Bottom