• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I would love to try Sand Burr but I can't afford the gas or time for what is supposed to be a half day of shooting. :(

Agreed, but SOOOOOOOO far. I don't mind Kingbury at all. Some (most) of the fools that show up to the DNR ranges need a strong hand. I'd rather get yelled at then shot.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    If npccc had at least a 200yrd range, I would be there so fast.

I didn't know you needed a sponsor, I thought it was just service hours.

What we need is a Gunbunnies' Ranch

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    didn't know you needed to be sponsored. bummer. living in valpo that would be so nice. i've heard (not sure how legit this is) that members can do about whatever they want there... run 'n gun, rapid fire, etc. that would solve all my problems too and when factoring how much i pay to get in at blythes and the gas to drive to jp or kings i might as well just pay the membership there. they do require a certain amount of "working" the events each year and that could be a conflict with my work schedule

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Still not that far for the distances your already driving to go shooting...

I looked at NPCCC but besides the hours you have to put in, they also seem to have matches like every weekend during the summer and I don't normally play the games.... I like to shoot, test loads, etc... not shoot a course once or twice and call it a day....

I do look forward to getting a firing range on my own property in the soon future but it will have to wait a bit longer to find the GB ranch in the Arizona desert...

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    WD, you could always make the weekend of it... The wife and I have done it a couple times in the past, going to the meet and shoot at Winamac on a saturday and staying the night at the cabins in Tippecanoe State Park with a run to Rochester in the morning after breakfast for some steel... Sitting around the fire under the stars and getting to shoot both days is awesome...

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    From personal experience if you go to NPCCC and shoot a match or two and get to talking, about any member will sponsor you. Along with a few that are on the forums there are a lot of pretty cool guys out there.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Ok...since folks are talking about NPCCC (North Porter County Conservation Club) I guess that is my cue to join the conversation.

Yes you need a sponser to join the club. There are a few other requirements such as volunteer hours and being an NRA member, etc

Yes they have matches just about every weekend during the week. MOST matches are on Sundays And are normally over by 1-2pm Saturdays are normally open to members til about 4pm when they set up for the matches the next day, however I have NEVER had a problem shooting even then. The only thing that is asked is that you do not shoot up the targets and props set up for the match. NORMALLY there is only one match per weekend so there is an open day either satuday or sunday, normally it's saturday morning and sunday afternoon.

Yes they allow more freedom than a public range such as movement and drawing from a holster. There are a few rules, but to be honest I think they are more common sense like no .50BMG since the backstops are not designed for it.

Yes there are 3 new bays in the process of being created. They are not totally finished at this time (need work on the backstops and side berms) Once they are done we will have 6 bays aprox. 45 yards long and one 100 yd bay along with the trap range.

Yes as far as getting a sponsor it's really not that hard. Just come out to help set up matches (which you need to do to get your volunteer hours anyway) and you will meet members that would have no problem sponsoring you.

OK, I think I've answered most if not all the questions so far. If I've missed any please feel free to send me a PM, or just ask on here. I'll try to answer them as best as I can, or point you in the correct direction.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Ericwp, Sand Burr is 10 dollars for the day...

The cabins are like 35 bucks a night.... and the food over the fire is awesome if you can get sadclown to show up with his dutch oven....

There is also a motel in Rochester near the Walmart that isn't bad at all if you can't get the wife to do the cabin thing... Nice accommodations...

As far as the cabins, they have electricity and bunks and a table and benches with a fire pit out side...

tippe2848hdr.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ngo-general-post-part-7-a-59.html#post4566192

Other 2 options but you must become a member are
    The valpo rifle club
    Or
    Michigan city rifle club.

See link above for all ranges in the area.

Mi city rifle club is the best of all the private clubs imo.
    Very nice facility, indoor plumbing for bath room, indoor heated shooting as well, 200 yard range too.
    The only thing for me personally is the distance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom