• Status
    Not open for further replies.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    There is a Mexican place near where the old Porter County Hospital used to be, off Lincoln called La Cabana. It is a favorite place to go for my girlfriend and myself. Great place to eat, best salsa in Valparaiso. And it is usually under $30 for 2 dinners and an appetizer. Since I open carry, I can honestly say that I have never had a margerita there, but my girlfriend loves there rainbow margerita.

I have prolly been there 10 times in the last year, and never once was carrying an issue to them.

La Cabana, Valparaiso - Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    There is a Mexican place near where the old Porter County Hospital used to be, off Lincoln called La Cabana. It is a favorite place to go for my girlfriend and myself. Great place to eat, best salsa in Valparaiso. And it is usually under $30 for 2 dinners and an appetizer. Since I open carry, I can honestly say that I have never had a margerita there, but my girlfriend loves there rainbow margerita.

I have prolly been there 10 times in the last year, and never once was carrying an issue to them.

Do they have real food too?

Not a big fan of most of the Mexican food we can get in the US.

I do have a favorite Mexican SEAFOOD restaurant (in So. Chicago Heights) that makes it like they make it on the Pacific coast of Mexico. I also like some of the traditional offerings like goat tacos from several little shops on Chicago's south & east sides. But when it comes to 99% of the Mexican restaurants, I'll just pass. Especially if they cater to us "gringo" types.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Do they have real food too?

Not a big fan of most of the Mexican food we can get in the US.

I do have a favorite Mexican SEAFOOD restaurant (in So. Chicago Heights) that makes it like they make it on the Pacific coast of Mexico. I also like some of the traditional offerings like goat tacos from several little shops on Chicago's south & east sides. But when it comes to 99% of the Mexican restaurants, I'll just pass. Especially if they cater to us "gringo" types.

They do cater to the gringo's, but I love their pork burrito with shrimp. And both times I had fajita's have always been better than chili's or El Salto's. My girlfriend has had every fajita they make, and she loves the carnitas.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Same with Chinese food. What we know as Chinese food is nothing like the real stuff.

Which is why I spend so much time in Chinatown eating Dim Sum, shopping at the Chinese markets, bringing home the ducks that hang in the shop windows, etc.

Oh sure, in a pinch I'll get local carry out, but I drive from suburban Lowellabama all the way up to Main Street/Dyer for my Chinese Food, and even that is way way too Americanized.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Which is why I spend so much time in Chinatown eating Dim Sum, shopping at the Chinese markets, bringing home the ducks that hang in the shop windows, etc.

Oh sure, in a pinch I'll get local carry out, but I drive from suburban Lowellabama all the way up to Main Street/Dyer for my Chinese Food, and even that is way way too Americanized.

New Garden?

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In

Now up to three choices and counting.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    New Garden?

Won Kow, Emperor's Choice, Phoenix, Lao Hunan, Wing Chan BBQ and a couple others. Not familiar with New Garden.

I spent a good 5-6 years working in the fields n I was the only guy with a sunburn. Those dudes would bring in some tasty dishes.

ETA: Haven't a clue what they were, I don't speak Spanish and they didn't speak English.
    Sometimes best not to ask if you are squeamish.

Double ditto with Asian offerings! But if you go with my family you are likely to see chicken feet, tripe and all sorts of nasty crap on the table to savor!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom