• Status
    Not open for further replies.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    How bad is East Chicago for someone like me? I've volunteered to help out at a soup kitchen run by the church or possibly just delivering food up there from Munster.

Am I going to be killed to death?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    How bad is East Chicago for someone like me? I've volunteered to help out at a soup kitchen run by the church or possibly just delivering food up there from Munster.

Hum.. how can someone be "killed to death"? :dunno: Unless you are going to be killed and then turn into a zombie. :) & since you come from the UK and that is where Zombie Wars (i think that is what it is called) is based on some infection that was only in the UK is from perhaps thus you make the distinction. :D

Now as for your question.
    Where is the church in EC?
    What time are you going to be there?

EC can be bad but then again so can everywhere else. However you still stick out a bit more since you are "young white". EC is primarly black & brown (latinos) and has an older (senior polish) white population in some parts. So to see a "young white" man in EC is not common. That is NOT to say that it is dangerous just not that common.

The south side of EC (not the harbor) is a bit more safe compared to the north side. Yes I know this probably means nothing to you since you are not sure how EC is divided. I'll have to dig up a map and draw on it for you in order to show you want I mean. But if you can provided the location/address of where you are going I can tell you the level of danger and where to stay out for sure. There are two section 8 housing units (ie. government funded housing for lower income = drug & gangs) that are no-mans land for anyone of any color but those that live there period!

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Haha, well 28 Days Later was made there as was Shaun of the Dead :P

I'm not sure yet where the place I volunteered for is at. I'll try and get some info from them and get back to you.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN

Yeah, you'll likely die. Use this as a reference so you at least know who's killing you while it happens.

Street Gang Signs and Symbols

I know the streets, and they know me. I could come with to keep you safe, but I don't work for free. You'll have to help me shave my legs and maybe help me brew a batch of hooch in my toilet tank.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Yeah, you'll likely die. Use this as a reference so you at least know who's killing you while it happens.

Yeah I'm so dead.

I know the streets, and they know me. I could come with to keep you safe, but I don't work for free. You'll have to help me shave my legs and maybe help me brew a batch of hooch in my toilet tank.

You owe me a new keyboard, douche :xmad: I just spat lemon and ginger tea with honey all over it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

East Chicago is run by 2 main gangs from that link:

Gangster Disciples (Black & Blue colors) and Latin Kings (Gold & Blue colors).

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yeah I'm so dead.

You owe me a new keyboard, douche :xmad: I just spat lemon and ginger tea with honey all over it.

bromance.jpg

just saying... :D

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    Does anyone here know where I can take a couple of heavy leather jackets to get zippers replaced? I've been looking, but can't seem to find anywhere.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Is anyone here a welder? I need to cut out the rusted floor pans in my jeep and replace them with sheet metal.

I am not a welder by trade but I dabble in it. I really don't have the time to help but I have a portable welder you are welcome to use if you want to try.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    W 145th and US20/Indianapolis is the approximate area.

The Good Shepherd Episcopal Church.

Here you go an overview of EC.
    ec.jpg

The solid black box is the "EC" side of East Chicago.
    The railroad tracks (north of Chicago Ave (312) where Veteran's Park is at) is the divider between the 2 major gangs in the town. The further north and/or south of the tracks you go the less gang activity you see but the entire area has gangs.

To the east (Up is NORTH on that image) of the black box from Chicago Ave (312) and north to the lake is what is called "The Harbor". YOU DO NOT WANT TO GO THERE AT NIGHT BEING THE COLOR YOU ARE.

South of Chicago Ave (312) and EAST of Kennedy Ave is "Honky Town".

South of US-90 (toll road) is Roxanna which is reatively safe and quiet most of the time. The majority of EC politicians and EC city workers with connections live in that area. It's a mix of latinos and white with a few blacks. A large EC police presence is located there as there is a sub-police station in the area.

The Hospital over on the Harbor side is also relatively safe again due to the main police station + jail being located near it. In addition the homes around the hospital where back in the day the most expensive, nicest in the city. The houses are still very well maintained by a mixed population & since the high school is on the other side of town (EC side) there is not a huge level of "youth activity" during the day.

Now there are 2 areas that ANYONE READING THIS DOES NOT MATTER WHAT COLOR YOU ARE that you should avoid at all cost NO MATTER WHAT TIME OF DAY PERIOD!

The first is South of Chicago Ave (312) and East of Railroad Ave and WEST of 150sth street on the map above. It's a gated sub-division just north of the river. I circled it as Section 8 and DO NOT ENTER. This is the most dangerous place for an outsider in East Chicago. The area is composted of all Section 8 houses (ie. low incoming, government housing) and has drug, gang, crime, and murder issues. Unless you live there DO NOT ENTER THERE PERIOD!!! LET ME REPEAT THAT IN ALL CAPS. DO NOT GO THERE FOR ANY REASON. EVEN THE EAST CHICAGO POLICE DO NOT ENTER THAT AREA UNLESS 2+ SQUAD CARS GO TOGETHER.

The other bad area which was notorius back in the days is just south of Cline Ave (912) in the upper corner of the Harbor. Gutterie Street
    http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...code_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAA

& north of it to Cline ave was/is the original Section 8 housing for East Chicago. Back in it's "prime" you could find many a lady of the night, the man with the "magic beans", and other sinful pleasures on this street. The corner of Gutterie and Michigan was very famous for all the vices. :)

The area ha since been tamed to an extend with a lot of the old housing throw down with new construction but alas the people are still the name. It's the #2 hot spot in terms of crime/drugs for the city. Note you don't have a gang issues (per say) as much as you have a crime issue. The reason being that this area is all under control by one gang where as on the EC side you have 2 gangs going at it for control of the city and the railroad has been the long standing "terrirorial disupte line".

Again you do not want to go up to Gutterie street area.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom