• Status
    Not open for further replies.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    We are are still searching where we want to move. We think we want a few acres at least so we can have a barn for toys, build a small dirt bike track, maybe have some woods to toss a tree stand in for fun, have a chicken coop and a small garden. Maybe even Some goats...

Now my question is, how much land do you need to shoot a gun on for a target range. I think Bob once told me it was 1.01 acres and 500ft to nearest building... Can any one confirm this? I could just be making it up and thinking some one told me...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    We are are still searching where we want to move. We think we want a few acres at least so we can have a barn for toys, build a small dirt bike track, maybe have some woods to toss a tree stand in for fun, have a chicken coop and a small garden. Maybe even Some goats...

Now my question is, how much land do you need to shoot a gun on for a target range. I think Bob once told me it was 1.01 acres and 500ft to nearest building... Can any one confirm this? I could just be making it up and thinking some one told me...
    That would all depend upon where you ended up buying. The laws are different county to county.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    That would all depend upon where you ended up buying. The laws are different county to county.

Ah, makes sense. Lake, porter, Newton, jasper or laporte are our options. I'd love to leave Lake County though. If any one knows the law in any of these counties, please let me know..

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

Home range lake county
    ATTENTION N.W.Indiana residents who want to shoot on your own land, I have posted this information in several threads in response to questions, figured that the NWI thread may be a good place to deposit this information too:
    LAKE COUNTY has a shooting ordinance. NOT every county has one. YOU must check with your county to see if there are any rules. However, in LAKE COUNTY the actual ordinance that PASSED is1314B, it was PASSED on August 11th, 2009.
    The passed and signed ordinance actually reads:
    "That the Lake County Council now prohibits the discharge of a firearm for the sole purpose of target shooting or practice shooting within 200 feet of the property lines of a platted, approved and developed multi-lot subdivision of one acre lots or less, as defined in the Lake County Code."
    ALSO, be aware of NOISE ordinances that will affect the shooting TIMES that are legal (these same times apply to all loud noises like lawn mowing, fireworks, etc.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Yes and No.

In UNINCORPORATED LAKE COUNTY, if you are in a platted subdivision you need anything over 1 acre.

If you are OUTSIDE of a platted subdivision there is no minimum.

There is CURRENTLY no minimum distance to a structure. 1 acre of ground is roughly 206' by 206' square. As Jay noted above, the county code says 200 feet from a property line, but that applies to the properties INSIDE of a platted subdivision with a property of 1 acre, so that means its impossible to shoot on them even because you can never find a spot that is 201 feet from your border.

I would suggest that you look for no less than 3 acres if you want to shoot.

There are also noise restrictions to deal with, I don't recall the exact start time, but I think its 8am. Might be 9am? Ending time is either 10 or 10:30pm.

There are also neighbors to deal with. Noise travels a long distance. The sheriff WILL RESPOND to every complaint, even if you are legal so it can become a hassle even if you are doing nothing wrong.

The more land you have the better, it mitigates noise and may insulate you from any future proposal to impose a minimum distance to a structure. I'd look for hilly property, let the hill be your backstop. This is Indiana so hills are hard to come by, but a lot of land within a half-mile of a creek will have some roll to it.

I have no clue if other counties have similar codes.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Every time that I'm at your place I'm amazed of all the other gun fire in your area. It's a shooters paradise :D
    It is nice. The only one to complain that I know of, is a farmer who doesn't even live here. He just farms the land around mine. The Sheriff's Deputies must have set him straight though. They haven't had to come back.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What is the eye relief on that scope? Given how far forward its mounted, is it a "scout scope" design?

It is nice. The only one to complain that I know of, is a farmer who doesn't even live here. He just farms the land around mine. The Sheriff's Deputies must have set him straight though. They haven't had to come back.

meh, only complaint I ever got down here in south lake county was from my next door neighbor, that was after multiple people shooting non-stop for about 90 minutes and letting fly probably a 1000 rounds . . . during the day of a party for his daughter.

BTW, I had no clue they were having a party that day

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom