• Status
    Not open for further replies.

3floydsfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Highland
    Anyone like really really really hoppy beers?

I brewed two batches of an experimental wheat ale a few weeks ago. The first one got kegged a couple days ago and is almost done carbonating. The other is still taking its sweet time fermenting, the yeast hasn't dropped out of solution yet.

The one I kegged is really, really good. Hopped during the brewing process with several handfuls of the hops I've got growing in the woods behind my house. I labeled the vines with a shim that I wrote on with pencil, not realizing pencil didn't hold up in the weather. I haven't a clue what varieties I've got. So, I just experiment with them. Every year I make 4-5 batches brewed with a handful of hops from the various vines (have at least 5 varieties). They've never been bad, but never been good either. Just kinda middle of the road good beers.

This one though, I wish I knew which vines I dumped at which times during the boil. It ticks most of the boxes I want in a good IPA. Only thing I'd do differently (If I knew what I did in the first place) is to strengthen the malt backbone of the beer. Being a wheat-base it's rather light and kinda lopsided towards the hops. The bittering hops don't have a sweet malt to even them out.

Regardless, it's a tongue-destroying bitter pale wheat ale dry hopped with Citra hops and it works.

It's beers like this that make me wish I was more organized and particular about what I was making. I brewed it with 3 handfuls of this, 4 handfuls of that, a coffee can of this malt, three or four of another, a coffee cup of this hop, and a shot glass of another.

If anyone likes hardcore pale ales, let me know. I'll bottle a few and bring to the clubhouse.

Homebrewing isn't as fun if you don't share and get feedback.

ETA: if you're planning on enjoying a smoke while drinking this beer, better grab a full-full cigar. Smoked a La Herencia Cubana CORE and the beer nearly overpowered the cigar, and that's a pretty potent stick.

Sign me up, I enjoy a good hop bomb more than most. Thanks Dan.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    On that note, time for me to head to ****cago too.

Hey Jedi, when are you buying Blackies? :):

Now I'm on my way to :poop:cago. :xmad: Didn't wanna get out of bed this morning, then walked out of my house and said what the F is this sh...for the SECOND day in spring, in a row. :xmad: :xmad:

Anyways, I didn't know KLB was joining for the Blackie's trip! Soon as it gets nicer out, we'll go. Blackie's burgers better be :drool: worthy!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Now I'm on my way to :poop:cago. :xmad: Didn't wanna get out of bed this morning, then walked out of my house and said what the F is this sh...for the SECOND day in spring, in a row. :xmad: :xmad:

Anyways, I didn't know KLB was joining for the Blackie's trip! Soon as it gets nicer out, we'll go. Blackie's burgers better be :drool: worthy!
    They're pretty good.

I kind of invited myself. It is only a couple of blocks from my office. :):

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Anyone like really really really hoppy beers?

I brewed two batches of an experimental wheat ale a few weeks ago. The first one got kegged a couple days ago and is almost done carbonating. The other is still taking its sweet time fermenting, the yeast hasn't dropped out of solution yet.

The one I kegged is really, really good. Hopped during the brewing process with several handfuls of the hops I've got growing in the woods behind my house. I labeled the vines with a shim that I wrote on with pencil, not realizing pencil didn't hold up in the weather. I haven't a clue what varieties I've got. So, I just experiment with them. Every year I make 4-5 batches brewed with a handful of hops from the various vines (have at least 5 varieties). They've never been bad, but never been good either. Just kinda middle of the road good beers.

This one though, I wish I knew which vines I dumped at which times during the boil. It ticks most of the boxes I want in a good IPA. Only thing I'd do differently (If I knew what I did in the first place) is to strengthen the malt backbone of the beer. Being a wheat-base it's rather light and kinda lopsided towards the hops. The bittering hops don't have a sweet malt to even them out.

Regardless, it's a tongue-destroying bitter pale wheat ale dry hopped with Citra hops and it works.

It's beers like this that make me wish I was more organized and particular about what I was making. I brewed it with 3 handfuls of this, 4 handfuls of that, a coffee can of this malt, three or four of another, a coffee cup of this hop, and a shot glass of another.

If anyone likes hardcore pale ales, let me know. I'll bottle a few and bring to the clubhouse.

Homebrewing isn't as fun if you don't share and get feedback.

ETA: if you're planning on enjoying a smoke while drinking this beer, better grab a full-full cigar. Smoked a La Herencia Cubana CORE and the beer nearly overpowered the cigar, and that's a pretty potent stick.
    I'd love to try it. I have a Barley Wine you can check out too. The IPA I have on tap is a mild one - but still tasty.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Did you not get the memo? Winter does not want to go away. In fact winter will be here until June he says. :faint:

They're pretty good.

I kind of invited myself. It is only a couple of blocks from my office. :):

^This! He best bring his PORTER county money or else he be doing the dishes in the back room.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Did you not get the memo? Winter does not want to go away. In fact winter will be here until June he says. :faint:

^This! He best bring his PORTER county money or else he be doing the dishes in the back room.
    Nuh-uh. I heard Jedi was buying! I am doing my best thug imitation, showing up for freebies. :):

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Got off work this morning. I drove to portage to pick up a pocket gun from my sister, that I let her borrow a couple years ago. I was going to stop at bass pro for some ammo, but it was 15 minutes out of the way, so I figured I'd stop at gander mountain on the way home. What the heck, I got there about 830. They don't open til 9, and there's 15 cars in the lot. About 845 everybody gets out of their cars and heads to the doors. Silly me, I think they opened early because I see people walking inside.

Apperantly the inside doors were still locked, just the outside doors were unlocked. So I casually say, is there something going on today. One guy just shrugs, I ask another patron if there's something going on, he says I don't know.... This happend like 5 times, each time, nobody wants to answer me or talk to me. By this time there's like 30 some odd people waiting for the place to open. Then I hear someone say they said they don't have any 22's today. A couple people get fed up and leave.

I'm still standing there thinking I just want a box or two of target 9mm and look at pocket holsters. And judging by the friendliness of the bunch, I decide to just leave. I head out, before the door opens and driving home I hear an ad on the radio that gander mountain is having a grand reopening and the 1st 100 people through the door on Friday and Saturday will get a $10 gift card.

i just wanted to look at holsters and get 2 boxes of ammo, and people were just rude, like they were afraid to say what was going on, and as I left I heard people talking quietly about ammo. Just gave me a bad taste in my mouth like the majority of the people there were just there to get their $10 off and buy ammo then turn and sell it for profit.

that may not be the case, but the shady way they were acting, just didn't sit right with me.

I ended up stopping and the Sportsmens store in cedar lake, for the first time. And I did find a nice pocket holster, and met the folks there, they seemed like real good people. They didn't have a lot of anything, but the had a little of just about everything outdoors related. I will be going back and giving them my business, very friendly people.

Now I just need to find some target 9mm for the shoot next weekend, so I can test this little guy out. And I was wrong, it's been so long since I bought it I forgot what it was. It's a Taurus Slim 9. Interesting little gun.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    But you are not a gg and thus Jedi is not afraid of you. :p
    Yes, but he is a redneck, and so is gg...and she has thug roots, so that's double trouble for you, because, while KLB doesn't need gg's help, she's got his back. Plus, we know how you react with the threat of ticks. I wonder what other kinds of scary bugs we can find to get you with. :evilangel:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yes, but he is a redneck, and so is gg...and she has thug roots, so that's double trouble for you, because, while KLB doesn't need gg's help, she's got his back. Plus, we know how you react with the threat of ticks. I wonder what other kinds of scary bugs we can find to get you with. :evilangel:
    :lmfao:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you guys need more ticks, or perhaps some vultures, or some coyotes that you want to drop off at Jedi's house you can stock up at my place too. I have a surplus. Might even throw in some excess field mice to fill up your truck.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If you guys need more ticks, or perhaps some vultures, or some coyotes that you want to drop off at Jedi's house you can stock up at my place too. I have a surplus. Might even throw in some excess field mice to fill up your truck.
    Oh. good ideas. I too have Coyotes to spare, and my berm was like a field mouse city this winter when I went out there. I moved some wood and a whole gaggle of them went scurrying around.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Really that is a low blow.
    As for the video i suspect he is a plant for the other side.
    If so one again i admire their tactics too bad this side won't do that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom