Not open for further replies.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Huh... Interesting.

I told one of my work buddies who lives in Beecher but spends most of his time (and works obviously) in Indiana that he can get his LTCH. He was surprised but said he didn't really feel like carrying a gun.

I shrugged and said: "why not?".

He's not anti gun either. I guess different strokes.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    To all you who shoot a lot of .223/5.56 in here, I've got a question. I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of 5.56 before the next Meet-N-Shoot, but I need some advice, as I've never bought any ammo in "bulk" before.

Is $400 out the door for 1k rounds of Lake City XM193 on stripper clips a good, standard, or bad deal? I know CTD sells 840 rounds of XM193 for around $320 before shipping, but they also comes in a spam can, include some bandoliers, and a few other "goodies" so I wasn't sure how that price would compare to the deal for 1k rounds. :dunno:

Thoughts?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I always break it down to cost per round. Your LC XM193 comes out to $0.40/round ... the CTD cost for XM193 is $0.38/round. Wally World price for .223 Federal is currently $0.39/round.

Now you have to figure in taxes, shipping, and the "goodies" as well as the type of ammo you want ... .223 vs. 5.56 ... Lake City vs. Federal, etc.

To the original question ... strictly based on price, you are average with the 1K ... I think.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Is $400 out the door for 1k rounds of Lake City XM193 on stripper clips a good, standard, or bad deal? I know CTD sells 840 rounds of XM193 for around $320 before shipping, but they also comes in a spam can, include some bandoliers, and a few other "goodies" so I wasn't sure how that price would compare to the deal for 1k rounds. :dunno:

Thoughts?

NEVER EVER buy from the shysters at CTD. CTD has a long well established history of screwing gun owners by jacking up prices. I consider them unethical and bad for the gun community, preying on the unsuspecting and ignorant.

Neither of those are particularly good deals. I just checked AMMOMAN.com (its one of several that I check for prices) and they have Federal for $399/1000, PMC at $369/1000, Wolf steel case at $259/1000. Those are DELIVERED prices.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I always break it down to cost per round. Your LC XM193 comes out to $0.40/round ... the CTD cost for XM193 is $0.38/round. Wally World price for .223 Federal is currently $0.39/round.

Now you have to figure in taxes, shipping, and the "goodies" as well as the type of ammo you want ... .223 vs. 5.56 ... Lake City vs. Federal, etc.

To the original question ... strictly based on price, you are average with the 1K ... I think.

If I did my math right, it would cost me roughly $425 for 1k of Federal .223 from Walmart. So I would be saving $25 going with the XM193. Anyone know the quality comparison between Walmart's Federal and XM193? I've never tried the XM193's, but I've always had good results with the Federal.

NEVER EVER buy from the shysters at CTD. CTD has a long well established history of screwing gun owners by jacking up prices. I consider them unethical and bad for the gun community, preying on the unsuspecting and ignorant.

Neither of those are particularly good deals. I just checked AMMOMAN.com (its one of several that I check for prices) and they have Federal for $399/1000, PMC at $369/1000, Wolf steel case at $259/1000. Those are DELIVERED prices.

Don't worry. I wasn't ever planning on ordering from CTD, just using them as a quick price comparison. ;)

In your opinion, how do Federal and PMC compare to XM193 in terms of quality? If the XM193's are only $1 more than Federal, I'd be willing to give them a try if it's good ammo.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    In your opinion, how do Federal and PMC compare to XM193 in terms of quality? If the XM193's are only $1 more than Federal, I'd be willing to give them a try if it's good ammo.

In my opinion, if the ammo is practice/range ammo then you should skip both and buy the cheapest steel case stuff you can find, buy a lot of it, and shoot it.

If you are planning to store the ammo for some sort of SHTF scenario where you want a 1000 or more rounds safely tucked away then I'd opt for a brass cased ammo.

Honestly, all the factory stuff is good enough for SHTF and all of it is overkill for practice shooting. The ONLY time that I won't use a steel case round is in a target grade long range rifle. But other than that, cheap ammo lets you shoot more. More shooting practice leads to better skills. Better skills equals more effective use of the weapon. There is no service grade weapon on this planet that I would not use steel case ammo in and I currently don't own a 223/5.56 rifle that has a target grade chamber/barrel so every one of my 223/5.56 guns is fair game for steel case cheap ammo.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Both have been good to me (Federal and LC XM193). Just keep in mind that the XM193 is 5.56 and loaded accordingly (that means harder primer and a little hotter).

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    In my opinion, if the ammo is practice/range ammo then you should skip both and buy the cheapest steel case stuff you can find, buy a lot of it, and shoot it.

If you are planning to store the ammo for some sort of SHTF scenario where you want a 1000 or more rounds safely tucked away then I'd opt for a brass cased ammo.

Honestly, all the factory stuff is good enough for SHTF and all of it is overkill for practice shooting. The ONLY time that I won't use a steel case round is in a target grade long range rifle. But other than that, cheap ammo lets you shoot more. More shooting practice leads to better skills. Better skills equals more effective use of the weapon.

Valid point. I think my main reason for always buying brass cased ammo is that I remember reading something about steel cased ammo being "dirtier". Is that true, or a load of bull? If it's true, I am wiling to pay extra for brass cased ammo because cleaning my AR is already enough of a PITA without using "dirty" ammo. :):

I really like the part of your post that I bolded. Definitely makes a lot of sense. I just need to get myself out of the "I CAN'T PUT THAT KIND OF CRAP THROUGH MY BABY!!!" mindset and just shoot the living s*** out of her! :):

P.s. - I forgot to ask. What's the average shipping time when ordering from the site you suggested?

Last edited:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009

Honestly, all the factory stuff is good enough for SHTF and all of it is overkill for practice shooting. The ONLY time that I won't use a steel case round is in a target grade long range rifle. But other than that, cheap ammo lets you shoot more. More shooting practice leads to better skills. Better skills equals more effective use of the weapon. There is no service grade weapon on this planet that I would not use steel case ammo in and I currently don't own a 223/5.56 rifle that has a target grade chamber/barrel so every one of my 223/5.56 guns is fair game for steel case cheap ammo.

You scared me there for a second. The first time through, I thought you said you only use steel case ammo in a target rifle. Whew! I wouldn't dream of putting that stuff in my .223 Wylde chamber.

I guess it's different strokes for different folks. I hear what you are saying and actually agree about the steel case stuff (it can be used and increases practice) but I still can't get my mind over that hump. Hard use steel on steel contact in my chambers, extractors, bolt face, etc. ... just can't do it. My stuff is built for war but I will not abuse it when I can avoid it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Is steel case dirtier? No. Cheap ammo is generally dirtier. Some cheap ammo is steel cased, some is brass cased. The 'dirtier' aspect is the type of powder used.

Should dirty powder deter you from buying a brand of ammo? No. At least not if you clean your guns periodically.

Is steel case ammo harder on your gun? Marginally yes. We are talking about mild steel and it is harder than brass or aluminum. It is simultaneously softer than a hardened bolt and a hardened chamber. If you think it will destroy your gun then go look at an AK47 where steel case is far more commonly used and show me where those break. Or show me examples where AR15s can be proven to have broken (extractor?) specifically because of steel ammo. I can't find any real definitive proof.

JMO, but backed up with fact, leaving out emotion.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My last bulk purchase was from freedom munitions. 1k rounds of their "Blaster training ammunition" delivered for $291.54. I've shot about 100 rounds of it without issue, wheras with the American Eagle stuff I bought I have 2-3 no fires every magazine.
    <!07>223 Rem 55 gr. FMJ - B it looks like their prices went up a little in the last month.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    Is steel case dirtier? No. Cheap ammo is generally dirtier. Some cheap ammo is steel cased, some is brass cased. The 'dirtier' aspect is the type of powder used.

Should dirty powder deter you from buying a brand of ammo? No. At least not if you clean your guns periodically.

Is steel case ammo harder on your gun? Marginally yes. We are talking about mild steel and it is harder than brass or aluminum. It is simultaneously softer than a hardened bolt and a hardened chamber. If you think it will destroy your gun then go look at an AK47 where steel case is far more commonly used and show me where those break. Or show me examples where AR15s can be proven to have broken (extractor?) specifically because of steel ammo. I can't find any real definitive proof.

JMO, but backed up with fact, leaving out emotion.

Valid points all around. I'm definitely going to have to give some steel ammo a look. I do clean my guns regularly. (usually after every time I shoot) But boy do I hate cleaning my AR! :): So much fun to shoot, but such a PITA to give a solid cleaning!;)

Also, if you didn't see my edit in my above post, what kind of shipping times does the site you linked generally have?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Notice the bucket lift is on a tow truck, prolly not terribly unsafe, but not genius

:lmfao:

He is up in the bucket with no safety gear, with a lift on the flat bed that wasn't even chained down. Even the guy working with him was taking a picture.:):

ahhh so where was this pic taken? South of US-30 or NORTH? Also was the operator "brown"?

-Jedi

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom